PDA

View Full Version : Help...92 Win cal 25wcf or 32wcf

.45Cole
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I was sure that I wanted a 25 but also have been debating a 32 for some time. CAN'T DO BOTH as I'm sure many would propose as a solution (but thanks for the brainstorming:-D) as one is extremely cost prohibitive already. Speed (like + 200fps) and a better BC in the 25, but a fun gun in the 32. there are more bullet choices in the 32, but i would have to come up with new powders (h110 and AA#5 planned in 25). the 32 would hold more energy at a longer range and would take more kindly to reduced loads I think. Really in a jam. Any help with reason for preference appreciated.:confused:

pietro
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Get a thirty-two gun, if you want some fun. :drinks:

Or,

I could REALLY put you between a rock and a hard place by suggesting.................

a takedown model or conversion, with a two-barrel/mag set, one in .25-20, and one in .32-20. ;) :D

Mavrick
06-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Being a super-fan of the .25's, I'd say "jump on it!" I'd be all over that .25/20.
When my choice came along, I had an M94(Winchester), so what I did was make it into a .25/35 (Improved) I then set out to end up with a versatile carbine. It has a 22" barrel and a 4-round magazine. It also has a Redfield peep-sight.
Since we're only discussing Boolits, I don't see a lot of difference with the .32 for a variety of boolits. I only use a Lyman 64-grain round-nose with a medium meplat.
As a squirrel-rifle, I use that bullet (in Linotype) @1200-1600fps. As a rabbit or chuck-rifle, I jack it up to 1600-1800fps. For tin cans, dirt clumps, and other "stuff," it could be any where from 1200fps to 2200fps. The loads wouldn't matter because mine is a much larger case, but I'm trying to help you decide between the .25 and the .32.
If you want to play with the 86-grain, go for it. It really doesn't matter, as you are not concerned with expansion on small game. You have more velocity range with the lighter boolit, tho'.
Many's the time I wish I had an M92 .25/20, but cost prohibitive is the right word. Even changing the M94 wasn't THAT bad!
Have fun,
Gene

NHlever
06-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice to hear that the 25-35 works well with boolits. I happen to know where there is a VERY clean one for only a little bit too much money. I've had two Marlin 1894 CL 25-20's and had very poor luck with both of them using boolits. Short of rebarreling them I tried just about everything. I may try a 32-20 if I see one though.

Four Fingers of Death
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Get a thirty-two gun, if you want some fun. :drinks:

Or,

I could REALLY put you between a rock and a hard place by suggesting.................

a takedown model or conversion, with a two-barrel/mag set, one in .25-20, and one in .32-20. ;) :D

That would make a nice outfit, but it would be cheaper to buy two rifles.

I have both and like them, but if I had to chose, I'd go the 32 as it is more flexible.

If you are looking for this style of rifle, a Rossi in 38/357 Mag is nice. The one in my avitar is one of the cheapest, but best rifles I have ever owned. It gobbles up 38s with light loads and 357s with gonzo loads. The 38/357 is the best of the three, but is a modern cartridge that doesn't have the cred because it only came out in 1899 or thereabouts and the 357, heck, 1935. Did I mention cheap to run? Boy! they practically give away 38 and 357 cases and they last really well and don't need lubing when you reload them.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, I'll sign off.
Four Fingers.

Bret4207
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I have both the 25-20 and 32-20. The 32 is easier to get shooting right and the 25 has a bit more range, or I should say less drop so it's easier to hit with "out there a ways". The 32 definitely has a lot more thump. The 25 is louder, the 32 uses more lead and powder. Starline makes beautiful 32WCF brass, they don't make 25 WCF brass so there's extra work involved. The 32 is easier to handle when loading, the 32 boolits are easier, for me, to cast and size. There are a decent bunch of moulds available for both. 30 cal gas checks will be around as long as there are gas checks. 25's...not so much.

I have a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 with a worn out barrel. If I ever get it going again it'll be a toss up between the 25 and 32. I still don;t know which one I'd pick.

358wcf
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Gotta love the 32-20.
If you are kind to the thin cases, this is a wonderful little round for reloading, and a kick in the pants for shooting-
Use light loads for breaking in new shooters- no noise or recoil.
You can load it stout for bigger critters as you see fit-
My Browning 53 has never had factory ammo in it since new- groups to 1/2" at 50yds with lyman receiver sights-
Talk about cheap shooting- this is it.

I bought the Browning to convert to 357Mag, and after shooting it, canned that idea real quick-

32wcf is the way to go!!!!!

358wcf

358wcf
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I stated above that the Browning had never had factory loads in it-- I forgot that I put two boxes of factory lead loads in it to get the brass many years ago--
Old eyes, most the other parts work, sometimes-- perhaps a brain-fart??

358wcf

06-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Since I love Win 92s either one! But will totally agree with what Bret4207 said. If both are in about equal condition, particularly bore condition , I'd go with the 32. If you are all about velocity then that's a horse of a different color. At some point they are mutually exlcusive concepts or at a minimum problematic with cast bullets, especially in the smaller diameters. No problem pushing a cast bullet to 2-3000 fps. Big problem, all anon internet forum yabutts aside, pushing smaller cast bullets very fast without leading and with top accuracy.

Bret4207
06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
......all anon internet forum yabutts aside,.......

"internet yabutts". I like that, took me a minute but that's as good a name for them as any I've heard.:drinks:

.45Cole
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
thanks for all the responses and thoughts, After reading pet loads, brian pierce handloader article, paco kelly, and all the loading books i could find, I think that I will go with the .32. Of course in the end, I will prob buy the first DEAL i come across, be it .25 or .32 persuasion. I would love to own a piece of american history, but shooting any j bullets through a 1900's 92 may not be the best bet. I have noticed that browning has a nice non-american m53. Maybe that is the way to go???

Pietro--nice. I thought I had all the 'both gun' responses under control. That would be a great idea :idea:, but I always hear that takedowns are WAY less accurate than a solid rifle.

shdwlkr
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I have a 32-20 because that is what I found first, well I did trade a 25-20 marlin for my winchester because my dealer had someone who had to have a marlin 25-20 and at the time it didn't make much difference to me so I traded and put some dollars in my pocket and got some other stuff too.
If you really wanted to do it right get a take down in either caliber and get the missing caliber made then you have both in one rifle.
Me I have a winchester 92 action that I would like to build a 256 win mag on and then I do have a 25 caliber 92. think outside the box and sometimes it works.