PDA

View Full Version : Lee closeout are these ranch dog molds????????

haff202
06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
GO to LEE"S web sight. In the close out section, are these TLC ranch dog molds????

Leftoverdj
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Lee has a nasty habit of selling custom order rejects in the closeout section. At least twice, they have sold undersized moulds as closeouts. I know nothing of this batch, but caution is advised.

jimkim
06-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I asked Michael the same thing. He advised they are undersized. The TLC 460-350-RF were cut .458" instead of .461". The 44 caliber mould was .427".

runfiverun
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
why would they foist off bad merchandise like that?
they know they are gonna come back.

crabo
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
why would they foist off bad merchandise like that?
they know they are gonna come back.

They might not come back. They may just lose some customers because of bad product.

DLCTEX
06-20-2009, 06:53 PM
If you cast with it, it becomes used and can only be returned within 30 days for credit on merchandise.
I'm giving thought to buying one and lapping it by embedding grit on the bads only since Michael no longer has them. It shouldn't be too hard to lap a couple thou as it's aluminum. What do you think?

Ben
06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Dale :

Your idea of lapping will work.....keep the rpm's low and go slow....cleaning and casting at intervals to keep a check on the " as cast " dia. of your bullets.

Like my barber says....It is a lot easier to take it off than it is to put it back on.

Ben

BTW..........I'm glad that parachute companies don't sell 2nd's the way Lee does !

Leftoverdj
06-20-2009, 08:26 PM
If you cast with it, it becomes used and can only be returned within 30 days for credit on merchandise.
I'm giving thought to buying one and lapping it by embedding grit on the bads only since Michael no longer has them. It shouldn't be too hard to lap a couple thou as it's aluminum. What do you think?

I've done it. Do not use power. Even by hand it only takes a minute or so a cavity. It'll cost you some on the lube grooves and it wipes out any sharp corners, but you can get a usable mould.

Hard part is getting a shank perfectly centered in your lap.

Nora
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
BTW..........I'm glad that parachute companies don't sell 2nd's the way Lee does !

I couldn't agree more. :drinks: No seconds on silk (nylon) thank you.

looseprojectile
06-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I use my RCBS bullet puller collets to hold the boolit in the lathe three jaw chuck.
Centers it well. Then just glue [5min. epoxy] a piece of straight wire in the hole. [one that fits].
Be gentle when you tighten the chuck.

Life is good

haff202
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I all ready ordered my TLC 460-350 rf before I posted this. Quanty was 52 when I ordered. I just assumed these molds are Ranch Dog Molds and he closed up shop before his order was finished or shipped. This economy is strapping alot of people for cash and all reloading companys are and have been very busy. I am just to late to buy from RD. Let's hope for the best and hope these molds are just overstock.