PDA

View Full Version : Saeco push though sizer ?

The Nyack Kid
03-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I had a brilliant idea ,while i was lubing/sizing a batch of lyman 358665s ,and all the time wishing i had a star to speed things up( my timing got off and i ran a finger into the works)
I could make my saeco into a push-through sizer by simple removing the die's push rod and the return rod . i could place a small piece of sheet metal ,in at an angle, to deflect the boolits into a waiting tub .
I wouldn't be able to lube to boolits but it would speed things up ,when i had to size then oven-heat treat ,WWs . also it would work for the long skinny boolits that i dont have the proper nose-punch for and im alway deforming or sizing off side.
anyone else do this ? im not a bright guy ,surely someone else has gotten to of thought of this before me?

David R
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
the lube pressure...........

David

The Nyack Kid
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
the lube pressure...........

David
back the lube handle off all of the way ,that way there is no pressure . if the lube is not soft it wont flow out of the die .

versifier
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Regular push-throughs are inexpensive and easy to use. Why not just get a couple for the boolits that give you grief in your Saeco? I know that much satisfaction can be had by figuring out how to do something with the tools at hand, but the push-throughs only cost a couple of bucks more than a top punch alone for your machine, and they are a lot faster to set up.

Bman
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I've thought about this briefly with my Lyman 4500. It would seem that if you backed off the lube and left a boolit in the die.....

pearson1662
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Regular push-throughs are inexpensive and easy to use. Why not just get a couple for the boolits that give you grief in your Saeco? I know that much satisfaction can be had by figuring out how to do something with the tools at hand, but the push-throughs only cost a couple of bucks more than a top punch alone for your machine, and they are a lot faster to set up.

Who makes a push through for a 41 cal and a 6.5mm?

Wayne Smith
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Who makes a push through for a 41 cal and a 6.5mm?

Buckshot!

ktw
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I have done this with a Lyman 450 in the situation where I had a lyman/RCBS die of the proper size but no lee push through. The Lee push through is easier if you have one, and cheap.

Lee will make you a push through to any size you request. Buckshot will, also. I have custom size push through dies from both sources. They are both good products. I do not recall which was cheaper but I don't recall the difference being significant. In my experience, of-the-shelf Lee's can run smaller than nominal diameter and need some honing to get to desired diameter. Buckshot's dies are always good to go as delivered.

-ktw