PDA

View Full Version : The department store gun and scope

rbstern
03-16-2006, 05:06 PM
A while back, I had picked up a Foremost 6400, aka Savage 340, in 30-30. Foremost was JC Penney's house brand. I had read good things about the accuracy and durability of this ugly utility rifle, Figured I would try it and see if it provided an outlet for my 30-30 casting and handloading adventures. There aren't a lot of 30-30 bolt guns around; this one was inexpensive and in very good condition.

The previous owner had parkerized it; no harm on an already ugly gun. He did a neat job. Honey colored/checked stock, similar to Glenfield branded 30-30 leverguns.

This rifle begged a low power scope. The only scope I had handy was a Whitetail Classic 3-9x, and it just looked wrong on the gun. Too modern. I set about looking at shops, shows and online auctions for a 2.5x, 3x, or 4x scope, preferrably an old Weaver or Redfield, for a period authentic match to the rifle.

Lost out on a bunch of auctions for Weavers and Redfields, which seem to go at a bit of a premium. Finally happened across an older Sears scope on eBay. Looked like a Weaver in the pictures. Seller had bought it for a Winchester lever gun 30 years ago, never mounted it, didn't have the original instructions, couldn't remember what power it was, but still had the orignal box with the Sears model number. I searched high and low for the specs, but it was just too long out of production to find any info. Figured I would take a chance. Got it for a whopping $27 plus shipping.

When the scope arrived, it was in the included mount. I took the rings off and found it was marked "Sears 3X" and had a patent number. Looked up the patent, and sure enough, it was Weaver's patent. The scope is a Sears branded K3 in brand new condition. A perfect find for this gun.

Mounted it on the gun. It's so ugly it's beautiful, like a picture of a 50 year old model kitchen with gleaming formica and chrome. Everything about the look of the setup says "I was made in the 1960s!" Like a slice of American Graffiti.

Anyway, off to the range with this puppy in the next few days. Shooting report and ugly photos to follow.

Jumptrap
03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
A while back, I had picked up a Foremost 6400, aka Savage 340, in 30-30. Foremost was JC Penney's house brand. I had read good things about the accuracy and durability of this ugly utility rifle, Figured I would try it and see if it provided an outlet for my 30-30 casting and handloading adventures. There aren't a lot of 30-30 bolt guns around; this one was inexpensive and in very good condition.

The previous owner had parkerized it; no harm on an already ugly gun.
Anyway, off to the range with this puppy in the next few days. Shooting report and ugly photos to follow.

Well, my Momma always sed, Ugly is as Ugly does. I've had a lot of ugly guns, big guns and small guns and short guns and long guns. You know what? Them ugly guns was always the funnest guns I ever had. My momma always sed that ugly guns shoots the best because nobody loves'em. Now one time, I had me this ugly 22 MAGNUM gun, it sed Rev-e-la-tion on it but it was really a Mossberg. I shot and shot and shot that gun. But it was ugly. It didn't know it was ugly though and shot like it was purty. My momma always sed that sometimes things are soo Ug-ly they start to look purty. That gun DID!

StarMetal
03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh geez....now we have a Forest Jumptrap...or Jumptrap Gump...take your pic.

:kidding:

Joe

C1PNR
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Hehehehe,
That was cute Starman.

I just hope Jump appreciates the mental gymnastics you had to go through to think it up!

omgb
03-17-2006, 02:22 AM
How about a pic?

Bret4207
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Mossberg, Stevens, Savage, Springfield, Revaltion, Ted Williams, Western Auto, H+R, Itahca, Montgomery Wards, Trustworthy, JC Higgins- yup. There were a bazillion ugly ol' house or ecenomy brands years ago. Most were darn good shooters for the $18-35.00 they cost. Even a beat up Mossberg "ugly gun" still has the potential to be cleaned up and made into a cherished possesion.

Garage sale season is just around the corner guys. Seek and ye shall find.....

wills
03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes, got a JC higgins .410 at the same garage sale i got the baby rolling block.

Randy in Arizona
03-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I got an old Savage 340 in 222 Remington in my misspent youth that I wish to hell I had never gotten rid of.

I traded it for a Remington 788 in 22-250 that would separate cases after only 3 or 4 firings. I figure the section of bolt between the chamber and the locking lugs was compressing and letting the cases stretch a bunch. Shot >.5 MOA but I got rid of it.

Still looking for a replacement, I love to find a Sako Vixen, but can probably afford a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 223 from WallyWorld.

Dorf
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Pretty hard to beat those old 788's-- priced one at the gun shows lately? I had one that I got for installing a water heater. The guy's wife didn't want it in the house so he put it in a case and left it in the garage for a couple of years -- being in a cold climate and the freeze and thaw cycle, it got a bit "red". The rust on the receiver was scaled and also the front 8" or so of the bore. I couldn't clean it up enough to fire it so, out to the bench vise and a piece of flatbar thru the action and off comes the barrel (Man!! Remington must have had some of those Japanese sumo wrestlers put those things on) and replaced with a Numrich .308. The darn thing shot quite well, 11/16" and 3/4" groups were quite common -- even got 150 gr handloads up to just under 2700 fps out of that 20" barrel. Nice guns!!