PDA

View Full Version : Bad surprise.

hiram
06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I got my WW together to melt and clean. I separated the stick ons as many people advise to. The WW were finished. I got together all the odd pieces of lead to make ingots. I filled my cast iron pot on the turkey burner with the odds and ends. Put on the cover. Let it melt. Put in the stick ons. Put on cover. Took off cover to clean the slag. Lo and behold, the stick ons did not melt. I tapped them with the ladle and there was ring. Scooped them all out-- 5-6 # and threw them in the slag bucket. These stick ons weren't close to lead.

Ole
06-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Yup.

The good news is you can set them aside and save them for cannon balls. :mrgreen:

leadman
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Nowdays a person needs to do more than seperate out the stick-on weights from the clip-ons.
Do a search on zinc and read on how to determine zinc and iron from lead weights.

briang
06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Stickons are easy to separate, especially in long strips. The lead ones will be really easy to twist and the zinc won't. The zinc will also be larger than a lead of the same weight.

jdgabbard
06-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I've run into zinc stick ons every time I get a new bucket

blackthorn
06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Stick-on's are easy to check for iron using a magnet (those dont melt either)!

fredj338
06-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I get a lot of zinc adtick ons out here in Kalif. now. THey are often thicker than the lead & will not deform when twisted, cut or pounded. Use a pair of hevy wire cutter & give them a squeeze, it they don;t cut discard, those are not lead.