PDA

View Full Version : Learned something new.

docone31
06-20-2009, 11:10 PM
While we were a settling down for the night, and the wife was in the other room, I just had to handle my Hawken Wannabe.
I had had some need to strike twice shots lately.
I picked up the Hawken Wannabe, pulled back the hammer, and ran my fingernail on the lip of the nipple.
It is beginning to be flowered! Just a little, all around the strike area of the cap.
Hah! That just might explain the need to strike twice for one shot! The first strike, the cap would go lower on the nipple, the second would ignite the charge. The cap had a visible bulge!
Probably, tomorrow, I will chuck the nipple threads in my Foredom Handpiece and spin the lip down a little.
That sure did not take long! Maybe 50 shots. I was firing CCI Magnum caps, and Remington #11 caps.
I got nipple flare!!!

Digital Dan
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I got nipple flare!!!

Wouldn't be braggin' about that too much Pilgrim, California ain't that far away.

mooman76
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Sounds like a cheap nipple. Too soft, at least for this application. You could take a file and take the edge off but I'd still get a better one.

JIMinPHX
06-21-2009, 02:55 AM
On my C&B revolvers, the nipples sit just below flush of where the hammer hits. There is maybe .010-.020" of clearance between them when the hammer falls with no cap present. Since the cap is more than .020" thick, the hammer still sets it off every time. I think that the slight clearance space between my hammer & nipples is why my nipples don't flower. I don't know if that is a reasonable solution for your gun or not.

pietro
06-21-2009, 09:45 AM
That's why it's more than a good idea, to cut out a 1"x1 1/2" rectangle from the heaviest leather you can find, punch a small hole in one corner for a 3" rawhide loop - and hang that puppy from the hammer, with the leather over the nipple, for practicing trigger-snapping.

The nipple'll eventually cut through the leather after awhile, but it's a lot more easily-replacable than the nipple.