PDA

View Full Version : Reloading horror

KTN
03-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Have you ever seen reloads like these?(Hey,these are not mine)Just goes to prove,that some people are better of with factory ammo.On left is factory load for comparison.

Beerd
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Darwin's theory at work.

Buckshot
03-16-2006, 02:47 AM
..................HA! I can see it now: Don't need no steenking directions, I can figure this reloading stuff out riky tik. (tougue sticking out side of mouth in intense but misdirected concentration.)

.................Buckshot

kenjuudo
03-16-2006, 08:48 AM
..................HA! I can see it now: Don't need no steenking directions, I can figure this reloading stuff out riky tik. (tougue sticking out side of mouth in intense but misdirected concentration.)

.................Buckshot

Rick, I know that guy!!! And he is always giving the young guys at work advice.

jim

KTN
03-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Buckshot,how did you know?And it goes on like "Hey boy,I´ve been reloading before you were even born,and let me tell you.You can´t hit the side of a barn with reloads.Reloads don´t fit to your guns chamber...etc...etc..."
They are just careless.This time I was giving them some advice,and made few of them believers.Round on the right is the worst,after the shoulder bulged,they just used pliers to "size" it back.I have done my share of mistakes in reloading,but never this bad.Reloading is great hobby,but it must be taken seriously.

Kaj

sundog
03-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Yea? So what's wrong with those rounds? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif [I'm not puttin' my name on this one..., no siree!]

versifier
03-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Looks like a group effort, Moe and his brother Ron. Definite case of impending Darwin.

Bullshop
03-17-2006, 03:10 AM
Oh we are so quick to judge. Perhaps they are a perfect custom fit to a home chambering job they did prier to loading for it. So you see how that would require a special skill not many of us posses.
BIC/BS

fourarmed
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Looks like they were overannealed, then sized with a Lee Collet sizer.

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 02:51 PM
fourarmed,

You may be right about they may have been annealed too much, but they weren't sized in a Lee Collet die. That die doesn't, for one thing, put grooves in the shoulder that look like lube grooves. It also does not push the neck down farther. I'm not sure that one can run a case into the collet die deep enough to even do that.

Joe

fourarmed
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
You're right about the lube dents, Joe, but not about the necks. Because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it can't. I just bought 500 new 7BR brass, and decided to run them through the Lee CSD to straighten the mouths. After ruining two of them by pushing the neck back and forming a flange at the shoulder, I got out a conventional neck die. Wasn't the first time I had it happen either, but the first time it was so noticeable. I attribute that to the softness of the new brass.

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
After I get off the pc I'm going to anneal some 06 brass to real soft and see if I can screw them up with my Lee collet dies. I'll report back, not believing it YET. Let me experiment and I'll post.

Joe

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 05:34 PM
fourarmed,

You were right. But let me tell you I really really had to work to get that shoulder to get that rim collapse on it. I had to set the die so the ram would cam over for maximum leverage. I was worried I would pop the top cap of the die out, afterall it is aluminum. You can also do that to case that is over annealed in a regular sizing die too, and alot easier.

Joe

Finn45
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I can sure You...You can't figure out those screw ups by any means; they are produced by the true relatives of Eino and Toivo with aid of yoopers back home yoo betcha...

floodgate
03-17-2006, 07:33 PM
I can sure You...You can't figure out those screw ups by any means; they are produced by the true relatives of Eino and Toivo with aid of yoopers back home yoo betcha...

Finn45:

I asked a friend about "Eino & Toivo", and he didn't know for sure - even though his name is Toivonen! But he's second-generation, and doesn't speak much Finnish. I gather E & T are like the Irish "Pat & Mike" (today being St. Paddy's Day), or our own beloved "Bubba"; correct?

Daughter in law comes from SW Finland, spoke Swedish in the city, Finnish on vacation in the country; also fluent in German, Spanish and I don't know what-all else. Has a better vocabulary and better-read in English than me, and just a delightful touch of an accent. You must have a really superb educational system! Ours is "third-world" and sinking fast.

Doug

StarMetal
03-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Doug,

Although I don't like our educational system and I worry about our youth being the next generation, don't sell our countries educational system short. We're number one kick ass country in the world and you don't get there by having a lousy educational system. I grant you it's going down hill.

GI Joe

Finn45
03-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Hello Doug, My knowledge of E&T is strictly based on writings on the net, so... Anyway, type sounds familiar and I can figure out many things... We don't have those exact characters here, so they are pretty much US related. We have some others of course, those E&T relatives maybe.

We have pretty good educational system as well I suppose. Basic languages besides Finnish are Swedish and English; I took my English seriously, but only in the middle level and I didn't continue it to high school. Rest of it comes from somewhere else, work trips and such. I didn't took Swedish seriously, so it sucks. Depending of the will, it's possible to learn many many languages in high school and rest of it depends of the ability and willingness to take things seriously and learn... Sounds like Your d-i-l did it all very well.

castalott
03-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh my....This thread reminds me of that magazine article about..."Barnabus Blastalot"....The one where he headspaced his own rifle and used a compressed caseful of "BLASTO" reloading powder......lol...funny stuff......( The rest of the article was ..'How to blow up your rifle in 10 easy steps." ???

Anyone ever read Phil Sharpes." And the angels sing for you"? More funny but very sobering stuff....