PDA

View Full Version : Need a gunsmith

Dogg
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I've been away from the forum for a while while playing with my motorcycle but now that it is to hot to mess with it I'm back to playing with my guns. I purchased one of the Lyman 462560 molds in the group buy a while back and have dicided that maybe it would work better if the Ruger No.1 was opened up from .458 win mag to Lott specs.
My problem is after contacting all the gunsmiths in this area (Shreveport, Louisiana) I can't find anyone who wants to do it.... so do any of you have suggestions on good smithies here in the deep south?
Have any of you just reamed the chamber and left the throat alone to reduce some of the free bore and if so how has it worked out, accuracy wise?
I am just getting back into the reloading and any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dogg
:???:

Cowboy5780
06-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Dogg i dont know about the Ruger #1 but ive got a custom 458 built on a mauser action thats been reamed to 458 Lott i bought it from a friend of my that was too much of a ummm well you know to shoot it i havent shot it myself but about 30 times but its a HAMMER im about 3 inches at 100 yds but i really havent worked up a load with it. Im not sure about all the throat and freebore as its just been too hot or either raining for me to really play with shooting it much. I can find out the Gunsmith here in NC that done the work if you want to talk to him but when i tried to find out about lengthening the magazine so it wasnt a singleshot he couldnt remember details about that. If i can ever get time i have to take it and let him look at it about that. I will tell you this tho theres a #$%^& of a difference in recoil between the win mag and the lott lol. (sorry about the runon sentences and bad grammer my butts dragging.

buck1
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
SSK does good work, of has for me at least. but it aint cheep...Buck