PDA

View Full Version : Smoke...

wallenba
06-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I was at my local indoor range today. I go mostly in the mornings as it is less crowded and I have my choice of lanes. Today there was a safety class for newbies in progress. The instructor ( not an employee of the range ) took exception with my smoke, and since I was shooting my 45 Colt Vaquero, thought I was shooting black powder. I tried ( in vain ) to explain to this 'expert' that it was just my boolit lube (alox) and / or my powder (Unique). The proprietor, (knowing the facts) graciously allowed me an hour free time on my next return if I stopped.
I have not been happy myself with the smoke from alox, but I don't want to invest in a lubrisizer as I am using mostly Lee TL molds. Is there a way to tumble lube with a less smoky lube?

docone31
06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I pan lube, and use Lee Push Thru sizeing dies.
I get a little smoke, but not much.
I also have met "experts" like that one. I have a shop in the same FleaMarket as his shop.
Ain't it great to meet such icons of the firearm world?
I made friends with the BP Cartridge crowd faster than him.
They DO know most of it all,
Not him.
I like pan lubeing. It smells great, is simple, and very effective.

wallenba
06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Mebbe I'll try that. If I can get permission to use the kitchen!

runfiverun
06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
hot plates at walmart are bout 20 bux and can be used to warm your molds on too.
if yer gonna mess with lubes get your own utensils i even bought my own microwave for the garage.

d_striker
06-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Rooster jacket lube...

Slow Elk 45/70
06-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Yup, stay clear of the kitchen and the utensils/pots/pans/....if you have a wife, probably easier on the marriage.:bigsmyl2:

As for the Idiots at your range , ain't they "Special":takinWiz:

imashooter2
06-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Rooster jacket lube...

I use it on all my high volume pistol boolits. Dries hard, not tacky like LLA. Smoke is reduced, but not eliminated, compared to LLA.

Johnson's Paste Wax may be worth looking into as well. Cheap, dries hard. I'm checking it out as an alternative to RJ, but I haven't actually shot any yet.

cajun shooter
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Lar's Carnuba RED and pan lubed bullets behind Clays powder makes zero smoke. I've had shooter's ask me if I use any lube on them bullets as there is no smoke. I shoot BP but load these for a friend who shoots in cowboy class.

wallenba
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
d striker, and all thanks. I went to the Midway site to read the reviews on Rooster jacket lube. I ordered some to try. Also dug up an old hot plate, went back to Goatlips website too. Might be able to figure a way to pan lube without an oven out in the garage. Toaster oven maybe?

jonk
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Too bad you didn't have a few BP rounds to touch off to show him the difference.

I've never noticed THAT much smoke from alox that anyone could call it similar to BP. And if an INSTRUCTOR thought that well, he shouldn't be teaching a class!

wallenba
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I think the ventilation was a little poor in there yesterday, but to mistake it for BP just showed his lack of experience with it. It was smokey, but not that smokey. I did notice soot in my nostrils though, so maybe it was a little offensive.

geargnasher
06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I think the ventilation was a little poor in there yesterday, but to mistake it for BP just showed his lack of experience with it. It was smokey, but not that smokey. I did notice soot in my nostrils though, so maybe it was a little offensive.

:twisted: Maybe you should keep a few bp loads in the range bag as an educational demo for the next worldly genius expert! (Not that I advocate being a horse's a** or anything, I probably wouldn't have handled that situation as well as you did. But you have to admit it would have been cool for a moment: "Smoke? That wasn't smoke. THIS is smoke! :Fire::Fire::Fire:").

Gear

randyrat
06-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Experiment with a little less LLA or thinned with Mineral spirits. OR JPW mixed with LLA works great and if they are light loads go with just JPW. Less lube less smoke- only if it works for your gun and load.
If you use too much of the LLA on your bullets it will smoke like heck.

Jack Stanley
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
There was a guy at a compitition I was shooting in that wanted to find fault with me using a model twenty-nine Smith&Wesson to compete with . His complaint the the officials was that a .44 magnum wasn't a "duty issue" firearm to which one of the team captains said " And I suppose your model 52 is ? " .
So just to help make his day a little better I used some really loud two hundred grain hollow points for the first two stages of fire . By the time we got to the rapid fire stage he was quivering sufficiently that he did not seem to notice the mild report of the wadcutters I was sending down range .

I have tried using a very light coat ( one fourth what you might normally use ) of liquid Alox . Then using paste wax after the Alox has dried , about a tablespoon for every pound and a half of bullets . That has worked on very low velocity rifle bullets for my thirty calibers without using a gas check , perhaps it would work for your pistol as well ?

Jack

Irascible
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I've taken 2 children and 4 grand children through hunter safety courses. Only the last one could even put a sentence together, and his class was half taught by new, practicing teachers, who didn't. It's a good thing I had gone through the facts before hand. They are all volunteers, so I should not be so hard on them, but I'd rather pay for a good teacher. Lately I had to go through an NRA pistol safety course to get a carry permit for another state. This opinianated blowhard not only did not know what he was talking about, but in a demonstration, forgot to slide the range window open and shot 5 rounds through it! Not 1, but all 5 in slow fire.

Irascible
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
On the other hand, how much does Saeco green smoke? Is that the same stuff RCBS sells?

dakotashooter2
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Firsts cigarette smoke, now gun smoke, they just won't give up will they!!!!!!!!!

HiVelocity
06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Randyrat is right...................Johnson's Paste Wax!

wallenba
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Recieved some Rooster Jacket lube from Midway yesterday, tried tumble lubing with it on some 38 wc's. I let them air dry overnight. They were gummy and gobby. This afternoon I followed the instructions and used the funnel method. After only 3 hours under the fan they look pretty good. Moving air over them is key! I loaded the 38's anyway, and expect smoke will be my fault. Thanks D striker, and all, also will try the Lars, Thanks Cajun shooter.

jdgabbard
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Too bad you didn't have a few BP rounds to touch off to show him the difference.

I've never noticed THAT much smoke from alox that anyone could call it similar to BP. And if an INSTRUCTOR thought that well, he shouldn't be teaching a class!

I've had LOTS of people come ask me if I was shooting BP when I was using ALOX. Mostly during the winter months, but I have had it happen. A good puff of smoke on each shot. Although most of the time it looks kinda blue instead of kinda white. :roll:

leadman
06-26-2009, 03:47 PM
There are several lubes made for luber-sizers that can be applied by hand. SPG is one I use for my 40-65 Rolling block as I don't want to size the boolits.

Lyman Moly lube, and LBT Blue Soft are 2 more. Apply it like you are using a crayon.