PDA

View Full Version : Best variable scope for about $300?

crabo
06-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I have to keep taking my best Luepold scopes off of the guns that I want to leave them on. I want a variable power scope that is at least a 12 or 14 on the top end and will focus from short to long ranges. I want to have this scope to use for testing loads on different rifles.

I have a nice Luepold Vari-X3 3.5-10 that I put on my Marlin. I was shooting indoors and I could not get a good focus because it did not have an adjustable objective so I could not get as good of a sight picture as I wanted. When I use one with an ajustable objective, it works fine indoors at 50 yards, but I want to leave those scopes on the rifles they are on.

I would also like for the scope to be a good hunting scope as well.

Any one have any good suggestions? Anyone know of any good review sights that are not just advertisements for the scope companies?

Thanks,

rmb721
06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Look for a used Leupold 6-18x40 AO.

oldhickory
06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Burris Fullfield series. The 3x9s sell for around $200.00 and you can get a 4.5x14 for arounf $350.00. Check on Midway's site, http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?brandId=1548&pageNum=23

I have several Burris scopes and there's never been a failure, even with one I bought used, a Fullfield 3x9 some 20+ years ago. I also hear good things about Sightron scopes in that price range, but never had one so I can't personally vouch for them, but Burris has been VERY good to me...Alot better than Leuopold, and less expensive. Oh, and made in the U.S.A!

Murphy
06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I haven't any review sites for references, however I found myself in the same situation a few years back.

I settled on NIKON. So far the one (3 X9X40) I purchased has served me very well for it's intent and purpose. It is actually on the lower end of the scale for Nikons, but I'm impressed enough that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if I were looking to stay in a specific price range.

I know there are several other scope makers out there with great quality that will probably get the task done as well. But staying with quality and the scope requirements you are seeking, I would give the Nikons a long, hard look.

Thanks,

Murphy

Heavy lead
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I hate recommending scopes, as soon as you do someone will chime in and say everything is junk but Leupold. Well here is goes: Old Hickory is right, the Burris Fullfield II is a good scope, I only have used the 3x9, I've got three and they've held up well and it'll hold up on a 300 Win Mag too. In the 4.5x14 type range I have 3 Nikon Buckmasters, 2 of the newer style with the side turret focus and one older with the front objective focus. Also I have one 6x18 on a real accucate 22-250. I have never had these on any kickers, the biggest caliber I have used these on is a 6mm-06. Believe it or not my "test scope" is an older Simmons Aetec rifle scope a 3.5x10 model, I've shot this thing on everything up to a .338 Ultra Mag and even shot an elk with it on the hard kicker before a plane trip home caused a seal to leak and it fogged up, after free warranty work from Simmons a Leupold is on the rifle now and I use it as a test scope and it is accurate.
Anyway good luck. You can get the Nikon for about $300 bucks from Natchez or Midway.

Wayne Smith
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Ah, guys Crabo has a very specific need and qualifier. Focus (adjustable parallex?) from near - indoor distance - to far - hunting distances. I've never tried to use a scope in ranges measured in feet. I simply don't know what would qualify.

Hunter 24095
06-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I have a Nikon 4.5-14 Buck master on my 7 mag it's been a great scope for the price but I dont know if the parallax will work that close it says 50 yards but you wont know till you try. Nay way here is a link to the scope http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-buckmasters-buckmasters-45-14x40-sf.html

chaos
06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I use nothing but Leupolds anymore as I find them to be more clear.

For a good Cheaper Scope, the Simmons Aetec is damn hard to beat.

I have one on a 300 Win mag that is a very lightweight rifle. My pet load is a super hot one that really will wreck a man's shoulder. Most guys at the range who ask to shoot this rifle only do it once. I can stand aoubt 6 to 8 rounds through it before I call it quits anymore. Its been wearing the same Aetec for at least 14 years. I used to shoot this gun quite often, but as I get older......pain hurts more. I have never had to adjust the scope from season to hunting season either for what its worth. Its always dead nuts on.

James C. Snodgrass
06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
The Bushnell outlet isn't to far from home for me and I have found their 3200 and 4200 series to be great . I have a friend that has a new 6500 that's a dandy but out of the price range . As far as up close stuff I have a BSA that I thought would be a joke but it focus' very well at short range and hasn't broke yet on a 10/22 custom and makes for some small 50 yd groups . James

jhrosier
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I just bought my second Barska Optic 6-24x50 Varmint Mil Dot (AC10050).
I find this scope to be very good at 10x and that is where I keep it set on both rifles.
I used the first one up to 18x with good results but if find that 10x suits my needs from 25 yards to 200 yards.
There are both paralax adjustments on the objective lens and a focus adjustment on the eyepiece.
The focus adjustment works very well to fine tune the focus to suit my glasses.

I don't fool myself to thinking that this scope is as good as my Burris Signature, but for the price it suits me well.

http://www.barska.com/images/large_images/ac10050.jpg

http://www.barska.com/ac10050.html

They list for $160 but I paid $59 at Bud's Gun Shop (online).

Jack

Rocky Raab
06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I just tested a scope in a rifle review, and was quite impressed with it. It is a Millett Buck Silver model in 4-12X40mm with a side focus turret for parallax. In Matte finish, it is P/N BK61001.

I don't know the cost because it was provided with the rifle I tested, but I doubt it is very expensive. It WAS, however, quite clear, gave accurate and repeatable click corrections - and the side focus was wonderful. I thought at first that it would be a gimmick feature, but it is REALLY handy afield when shifting from close to far targets. All in all, I was impressed enough to strongly consider buying one the next time I need one.

Holy Cats! I just did a Google and those Millett scopes are only $90 - $110 at several online outlets. The one I used looked MUCH better than that price would indicate.

vernm
06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a Weaver 4-16x42 V Series that I am quite pleased with. It sounds like it might meet your needs. Has an adjustable objective from 30 feet to infinity. The fine cross hair reticle would be dandy for load testing. SWFA has them for $299.

45r
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
My nikon monarch 3x12 has very good optics and I got it for a little over 300 bucks.The only thing I don't like is the rear bell is too fat and doesn't give as much room as a leupold for the bolt.I put it on my 45-70 highwall since I only need one shot with it,but it is a little tight in the room department on that also.I've been getting bug-hole groups at 50 yards with it and everything is bright and clear.

Rockydog
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I was at the range a couple of weeks ago and a shooter had 2 rifles one with a Leupold and one with a new Vortex that he had just purchased. Several of us looked through both scopes and we all agreed that the Vortex was brighter and clearer than the Loopy. Lifetime warranty made in Madison, WI http://www.vortexoptics.com

That being said I've got 3 of the new Simmons Master Pro Hunters in various configurations. All have adjustable objectives. One of my hunting buddies has a Burris fullfield. In a side by side test on P Dogs in SD we both think my Simmons is clearer. Both the higher priced Simmons and the new Weaver scopes are built with the new "True Zero" internals with a flex tube instead of a 4 point gimbel. Less moving parts. Supposedly tough as hell. Great eye relief. I've got one on an 8mm Mauser, .270 Win, and .223 Rem. The .223 has over 1000 rounds through it. The Mauser over 200 and the 270 about 100. So far all are still very clear and hold zero absolutely. The Simmons scopes that come on package guns etc. though are pure junk. Loads of paralax, crappy eye relief etc. RD

dk17hmr
06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Mueller scopes are in that price range and are pretty darn good scope.

I have 3 or 4 of them.
I used one on my 25-06 for a few years to shoot long range....than I bought a Burris 32x

Gee_Wizz01
06-25-2009, 12:15 AM
I purchased a couple of the Simmons White Tail Classics 6.5-20X 50mm scopes from Midway and was amazed how bright and clear they are. There is some slight distortion at 20X, but it is very serviceable at 20X. I use these for my load testing and they are great. They are Heavy though! I have one on my 220 Swift and I can easily see the bullet holes on my targets at 200 meters. The best part is they are on sale for $124.99.

G

BIGGUNGOBOOM
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I have had great luck with Burris, Weaver, Simmons, Bushnell and believe it or not BSA. i have a BSA on my bench 308, running somewhat hot loads. hasnt lost zero and I am now approaching 800 rounds. Honestly I think it is all in the way you mount em. I had a simmons Pistol scope on my 500 S&W and it made it to 900 rounds before she finally died. Not to bad for slamming loads

shotman
06-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I just got 2 scopes off feebay they dont have a name but I will put them against any make . .Dont mess with simmons if you have a problem they will give you a hassle. I sent one back and they sent a different one as replacement and then told me I had to PROVE I had had the scope in the first place. Took 6 weeks to get it replaced.

cajun shooter
06-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't have one yet, but Mueller scopes have been getting some feedback on some other forums. They say and this is not from paid gun writers who are worst than used car salesmen, that the scopes do very well in the field and bench.

pdawg_shooter
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I have had great luck with Burris, Weaver, Simmons, Bushnell and believe it or not BSA. i have a BSA on my bench 308, running somewhat hot loads. hasnt lost zero and I am now approaching 800 rounds. Honestly I think it is all in the way you mount em. I had a simmons Pistol scope on my 500 S&W and it made it to 900 rounds before she finally died. Not to bad for slamming loads

I have had a BSA on a lightweight 30-06 for over 2000 rounds now. 180gr over 57gr AA4350. Still works fine!