PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a receipe for snapping turtle?

Bigscot
06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Shot one today and was able to retrieve it. The was the first I ever cleaned and it took my son and I longer than it take us to reduce a deer to family sized portions. Had research it on the web.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has a good receipe. Junior maybe?

Bigscot

chiefchigger
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
We eat turtles all the time. Usually I use it in my "Wild Game Brunswick Stew". As I accumulate squirrels, rabbits, turtles, etc. I simmer the meat in water to cover, then when it is tender pick the meat off the bones, pack it in quart freezer containers & cover with the broth it was cooked in & freeze it.

When I get ready to make the stew I take the meat & broth out of the freezer a couple of days ahead & put in the fridge to thaw.

The stew is simply the meat & broth with chopped onion, diced potatoes ( I use frozen hash browns ), Lima beans, whole kernel corn, & canned diced tomatoes simmered until all the veggies are tender and well seasoned with salt & pepper.

The last one I made had 10 kinds of game. I make about 4 gallons & my wife cans it in pints. A pint of stew & a handful of crackers makes a quick lunch.

Blizzard of '93
08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
snappers are good eating but the big ones are best if caught and put into a drum with a little water and left in the shade a few days so they will 'clean out' some.
myself I always parboil a short while, just 5-10 minutes and dump the liquid then parboil about 40 minutes or until tender and pull the meat off.
I've always breaded and fried (it's the fastest and best tasting way to cook IMO) but I know there's other uses for the meat as in stews and soups.

wilddog45
10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I take the legs ,cut thin,and soak it in saltwater with ice in it for a while in the fridge ,not on the counter as turtle meat spoils rapidly,then deep fry in seasoned Louisiana fish fry.

carpetman
10-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Soak the leg skin in a mixture of cup to cup and half 20 Mule Team Borax to a gallon of water--soak 3 days and dry and it is some of the toughest rawhide you'll find. Made a belt buckle out of some and nobody could guess the source.

jh45gun
10-09-2009, 02:50 AM
For future reference after you cut the meat into serving size pieces then dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a skillet with enough oil or french fry to brown. Then put in a roaster and add onions and a bit of water for some steam and roast for several hours until tender just like you would fry chicken then finish in the oven. This is the best way to cook snapper we cooked them for years this way when I was growing up and a several local bars used to have "Turtle Feeds" and this is how they cooked it. Turtle cooked this way is some of the best eating there is!

Junior1942
10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Anyway, was wondering if anyone has a good receipe. Junior maybe?

BigscotNope, I've never tasted turtle. If I have doubts about how to cook something, I either barbeque it or batter it and deep fry it.

dragonrider
10-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I have et a lot of turtle stew but have made it myself so no reciepes but everything above sounds great.