PDA

View Full Version : Cap & Ball 1860?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
A few questions for you guys (and ladies) with cap and ball guns. I really like the look and feel of the Colt 1860s in 44. My friend owns an engraved original. I would like to get one (or two) of my own to have fun with. Who makes the best replicas of the 1860s? I hear Colt is still making them, how do they compare to the originals? Also just as a side line, how old do you have to be to own one? My guess was 21, but someone told me because they are considered an antique even an 18 year old can have one, is this true? Thank you for your input.

woodsie57
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
They can be sold through the mail, as they aren't classified as a firearm. [see Cabelas, for instance]. Age thing will vary by state.

docone31
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
First off, avoid the brass frame models. They shoot loose after a while.
Second, Either a Pietta, or Uberti is good quality. Most of the steel frame models are either one or the other of the two.
It has been so long since I had to worry about age, I am not certain on that one. The vendors will tell you. They have to ask your age at the time of sale.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Are brass trigger frames bad? Uberti are a little bit more $ than the Pietta, are they worth the extra $?

docone31
06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Brass trigger frames are ok. From what I have heard, either Uberti, or Pietta are good. I got a Pietta .44 Navy for the wife. She likes it. It is a good, tight, pistol with a lot of downrange performance. She also likes my Walker but finds it a touch heavy.

Hang Fire
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Are brass trigger frames bad? Uberti are a little bit more $ than the Pietta, are they worth the extra $?

At one time Uberti had it all hollow over the Pietta as to quality, but that has now all changed since Pietta went to CAD/CAM/CNC machine tools. A while back I picked up a Pietta 1858 Remmie from Cabela's and was simply amazed at the quality for around a 200 dollar price.

jmforge
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
At one time Uberti had it all hollow over the Pietta as to quality, but that has now all changed since Pietta went to CAD/CAM/CNC machine tools. A while back I picked up a Pietta 1858 Remmie from Cabela's and was simply amazed at the quality for around a 200 dollar price.
i saw one of the Pietta stainless 5 1/2 inch Remmie's at Cabelas this past weekend.. it was $300 but it was a really good looking pistol! As for the OP's question, I have heard a lot of people say that the Remington design is just better than the Colt. It definitely looks a lot more like a modern revolver. Guys seemed to think so during the Civil War as you had to buy a Remington out of your own pocket most of the time and a goodly number of folks did just that.

Jim
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
2Anut,
Everybody here has given you EXCELLENT advice. There's nothing I can add but heed what you've been told.

Marvin S
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
If you can buy it in person and cycle through all of the chambers and make sure it is timed right and every thing works and looks right. Other wise what everyone else already said.

mazo kid
06-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I think both Pietta and Uberti are making good stuff . I have both and am satisfied with performance and fit/function. Granted, there are the usual "lemons" that pop up occasionally. Now, if you want the ultimate in a C&B revolver, then the USFA is top rate! And yes, you will pay for that quality.

jhrosier
06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
.... Now, if you want the ultimate in a C&B revolver, then the USFA is top rate! And yes, you will pay for that quality.

USFA is making an 1860?
First I've heard of it.
Got a website to someone selling them?

Jack

arcticap
07-02-2009, 03:03 AM
They were fitting and assembling them some years ago from rough Uberti castings. I saw a used one in the box recently at a local gun shop and it was "in the white" which is considered to be very uncommon.

JIMinPHX
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I am unaware of Colt still making 1860 C&B revolvers. A lot of guys refer to a colt clone simply by the name of the gun that it copies - e.g. a '51 colt navy.

C&B revolvers are unregulated by federal law. You only need to worry about your state & local laws when buying one. In places like Kentucky, I've seen them out in the open at a sporting goods store, on a shelf that was low enough for a 10-year old to reach. No paperwork was required. It was just cash & carry.

The '58 Remington style revolvers are stronger than the open tops. The '58 also lets you have multiple cylinders for quick reloads & lets you load the cylinder outside the gun with a separate loading fixture that is much easier to use. The open top guns are usually a little cheaper & shoot just as well. The ones I have used are surprisingly accurate.

I have seen beginner kits in places like Sportsman's Warehouse that have the gun, powder flask, capper, balls, nipple pick, nipple wrench & some other stuff for less than $250. That is a real good way to get started. That + a can of powder & a tin of caps is everything that you need to start shooting. Cabella's has nice holsters for carrying the C&B revolvers.

Make sure that you get the right caps. Some C&B revolvers take a #10 & some take a #11. Also be sure to get the right powder. Pyrdex P (P for Pistol - easy to remember) is the one I usually use. There are also other brands of synthetic black powder that can be used & of course the real stuff - holy black. Just be sure to get the right granulation for a pistol if you go that route. Absolutely, positively do NOT use modern smokeless powder in one of those.

Bloodman14
09-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Sorta off topic, but if BP C&B revolvers are not considered firearms (can't remember the specific 922-925 reg), how does this affect carry (open, concealed(!))?
Just curious.

bob208
09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
either one of the makers knoted are good. as to the model the 60 armies are nice to look at the same as the 51 navies. but to shoot and shoot it a lot get a remington in either .36 or .44. they both seem to hit harder then the colts. they are eaiser to clean after shooting. and a lot less moving parts to get out of wack. also they have less places for a cap fragment to get in to and tie up the works.

crazy mark
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Sorta off topic, but if BP C&B revolvers are not considered firearms (can't remember the specific 922-925 reg), how does this affect carry (open, concealed(!))?
Just curious.

It's up to the local jurisdiction. Here in Oregon as long as you aren't banned by law from owning a firearm you can open carry a BP except in the usual places that are marked or fed govt or courthouses. If you can't own a firearm don't think you can have a BP one in Oregon.

wills
09-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Also just as a side line, how old do you have to be to own one? My guess was 21, but someone told me because they are considered an antique even an 18 year old can have one, is this true? Thank you for your input.

This may be kind of a silly idea, but how about looking at the law? The statutes are online.

Bloodman14
10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Crazymark, that is another good question; if the BATFE does not classify BP revolvers as firearms, what about criminals buying/owning/carrying them? I'm going to look that up, and let all know.

shunka
10-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Just curious.

You are dealing with multiple jurisdictions and agencies and laws.

BATF (Fed) classes muzzleloaders and C&B revolvers as "not a firearm" for purpose of sale and interstate shipment.

That is completely separate and not relevant to your local municipal, county, and state laws concerning "weapons" and concealed and open carry of "weapons". For example, you can buy a huge bowie knife through the mail, but in various cities or states a 6" Bowie cannot be carried openly on the belt, and various other "weapons" are regulated similarly. Often a C&B revolver falls under local laws as a "weapon".

Do not rely on the opinion of your local friendly LEO. Most Law Enforcement is not sufficiently familiar with ALL their own laws. Your local D.A. should be able to advise you, but be aware that the D.A. is often an elected official and their legal opinion may be affected by politics. However, the D.A. is also the office that would be deciding whether or not to bring charges and prosecute, should the LEO bring you in.

Crazymark, that is another good question; if the BATFE does not classify BP revolvers as firearms, what about criminals buying/owning/carrying them? I'm going to look that up, and let all know.

Gunnerd - this is again a matter of local jurisdiction, and is also subject to confusion. Just recently an ex-con felon was prosecuted by the City D.A. for posession of a BP muzzleloading rifle, which he purchased for deer hunting. He had been assured by the local P.D., the gunshop he bought it at, and his parole officer that "he would be fine".

If you recall the old "Dukes of Hazard" they had bows for deer hunting because of the felony conviction for liquor running.

hope this helps
shunka