PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or RCBS for pistol molds?

EKE
06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Hello all, first post and I have a question.

I started casting about a year and a half ago with Lee molds and pot. I have 3 Lyman molds as well. Only the .356 Devastator HP throws round bullets. I have had no problems with this mold, however the other two (452374 Devastator HP and the 452374 2 cavity 225 RN) are both out of spec. The 45 Devastator is round but undersized, it throws boolits at .450 and causes pretty bad leading in the barrel. The other mold measures .455 along the mold seam and .449 across the seam. Alloy used was both WW and 30:1

I have read about others that have had undersized or out of round Lyman molds. My question is, how does this compare to the RCBS molds? Should I send these back and exchange them for a different set of Lymans from Midway or exchange them for the RCBS?

MT Gianni
06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Both seem undersized. I would return them to Lyman or call them first asking their opinion. I don't worry much about being out or round 2-3 thousands as long as it is taken care of in the sizer. Too smal can't be sized evenly too large comes out easily. RCBS has had some quality issues recently but make a quality product with the best warrenty around.

EKE
06-24-2009, 11:13 PM
When I called Lyman about the problem they seemed concerned and wanted the molds sent back to them instead of exchanged at Midway. They also said the turn around time to replace them was about 9 weeks. Not sure why it would be that long but I don't want to wait over 2 months for replacements.

Midway was very nice in offering to exchange them for a different mold or brand if I choose. They also said they would exchange the factory Lyman mold handles for RCBS handles if I went with those molds. The Lyman handles were ordered about a year ago.

The RCBS molds I am thinking about are the .45 230 grain round nose and the .358 150 grain SWC. I will just send them both to Erik at Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service and have them Cramer converted with an extra set of flat point pins made for each. Then I can sell the remaining .356 Devastator mold.

So tell me about some of these quality problems that RCBS has been having compared to the Lyman problems.

Shiloh
06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I sold a Lyman 311299 and purchased a 314299 in its place. The 311299 dropped a slug that measured barely .310 on the bands and 298 on the nose. Too small, especially the nose.

Some folks here have this mold that drops as large as .311+ with . 3015 nose. That would be perfect for me.

Shiloh

NHlever
06-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I have the RCBS 44-245 KT mold on the way back to RCBS now. I think the vent lines are too deep, and they said that that it is possible. I've heard of a few others with that problem, but have not heard of other problems with their molds. I have the 358 -150 swc, the 458-300 molds also, and they both cast very good boolits with no problems.

HeavyMetal
06-25-2009, 09:24 AM
I have no experience with the RCBS 230 RNL mold but I do own the 357 150 SWC and a finer mold I have never owned!

RCBS will fix anything you have a ligit issue with. However I think you should play with you Lyman molds a bit before you sell or swap them off.

Every mold, just like every gun, can require a little something special to make it perfrom right.

If you haven't played with a couple alloy combinations you should. If your using just WW metal a little lead free solder might help fillout and bring those molds in line for you.

.450 to .452 seems a lot to "adjust" and that mold may not respond well to an alloy change but you should try. if your using a release agent remove that as well.

I own the Lyman HP mold as well and diameter is not a problem with mine, however your's is, again, a different mold and may not come around.

Yes I also think 9 weeks is way to long to replace a "faulty" mold.

pdawg_shooter
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I dont worry about a little out of round. Time you push these bullets down a round barrel with 15 or 16000psi behind them they exit about as round as can be made.

fredj338
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I have molds from Lyman, Saeco, RCBS, Magma & Lee. I must be lucky as all make good bullets. Most of the molds are older though. Maybe current demand for molds & such is causing QC issues?

DAFzipper
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Return it and order one of the 200gr HP cramer molds from MiHec!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56639

EKE
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the link. That is a nice looking mold. I think I am gonna get that regardless of what I end up doing with the Lyman molds.

Does anyone think that lapping my current molds would help? How difficult is it to take that much off of a steel mold and what are the results like?

I appreciate all the advice that I have learned while visiting this site. Thanks everyone.

NHlever
06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
You would have to be very careful with the process to lap .002 from a steel mold without rounding some edges in the mold. Certainly it would take a number of laps as the material was removed. I would see what Lyman will do about it first for sure, or just exchange them with Midway.

EKE
06-25-2009, 08:24 PM
I put my name on the list for one of the 200 gr HP brass molds. I think I will send them back to Midway and exchange them for a different caliber.

I still have 2 Lee molds for the 45, a 230 RN TL and a 230 TC TL. They both shoot excellent out of a friends Taurus 1911 but I have had a little trouble getting them to feed well in a Lone Wolf Barrel for my Glock 30. The Lyman 45 Devastator shoots well in that barrel but leads badly. The Lyman 225 gr shoots groups of about 8-10" at 20 yards offhand and from a sandbag I can't get any better than 6".

jdgabbard
06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
While I prefer Lyman, there are a few RCBS molds I'd like to have. But I'm sure you'd be very happy with owning either one.

As to your issue of being a little undersized, well try a little more heat and like mentioned above, a little more tin. I had a .358 mold that was dropping about .357. I stopped smoking the mold, and cleaned it up with a toothbrush and a little toothpaste and behold, when I added a little tin to the mix I got boolits dropping at .359 - .360. Try it out.