PDA

View Full Version : New ML for Conical boolits

softpoint
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new muzzleloader, My requirements are, Easy maintenance, Accuracy with heavy conicals, I'm looking over at the Markesbery site, But I don't know a thing about them, and don't know anyone who has one. White's are hard to find, I'm told, and they have been out of buisiness for a while, I see that Knight is also gone. I've not heard good things about TC with conicals, and had a friend who had an Encore .50, who said it shot sabots well, but said he never got it to shoot conicals. What do the front stuffers here at CB say?:drinks::Fire:

docone31
06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Personally, I wouldn't.
I like the Cabelas Hawken wannabe. 1/48 twist, 28" barrel, well built rifle.
One day, when I grow up, I will have a Lyman Great Plains rifle. I am trying to save for it as we speak.
I know more people that got those types, and they still sit in their closet.
That is just me, others might like them.
Why a recoil pad with BP loads?

badgeredd
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new muzzleloader, My requirements are, Easy maintenance, Accuracy with heavy conicals, ................. What do the front stuffers here at CB say?:drinks::Fire:

I'm not sure if what I am in the process of building would qualify, but that was my thought when I started the project. It remains to be seen whether my idea was a brain fart or a good idea. I'll let you know when I get it done and have shot it some. The basis of my project is a 54 caliber barrel that I acquired from a friend years ago because his idea didn't work out. He was trying a theory of a fast twist barrel with sabots. It didn't work for him at all; the sabot stripped and accuracy was poor.

My idea is a rifle that will shoot a heavy boolit accurately. The twist is 1-24. We'll see how it turns out in the not too distant future. I'll keep you posted.

Edd

jhrosier
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
....The basis of my project is a 54 caliber barrel .... The twist is 1-24. ...

By my calculations, you will need a boolit of about 750 grs.

Jack

docone31
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Paper patching a Minie has worked for folks.
With that twist, and paper patching, might just work out.

softpoint
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm hoping to stay with .50 caliber, but .54 is OK, too. And I don't care whether it is a replica style rifle or a modern type, as long as it performs as expected. I even considered one of the Savage bolt guns. I looked at the Marksbery's on thier website. And then there is the Lyman rifles. As colonel Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." :drinks:

frontier gander
06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
CVA Accura

Geraldo
06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
One of our members was working on paper patched boolits from TC/GM barreled rifles.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=28094

HEAD0001
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
If you want a side lock the take a god look at the Lyman Deer Stalker. If you want a good deal on an inline then look at one of the older Knight MK-85's. That MK-85 is no doubt the finest rifle out there for the price they can be bought for. Adjustable trigger, Green Mountain barrel, and lots of other features for a great price if you shop a bit. Tom.

idahoron
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Geraldo, I was the one that posted that thread. Since that thread I am still shooting that load in that gun. After a lot of shooting with that load and gun I have determined it will shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards with the reliability of a Timex watch.
That load with the paper patched 500 S&W bullets are very accurate and deadly. My son shot his first ML deer last year with it. His shot was 117 yards and the bullet blew through her and she dropped like a rock.
The Lee C-501-440-RF is my favorite bullet in that gun. Ron

http://www.hunt101.com/data/541/Jacob_deer_08_-3-A.jpg

oldfart1956
06-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Well now young feller I lean to'ard the traditional guns myself. Have ya considered a traditional (NOT Traditions!) in a fast twist barrel? Lymans makes one in a 1/28 twist with a long (relativly speaking) barrel and iron furniture that's right smart puddy! I believe it even comes drilled and tapped for a rear tang/peep sight. And don't discount the slow twist barrels either. I've shot the T/C Maxiballs out of 1/66 twist barrels with reasonable powder charges and got very good accuracy from them. Same for the 1/48 barrels. It's more a matter of finding the right load of powder and not really so much of the twist rate. Now if it's sabots..then it matters. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart.

Geraldo
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Geraldo, I was the one that posted that thread.

I've admired your setup for some time, just haven't gotten to paper patching boolits yet.

fj3fury
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I've got three deer with my Knight Wolverine in 50 caliber. 300 grain CVA buckslayer slugs, 90 grains of FFFG pyrodex, and rws caps didn't fail me. My main regret when I wear this one out, Knight will not be around to sell me a replacement smoke pole. I have a 54 caliber hawken from cabelas to fall back on though. [smilie=1:

docone31
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
The Hawken shop has a great conversion kit for the Cabelas Hawken Wannabe. It is all steel. A little inletting and browning the parts and barrel, and it fits better plus it is closer to the real Hawken. Sam Hawken made only a sporatic few with brass furniture. They were mostly steel. Add a toeplate, and it is real close. The buttplate also changes the feel slightly. Makes it easier to use the rear sight.
I have done one this way.
http://www.thehawkenshop.com/misccomponent.asp
It came out real well.

RugerFan
06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking of getting a new muzzleloader, My requirements are, Easy maintenance, Accuracy with heavy conicals, I'm looking over at the Markesbery site, But I don't know a thing about them, and don't know anyone who has one. White's are hard to find, I'm told, and they have been out of buisiness for a while, I see that Knight is also gone. I've not heard good things about TC with conicals, and had a friend who had an Encore .50, who said it shot sabots well, but said he never got it to shoot conicals. What do the front stuffers here at CB say?:drinks::Fire:

My .50 cal CVA Optima Pro shoots heavy conicals well, but I use mostly saboted .429 CBs to get a little better trajectory. The CVA Accura that frontier gander mentioned is essentially an upgrade of the Optima. I just bought an Accura for my son's birthday, but it hasn't been shot yet. Nice looking rifle though and much cheaper than a T/C Encore.

arcticap
07-02-2009, 02:54 AM
If you were interested in a Markesbery, then you'd like the Kahanke even more. Consider calling Mr. Kahanke and asking him about how his rifles shoot conicals. I'd also be interested in hearing what he had to say about that. I don't believe that his guns accept the 209 primers, but I've gotten along without using them just fine.

http://www.kahnkegunworks.net/