PDA

View Full Version : If ammo and primers dried up completely

delmar
06-20-2009, 06:48 AM
If the supply of ammo and primers dried up completely would you

Stop shooting

Try making your own primers
Here is a thread about reloading primers for those of you that missed it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50383

or buy a muzzleloader?

Jim
06-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Gentlemen,
Believe what you want, the NSA can and DOES scan for key words. When their search engine "pings", they check into what pinged and where it came from. You can call me unrealistically paranoid if you want. I call it being cautious.

delmar
06-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Gentlemen,
Believe what you want, the NSA can and DOES scan for key words. When their search engine "pings", they check into what pinged and where it came from. You can call me unrealistically paranoid if you want. I call it being cautious.

OK
Is it your opinion that I am encouraging something illegal?

Bret4207
06-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Already have MLer's, info on how to make BP and I can fashion flint locks given time. I also have info on priming compounds and lots of other neat stuff that's far more trouble than I really want.

Let the FBI watch me. As I've said before, they can get bored watching me as well as anyone else. Nothing illegal here at all.

delmar
06-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Already have MLer's, info on how to make BP and I can fashion flint locks given time. I also have info on priming compounds and lots of other neat stuff that's far more trouble than I really want.

Let the FBI watch me. As I've said before, they can get bored watching me as well as anyone else. Nothing illegal here at all.

Exactly, I share what I am doing openly, because I have no plans of doing anything criminal.

Oh by the way, if tracking the people who watch my youtube videos leads the feds to people who are using what I teach them for evil, GOOD!

ronterry
06-20-2009, 01:07 PM
There's no trying about it! I would make my own primers...

Oh- bomb bomb bomb baba bomb!!! :mrgreen:

delmar
06-20-2009, 01:46 PM
There's no trying about it! I would make my own primers...

Oh- bomb bomb bomb baba bomb!!! :mrgreen:
Me too!

delmar
06-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm sort of surprised that we have gotten 6 votes for "stop shooting"! I'm not calling you guys sissies or anything, but dang!

rhead
06-20-2009, 02:02 PM
No point in wasting a degree in chemistry.

Jon K
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Making or rebuilding primers...........gotta do, what you gotta do.

I've been looking at a Percussion rifle, and that too would be a case for rebuilding percussion caps if need be.

swheeler
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
What a great country we have become, guilty until proven innocent.

ronterry
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
No point in wasting a degree in chemistry.

Way ahead of you! I just finished printing my out in Microsoft Publisher.

Sorry- you walked right into that one :)

dromia
06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Whats B & C?

Trey45
06-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree, what's B & C?

JW6108
06-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm sort of surprised that we have gotten 6 votes for "stop shooting"! I'm not calling you guys sissies or anything, but dang!

Make it 7.

"Stop shooting" doesn't exactly describe my approach; more like "severely curtail" anything done with ammunition and maintain skills with air-powered guns.

I picked up a .177 single shot pistol a while back and set up a little target trap in my carport. Keeping tuned up with it (all one-handed) I have maintained, and even enhanced, trigger pull/sight alignment skills beyond what would have been convenient with even a .22. I've checked this to my satisfaction with a few of my centerfires and for me, it works.

Also, again speaking from my own experience, careful one-handed shooting skills carry over extremely well to rifle shooting. (In the same way that weak hand shooting improves the strong hand; there may be a name for this but I don't know what it is.)

BarryinIN
06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Whats B & C?

Both Choice B and Choice C.
Took a minute to get that one myself.

big dale
06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I have shot flintlocks before and I only missed a few more doves than I do anyway.

Big Dale

delmar
06-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Both Choice B and Choice C.
Took a minute to get that one myself.

Didn't you guys ever have a multiple choice quiz in school? It really didn't dawn on me that I would need to label the second choice B and the third choice C to get the point across :D

madcaster
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
B&C,but I already have several muzzleloaders!

delmar
06-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Make it 7.

"Stop shooting" doesn't exactly describe my approach; more like "severely curtail" anything done with ammunition and maintain skills with air-powered guns.

I picked up a .177 single shot pistol a while back and set up a little target trap in my carport. Keeping tuned up with it (all one-handed) I have maintained, and even enhanced, trigger pull/sight alignment skills beyond what would have been convenient with even a .22. I've checked this to my satisfaction with a few of my centerfires and for me, it works.

Also, again speaking from my own experience, careful one-handed shooting skills carry over extremely well to rifle shooting. (In the same way that weak hand shooting improves the strong hand; there may be a name for this but I don't know what it is.)

Very good points! I have been shooting far more with my airsoft gun than with my .45 not only because it is all but free, but because I can do it right there at home, without even going outside. I have a room that is 40' long so it makes a pretty good pistol range.

SciFiJim
06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
stop shooting to save what you have
try making primers
buy a muzzleloader

How about A, B, & C? Conserve what I have, try to make more, and get a muzzleloader if B fails.

rhead
06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Way ahead of you! I just finished printing my out in Microsoft Publisher.

Sorry- you walked right into that one :)

Your diploma may be prettier, I don't even know where mine is. But my primers and powder will work and I can do it without losing my eyes or fingers. It isn't having a diploma that makes the difference, It is what you learn getting it and the experience you get after you get it.

ronterry
06-20-2009, 09:31 PM
You forgot that some of the greatest minds this planet has ever seen are autodidact. I can read also btw, I just don't need a teacher to tell me what & when to read.

Don't worry rhead, your diploma is intact. I was just razzing you, and sometimes my form of humor is truly alien...Heck that goes for my English skills as well sometimes :)

Catshooter
06-20-2009, 09:36 PM
How 'bout "E", None of the above, just keep shooting like I am now?

Cat

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I have enough to last me and my son till they go bad

mike in co
06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
how about judicious use of your existing primers to resolve the lack of primers.........

is the letter k or what

phil218b
06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Didn't David Kill Goliath with a sling and a stone?

SciFiJim
06-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Phil, maybe so, but the smart bet was on the guy with the sword.

Firebird
06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Who says a flint-lock HAS to be a muzzle loader? Breech loading designs started appearing before percussion caps, it's just that none ever found wide-spread acceptance until after the percussion cap had also been accepted.

delmar
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Who says a flint-lock HAS to be a muzzle loader? Breech loading designs started appearing before percussion caps, it's just that none ever found wide-spread acceptance until after the percussion cap had also been accepted.

I did not know that. How readily available is such a weapon?

SciFiJim
06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I did not know that. How readily available is such a weapon?

Or how could a modern weapon be adapted to something like that?

ronterry
06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I hope your thinking what I'm thinking? 10 megajoule phase pistol!!! Of course we need to be able to change the frequency and modulation after every shot! Never know when a Borg might show up!:Fire:

or

M41A Pulse Rifle firing 10mm caseless APS rounds with an underslung 30mm pump-action grenade launcher.
M56A2 Smart Gun firing the 10mm caseless selectable fuse ammo (APS/SAPHE). 310 round ammo drum. 1200rpm. Mounted on an articulated operator's harness, slaved to an infrared tracking system.
Then we can follow that up with the M240A1 Incinerator Unit / ala Flame Thrower!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Johnch
06-21-2009, 01:21 AM
I would just have to finish my rail gun

And start latheing off steel "slugs" for it

If my math is right
My 5000 watt generator should provide all the power I need

The guys at the range would sure look hard at it LOL

John

dromia
06-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Didn't you guys ever have a multiple choice quiz in school? It really didn't dawn on me that I would need to label the second choice B and the third choice C to get the point across :D

Thank you for now making you poll clearer.

In my day in school there was no multiple choice, everything had to writen, legibly and spelt correctly. The answer had to be well argued and reasoned. If not you got the tawse, a two or three fingered leather strap about two feet long and three inches wide. Usually administered to your hand which you held in front of you.

Assumption is one of the great weakness of boards like these, assuming that someone knows what you do in the same way as you do leads to confusion. I could have assumed that poll choices two and three was what you were trying to say in choice four, but from your poll I would not have known that with any certainty.

We are all ignorant just about different things.

Jim
06-21-2009, 04:04 AM
There's a grove of hickory behind the house and I think I got an old glove and a useless bicycle tube somewhere around here.

dromia
06-21-2009, 04:08 AM
There's a grove of hickory behind the house and I think I got an old glove and a useless bicycle tube somewhere around here.

Good thought there Jim, and you could still cast up lead ball for the "catty"

TAWILDCATT
06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I dont care what you do but making compound for primers could get you in heap of dodo.ie making explosives.but if you make percusion caps and load with 2 capgun caps thats legal.
even in factories primers blow and people get hurt and killed.
I would drop the subject.if your going to do it just do it and dont publish the fact.
I have always told youth if there are three people doing drugs one is a narc.
you dont have to be paranoid if its true.:coffee:[smilie=1:

delmar
06-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I dont care what you do but making compound for primers could get you in heap of dodo.ie making explosives.but if you make percusion caps and load with 2 capgun caps thats legal.
even in factories primers blow and people get hurt and killed.
I would drop the subject.if your going to do it just do it and dont publish the fact.
I have always told youth if there are three people doing drugs one is a narc.
you dont have to be paranoid if its true.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Not "making explosives" Just reloading primer cups with the tips of strike anywhere matches. There is a whole thread about it that has been up and running for a couple of months. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=567081&postcount=95

wallenba
06-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Oh great, now there will be a run on strike anywhere matches.

Jon
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd probably shoot a whole lot less, but there are ways of rebuilding primers. I'm keeping my old ones just in case I ever need them. They don't take up much space, and could be invaluable later on.

jlchucker
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Didn't David Kill Goliath with a sling and a stone?

Yeah, and as ScifiJim said, the smart money was on the guy with the sword. In that particular fight, though, the smart money people didn't take into account that David's backup wouldn't even have been phased by the most powerful nuke the human race could ever build. The deck was really stacked in David's behalf.

delmar
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
A freind of mine from another forum just offered to send me a .50 CVA muzzleloader for the cost of shipping. I can't quit smiling!:mrgreen:

missionary5155
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I have already "played"at primer substitutes in Peru and own a goodly selection of flintlocks.

zxcvbob
06-23-2009, 01:01 AM
My current supply of ammo, primers, and powder will last me a long time, but I would probably cut back a little to conserve. I can wait out a lengthy dry spell with little impact to my shooting habits.

I would rather not try making my own priming compounds because of the safety aspects of it, but I'm pretty sure I could do it if I had to.

(Have you tried buying strike-anywhere matches lately?)

armyrat1970
06-23-2009, 06:23 AM
A freind of mine from another forum just offered to send me a .50 CVA muzzleloader for the cost of shipping. I can't quit smiling!:mrgreen:

Lucky dog. I have been thinking about getting one of those.

BOOM BOOM
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
HI,
About 5 yrs. ago I felt this would happen (inspiration or paranoid) . So began buying powder & primers W/ goal of having 20 yrs. +/- . I knew I would shoot it all up anyway, and at 60 I don't recall prices ever going down ,only up.
I already deer hunt W/ black powder. So I am 1. not hording,2. am prepared.

delmar
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
HI,
About 5 yrs. ago I felt this would happen (inspiration or paranoid) . So began buying powder & primers W/ goal of having 20 yrs. +/- . I knew I would shoot it all up anyway, and at 60 I don't recall prices ever going down ,only up.
I already deer hunt W/ black powder. So I am 1. not hording,2. am prepared.

primers were 2 1/2 cents when I started buying them a few months ago. Do you mean to tell me they never got above that in the previous ammo shortage situations?

delmar
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
My current supply of ammo, primers, and powder will last me a long time, but I would probably cut back a little to conserve. I can wait out a lengthy dry spell with little impact to my shooting habits.

I would rather not try making my own priming compounds because of the safety aspects of it, but I'm pretty sure I could do it if I had to.

(Have you tried buying strike-anywhere matches lately?)

Yup. Every ace hardware I have been to carries them.

357maximum
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Want a bigger smile? That looks to be a blazer..if it is cva will send you one of their bic disposable plastic 50 inlines if you send the blazer to them. I chose not to do that with the one I have, and elected to put a new barrel on it at some point...but it is another thought for you. I decided I did not want no plastic inline and the rifle has some 'family significance" so it awaits a replacement for it's neglected bore...someday.

klcarroll
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
You know, .......I am amazed that a thread like this can extend for three pages, without anyone seriously addressing the potentials of large bore air guns!

Big bore air guns were a viable (although special purpose) military option 200 years ago, ....and modern materials have improved the "possibilities" considerably!

During my career in Design Engineering, I amassed considerable experience with big bore air guns and “portable” High Pressure Air power sources: ……And I am here to tell you that 600 to 800 fps performance in a 68 caliber bore is attainable without resorting to Black Magic!!! Do you think that a one ounce ball traveling at 700 fps would be “good enough” for your demands???

….And air guns offer some SERIOUS tactical advantages!! ………..No muzzle flash, no smoke, no “thermal signature”, and no bore fouling!!!

I offer the following link simply as one example of what is currently be accomplished!

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html

….And the good news is that you can still cast boolits to fit these guys!!!!

Kent

delmar
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Want a bigger smile? That looks to be a blazer..if it is cva will send you one of their bic disposable plastic 50 inlines if you send the blazer to them. I chose not to do that with the one I have, and elected to put a new barrel on it at some point...but it is another thought for you. I decided I did not want no plastic inline and the rifle has some 'family significance" so it awaits a replacement for it's neglected bore...someday.

Plastic 50 inline?

357maximum
06-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Plastic 50 inline?

The stock is made of hollow plastic, I am pretty sure the barrel is still made of steel [smilie=1:

armyrat1970
06-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Air guns. Yeah. Love them. Have a very old Ben pump that I need to have fixed. .22 caliber. Had an old Crossman .177 as a kid and loved it. Air guns are a great survival weapon.

delmar
06-24-2009, 09:38 PM
The stock is made of hollow plastic, I am pretty sure the barrel is still made of steel [smilie=1:

Oh, why would I want to trade for a gun that anyone would refer to as disposable?

whisler
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
My flintlocks already work great and I could probably make primers if need be since I arr a chemist

delmar
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
My flintlocks already work great and I could probably make primers if need be since I arr a chemist

A chemist is really just a guy who can do a little math and follow a recipe, right?

rhead
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
A chemist is really just a guy who can do a little math and follow a recipe, right?

So very wrong it is just plain scary. A chemist is the guy who made the recipe. Scavenging match heads is a bit short of chemistry.
If a little math is differential equations then a chemist can do a little math.

delmar
06-25-2009, 09:37 PM
So very wrong it is just plain scary. A chemist is the guy who made the recipe. Scavenging match heads is a bit short of chemistry.
If a little math is differential equations then a chemist can do a little math.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling myself a Chemist, and your right they have to do a little bit of advanced math.

whisler
06-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Delmar: Rhead is correct. A cook or a factory hand is the one who can follow a recipe (most of the time). A chemist is the guy who understands the raw materials, what they can do and how to put them together to make them do what he wants them to do. How to put them together becomes the recipe. " A little bit of advanced math" is a very relative statement. I didn't claim to be a brilliant chemist but it made a pretty good living for me.

stubshaft
06-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Went to the range yesterday and reacquainted myself with one of my flinchlocks. Have 10lbs. of 3f stashed away. If I shoot my .32 it should last me a lifetime!

Baryngyl
06-26-2009, 04:59 AM
I'd probably shoot a whole lot less, but there are ways of rebuilding primers. I'm keeping my old ones just in case I ever need them. They don't take up much space, and could be invaluable later on.
Next thing we will be seeing is Ebay ads "Once Fired Primers". :roll:

Michael Grace

klcarroll
06-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Nope! .........Won't happen!

Ebay will consider them to be "Ammunition Components" and refuse to allow them to be listed![smilie=1:

Kent

rhead
06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling myself a Chemist, and your right they have to do a little bit of advanced math.

Define (a little bit) and just exactly where does math become advanced. If you think it is that simple try it.
Update your will first, (the life insurance carrier may yell suicide). Do it on your own, after all you probably think a lawyer is just someone who knows where to get his shoes shined and can fill in the blanks on a sheet of paper.

Working with explosives is a whole lot beyond making it go bang. It works a lot better if the bang has the same force every time. A few mili seconds of hangfire can alter the results but the bang is still there.
Not going bang until you want it to is also important. I know you can say "so far so good" but your replies to some of the advice that you have been given convince me that I am glad you don't live down the block from me. It would be too dangerous.
Try sitting down and counting up the things you would not have without chemistry. Figure out how you would replace them starting from scratch. (Hint, the match, lighter, burning glass, and little sparker block all are products of chemistry.)
Can you make any of them starting from scratch?

klcarroll
06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I have made somewhat critical comments about "home-brewed" primers and powder in other threads that have touched on the subject: ......And I will bore some of you again by re-stating my opinion.

If you apply the planning, effort, and expense it would take to have the basic raw materials and equipment required to successfully produce "ersatz" powder and primers to simply acquiring and stocking the real McCoy, you will probably be set for your lifetime.

Sorry about my lack of enthusiasm, .....But I spent my pre-teen and early teen years fascinated with "basement chemistry" and amateur fireworks. I managed to survive those years with both eyes and all my fingers: ......Several of my cohorts did not.

Kent

Freightman
06-26-2009, 01:25 PM
If we all stick together we do not have to do any of these things, but if we start in-fighting we have already lost. It takes chemist, freight handlers truck drivers labors, bakers, butchers ect to make this thing work aint no one more important than the other, if one is down and out then something will not get done.

delmar
06-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I meant no disrespect to Chemists. Or to in any way imply that what they do is not important.

rhead
06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
If we all stick together we do not have to do any of these things, but if we start in-fighting we have already lost. It takes chemist, freight handlers truck drivers labors, bakers, butchers ect to make this thing work aint no one more important than the other, if one is down and out then something will not get done.

RIGHT!!!! There is no way anyone can maintain any kind of desireable standard of living without the infrastructure backing him up. A few could survive but they would not be happy.

BOOM BOOM
06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
hi,
Just got to read this again.
I guess I forgot the last primer primer panic as it did not really affect me much, because I had 5-10,000 of each lpp,spp, & lrp on hand when it happened. Sorry about that.
Gas prices have also risen & fallen ,but the trend is still upwards in price.
I think I have more than doubled my money by investing in things I will need in the future & storing them till needed. Like food, & other necessities. Just a different kind of savings account.

IHMSA
06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Gas prices have also risen & fallen ,but the trend is still upwards in price.
I think I have more than doubled my money by investing in things I will need in the future & storing them till needed. Like food, & other necessities. Just a different kind of savings account.

Boom Boom,

After my own heart.
No way I'll ever need more than 50k rounds for personal use in critical scenarios.
Food, water, shelter, first aid, meds, booze, seeds, energy, Au & Ag are also great to hoard

klcarroll
06-27-2009, 01:49 PM
No way I'll ever need more than 50k rounds for personal use in critical scenarios. Food, water, shelter, first aid, meds, booze, seeds, energy, Au & Ag are also great to hoard

I couldn't possibly agree more!!!

Kent

IHMSA
06-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh, I left out the Potassium Iodine tabs and the ceramic plates. :mrgreen:

Lead Fred
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
On this subject I have two things to say:

I built a flintlock so I can make everything it fires.

Now I must quote one of my favorite songs"

"One day this feller from Washington come by
And he spied us and he turned white as a sheet
And he dug and he burned
And he burned and he dug
And he killed all our cute little weeds
Then he drove away
We just smiled and waved
Sittin' there on that sack of seeds"

IHMSA
06-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I remember Jim! :bigsmyl2:

wildwilly
06-28-2009, 09:42 AM
I've already transitioned......hunting/shooting more with my longbows and air rifles.

Brick85
07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I've thought about getting a flintlock, so that I could make everything it needs to fire, but never seriously thought about the big-bore airgun. They do have some serious advantages. All in all, I'd probably take a breech-loading flintlock over a big-bore airgun, but I think the airgun beats out an ordinary flintlock.

I'd be very interested in making a breech-loading flintlock. I've wondered if it's possible to alter a shotgun (probably a break-action) to fire modified cartridges with either an electrically-ignited "primer" (like maybe even steel wool) or somehow include an internal flint/striker (can't remember what the other part is called, a frizzen?) and cover your "pan" powder in the (possibly enlarged) primer pocket of the cartridge with tape that gets pierced when the cartridge is loaded. The main problem with a flintlock is that it takes a good minute to load, which is the problem with all frontstuffers, which is why cartridge guns became popular in the first place.

On another note, you can buy a fairly inexpensive little gadget to make the cup of a percussion cap out of soda cans. It's called the Forster Tap-O-Cap. Midsouth has them. You use those paper toy gun caps, two or three, as the priming compound. Even comes with a little paper punch for 'em.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00070TC1000

jcwit
12-18-2009, 05:29 AM
If the primer and powder shortage became a nonexistent fact of life I would imagine the feds would already have implemented laws baning the firing of firearms so the argument is mote. Of course there are those that claim they'll fight, like thats going to work. Right or wrong David Koresh in Waco never stood a chance, neither would we.

Our only hope is to keep banging away during the elections. Glad I'm not a youngster whos going to have to go thru all this.

Always remember the guys that have the BIG guns win.

lead Foot
12-18-2009, 05:56 AM
You can immigrate To Australia [smilie=2::grin: They have banned hand guns in England and lot of guys go to france to shoot. My 2 cents worth.:coffeecom
Lead foot;

Sprue
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Gentlemen,

Also heard they monitor the sales of tin foil.

AZ-Stew
12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Sprue,

Is that a BLACK helecopter in your avatar???

Regards,

Stew

Tom308
12-18-2009, 02:02 PM
There will always be a way. One thing I would be sure to do is keep prayed up.

Sprue
12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Sprue,

Is that a BLACK helecopter in your avatar???

Regards,

Stew

With all the itching and burning it sure fells like a black helo. 8-)

delmar
12-20-2009, 04:53 PM
There will always be a way. One thing I would be sure to do is keep prayed up.

Amen!

delmar
12-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Michael Grace
That would be funny!

shdwlkr
12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Well I have read all through this thread and must say that my choice is not listed. I would go back to a cross bow and long bow. I don't think many would want to get hit with a 1 pound bolt out of a 450 pound pull cross bow. No you don't pull that back with your arm, unless you are a really strong person.
I have been playing with muzzle loaders for around 45 years now so I have learned a very few things. May go into flintlocks but the delay in ignition, and double smoke clouds is a dead give away if you are fighting for life and home.
I have slowed down my shooting of late and calibers, switched to lead bullets instead of copper ones and work more at making each shot count.
I don't see me being a Rambo type as I have done my time in the military and only see me as defending my own anymore and that shouldn't be to hard.
As to making your own primers, not me because of the risks and chemicals needed, same goes for making my own powders I have read a lot about the issues that the commercial makers of powders both black and smokeless and yes I did ask really deep questions with out getting into the mixture used as I really don't care how much of what goes into what. More interested in the chemical make up of each chemical and its bad side.
I know many have made their own black powder and had no bad accidents yet. If you think it won't happen to you go read what happened in Mossic Pa where they made black powder when things went wrong a few years ago.
Most of all I don't see it being an issue in my life time. I think we will loose possession of our firearms before we loose components. If the country is still in tack at the end of the rain of the current Puppet want a be Dictator and can get someone who really does love America and stands up to the bleeding hearts who don't know **** we just might be still Free.
If not then the Blue Helmets will be on American soil and we will see if we are still Minutemen or Minutemice.
I really hope it only goes to the power of the vote but these days anything is possible to happen and things can go in any direction.

Brick85
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
If blue helmets ever show up around here, they'll quickly become collector's items. The ones without extra holes will sell for more.

I think there are too many unregistered guns that no one knows about for the government to take them all away. Most guns, maybe, but there will be plenty of newly illegal ones to keep the politicians and blue helmets in fear.

shdwlkr
12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
brick 85
I really don't think much will get past them if they come for our firearms. I really think that if you don't give them up you will be shot right there and then they we tear your house and everything apart for that matter to get them. This will not be a kinder gentler kind of action. It will be a dictator showing who is boss and he has all the new toys and tools to do it.
Firearm owners will be turned in just like the Jews were turned in to the Nazi's, don't you ever think this will be a choice of you putting holes in blue helmets or giving up your firearms, if you have something they want or think you do torture will be used to get the answers they want and then they will leave you to die or just plain shoot you with one of your own firearms. We have a Socialist and Marxist as Pres, he hates America and so do his dogs in Congress and all of his cabinet, they want to see an end to America. It would not surprise me to find out he gets his marching orders from Osama bin Laden himself.

Brick85
12-26-2009, 07:07 PM
If those who have registered guns turn in those registered guns, there will still be plenty of unregistered guns that no one knows about. And unless they intend to torture every person and rip apart every house, they won't get them all.

Of course, they might very well torture every person and rip apart every house.

part_timer
12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=shdwlkr;755743We have a Socialist and Marxist as Pres, he hates America and so do his dogs in Congress and all of his cabinet, they want to see an end to America. It would not surprise me to find out he gets his marching orders from Osama bin Laden himself.[/QUOTE]

What I can't figure out is why so many people are blind to it or just plain don't give 2 hoots and a hollar about loosing our freedoms. Perhaps it is because they don't understand what true freedom is about. All they know is the government entitlement program version of freedom.

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi,
got into muzzle loaders long ago.

Tazman1602
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Two words: "Foxfire books"

............and the Mujahadin kept the Soviet army at large for over ten years with 100 year old rifles. Not to say Osama binladin and his ragheads are honorable at all because they're NOT, but I have to admire a bunch of ragheads that would defend AND NOT CREATE TERRORISM FOR OTHER COUNTRIES BUT DEFEND THEIR OWN LAND from the best armed Nation around for ten years on Camels with old rifles.

...........Long live the 30-30..................................an AMERICAN dream......................

"one man fighting for his home is worth ten paid mercenaries..........."

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Soooo, worst case scenario, the supply of components is somehow "dried up" permanently. You all do realize there is a nice supply of firearms and ammunition in every patrol car in the country?

Less severe scenario; I have flintlocks and about 2000 pounds of lead and lead alloy. I have made black powder a couple times before. I also own a compound bow that will shoot 400gr hunting weight arrows over 340fps. Five of them in a 3" group at 60 yards and absolutely noiseless.

Just buy a couple handguns and a rifle and shotgun at the next gunshow.

Rich

Tazman1602
12-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Just buy a couple handguns and a rifle and shotgun at the next gunshow.

Rich

That should be a country song, kinda sounds like one now: "I got a shotgun a rifle and two handguns and a country boy can survive...."

Isn't it something like that? <GRIN>

kingstrider
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd probably start building potato guns then. You can get a lot of range using butane!

Jayhem
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd stop shooting till a reasonable way to make your own was found.

If guns become as illegal as they have in Europe you can be sure I'll be training at knife throwing and sword fighting. :)

01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
First try to come up with a reasonable sub for muzzleloader powder. Maybe even match heads :)
But in the end maybe go completely primitive!

1874Sharps
01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I, for one, believe there are a number os states that will never go along with confiscation of arms and ammo. I know Texas will not (or at least I think I do). There are many of you who, like me, took an oath to defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and we hold true to our oath. May God grant that the extreme of which we speak will never materialize, but it may. I will do what is within my power on all fronts to keep my oath. It gives me tremendous peace to know that the God I serve is the Sovereign of the universe and all will work to His glory. The duty is ours, the results are in His hands.

Tom308
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
There will always be weapons available. They can be supplied by our military or police. We may even get some from obama's interpol. There's also the mexican or canadian army.

wallenba
01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I guess I'd look into those high power air guns.

Boris
12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
with all the technology we got today, there is no way primers would dry up, and if they did, there are ways of making them. It's all about cost and opportunity, if regular primers would become scarce and expensive, there would be mini factories making them.

Houndog
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
We ALL know this is a "what if" thread and the garbage in the whitehouse will probably at some point try to severely limit firearms ownership or tax ammunition out of existance. ALL WILL FAIL! Try to limit the sales of firearms! There are bunches and bunches of home shop machinists that can, and would turn out guns, after all they are FAR simpler to make than some model steam engine. Tax ammo out of existance? How many of us already "roll our own" and how many chemists, ETC are shooters that could make powder and primers? Keep in mind we're talking black market here and being legal doesn't count! American ingenuity is alive and well and where there's a will there will always be a way.

starmac
12-15-2012, 05:15 AM
I reckon Houndog has done hit the nail on the head. For my purposes I may not even notice, but I hope there will be some around for the grandkids without living underground.

wildwilly
12-16-2012, 11:28 AM
My choice isn't listed either. But I already include archery and airguns as among my interests. The technology has advanced to such a level that one is capable of shooting groups at 50 yards as tight the average shooter can do with a firearm. Also, I'm waiting for someone to miniaturize a magnetic impulse projectile hurtler that can be carried in a shoulder rig and energized by four AA batteries.

Love Life
12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
What will I do if ammo and primers dried up? Get very good with a slingshot, bow, and sticks.

PatMarlin
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Awe- cast, shoot, and recycle, and don't forget BP. There's always a way to have some fun and live in the moment. I'm still in shock over the election and there's only so much I can take at one time personally.

Us kind of guys always find a way... :drinks:

Boerrancher
12-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Well I already own a couple of rock lock muzzleloaders, which I use most of the time anyway. I don't feel a bit handicapped going in to the woods even to squirrel hunt with either my trade gun or my 32 cal squirrel rifle. I kill just as many as I would with a 22 or a shot gun. I would most likely continue to do what I am doing. Hunting with a ML and not using up many of my regular components.

Best wishes,

Joe

gkainz
12-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse north Denver shelves are just about empty in the primers area. All that's left is a couple boxes of large rifle, large pistol magnums and shotgun primers. Nearly all the .224 bullets are gone. Most of the .45ACP shelf is empty. 30 minute wait at the gun counter to get some powder. IMR-4198 gone.

waksupi
12-18-2012, 02:15 AM
I would just like to remind members, I build smooth bore and rifled flintlocks. This is a good time of year to start an order for spring delivery, assuming suppliers could get the wood and steel in my hands in a timely manner.

starmac
12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Waksupi pm coming your way.

gwpercle
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I have allways wanted a flintlock.....might be fun.
gary

Lefty SRH
12-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Already have the muzzleloader and powder. Guess I need a .490" round ball mold and learn how to knap flint.

KCSO
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Boy for a flintlock shooter that's a tough one, lets see... Shoot my flinter!

Just Duke
12-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I would just like to remind members, I build smooth bore and rifled flintlocks. This is a good time of year to start an order for spring delivery, assuming suppliers could get the wood and steel in my hands in a timely manner.

More like a modern day Michelangelo of gun builders. Check this out guys. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?127351-Ajax-rifle-project

Rik
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
b&c, probably crossbow also.

10 ga
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Back in the 1800s great grandad built a "matchlock" type punt gun (2 in. bore) for shooting waterfowl commercially, it's in a museum now. Nowdays they are certainly illegal to use or possibly even possess(destructive device by definition). They are very easy to build and are constructed pretty regularly by certain people. Merry Christmas to all! 10 ga

X Z

uscra112
12-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Well I already own a couple of rock lock muzzleloaders,

LOL ! Never heard that one before. And I own one. It's even accurate!

JLDickmon
12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I voted buy a muzzleloader, but my real answer would be..
Bow and arrow.
I know plenty of guys that whittle bows, I know more guys that glue them up. I could learn.
I already make my own arrows, I know how to split my own feathers
I can and do, make my own endless loop bowstrings, I could learn how to tie a flemish knot..
I've knapped chert, flint, obsidian and thunder chert into usable heads, I've also learned how to make trade points out of old Skil saw blades..

I think I'd make it awhile.

JLDickmon
12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
LOL ! Never heard that one before. And I own one. It's even accurate!

must be a regional thing.. they're simply called "flinters" here..

bob208
12-22-2012, 10:30 AM
well i already have some muzzleloaders. some flint and some precussion. they are not that hard to build. the only problem is to feed them. already have a large stock of bp. would have to learn to make it.

i thought every one called them rocklocks.

wating for it to go down hill is not the way to do it. you should get that flintlock now. learn how to shoot it and care for it. you don't need a big one a .45 would do nice. it would save on powder and lead.

HighHook
12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Learn to Make primers and use crossbows to cure the trigger time.

Case Stuffer
02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
This thread is over 3 years old as is the post I quote part of

You know, .......I am amazed that a thread like this can extend for three pages, without anyone seriously addressing the potentials of large bore air guns!

As soon as I saw the thread I thought about the accounts of the air rifle used by a member of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

Long bows,recurve,compound,cross bows,air rifles and pistols,sling shots,blow guns have all been used very efectively in the past and still are by more than a few.

Bulldogger
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
When the ammo and supplies dry up: 1) muzzleloader, 2) make primers from match heads or make mercury fulminate, 3) crossbow, 4) battlefield pickups

Olevern
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Didn't take the poll 'cause mine is a multi prong approach. First, I don't think we need talk about IF primers and ammo dried up; for all intents and purposes, they already have.

I have what I need for my hunting and limited target shooting/working up loads to last me probably 3 or 4 years. I am supplementing my modern shooting with flint, percussion and airguns, all of which I had before the current craze.

I am also diverting the monies I might have spent on reloading components/ammo to purchasing some of the more traditional firearms recently brought into the market by trading in for the must-have semi auto rifles and pistols (such as nice bolt action and single shot rifles and older Smith and Wesson revolvers).

This too will pass, and if it doesn't and the doomsayers are right, the resistance against the USA stormtroopers, outfitted with the latest of armament technology paid for by our taxes, will be futile.

Think 3 a.m. assault with armored vehicles/ night vision equipped storm-troopers with flash bangs and a shoot to kill mentality.....it won't be pretty.

Looks to me like the govt. troops are already preparing and training for it.

The country you once knew doesn't exist anymore....Obummer wasn't kidding when he stated he wanted to fundamentally change the USA. It's a done deal.

Phoenix
03-27-2013, 03:31 AM
I swear this thread was the top one. It was the first thread below the stickies. not sure how since the last response was a month before I just posted.

TheCelt
03-27-2013, 07:45 AM
I busted out my son's old BB gun and mainatain MOS (minute of Sparrow/Squirrel) accuracy. It keeps the critters out of the bird feeder and I get my trigger time!!!

Case Stuffer
03-27-2013, 08:00 AM
, I don't think we need talk about IF primers and ammo dried up; for all intents and purposes, they already have.

This thread is close to 4 years old. The shortage of 2009 went away and during 2011 and part of 2012 ammo ,primers and powder were plentiful.

Think 3 a.m. assault with armored vehicles/ night vision equipped storm-troopers with flash bangs and a shoot to kill mentality.....it won't be pretty.

Out maned and out guned,well I have been on both sides of that fence during lead fling contest and have managed to stay alive. If a superior armed and trained force was all it took then ,Korea , Viet-Nam and several other conflict would have not lasted nearly as long and would have not cost so much in lives.

sparkz
03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
I would ask those in the Know ( my Friends at Cast Boolits ) how to make primers, and have a primer party at the house, with a pistol, Rifle, and trap shoot to follow, and as night fell I would strike up the BBQ and "Bar-Keep, Chicken Legs for all my Friends, and Sweet Feed for there Horses"

haha

Patrick
(lets hope we dont need to make then, Chicken Legs are expencive......)

dakotashooter2
04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Stock up on arrows................... FYI while a crossbow sounds like a good idea they take to long to reload. I can get 4-5 arrows launched out of a bow before a crossbow can be reloaded...............

Swamp Man
04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
What do you mean "IF" seems this is already the case other then a few odd ball rounds found here and there. I think it's time to start buying "Big Bore" air rifles to replace firearms and ammo in the dry times. I thought things were turning around then the mad rush to buy and resell at out of this world prices just picked up and eat up what stock was coming in. Then add to that what took place in Boston yesterday and we will be seeing another mad rush to buy anything and everything they can get their hands on again. Good thing I am already into air guns because it looks like it's time to think about buying big bores.

Teddy (punchie)
04-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Sound like a plan, LOL I think baba bommmoooobbbbbb . You have to what you have to do.

Teddy (punchie)
04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
primers were 2 1/2 cents when I started buying them a few months ago. Do you mean to tell me they never got above that in the previous ammo shortage situations?

Prices have gone up before and slowly back down, difference I see this time is there is very little to buy. Just none In some areas. Cheapest box of old kleanbores I just bought at auction was 75 cent for a hundred.

Teddy (punchie)
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Not sure the US military would go all out on the US citizens. Here just in PA, it would be very costly even for any size country to attack the US , by the numbers there are 1 mil hunters. More like 2 mil most have stopped do to age, lack of people to go with, time, money, no game to hunt. Now of that number how many have more an one gun. How many have 10 guns, how many have 20,30,40 guns or more. Remember we are talking hunting guns not ball or fmj ammo, going to be bloody, if it comes to that. You do the math that's allot to control. It would be sad day is all I can say. I believe they will start a War overseas to make us focus on the war and then go after what ever and blame the shortage on the War. Live By the Sword Die By the Sword !!! I'll set and watch, and do what I can for who I can. Hope and Pray it will pass.

Jon
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
The only primers I've seen are shotgun. I have a bit of a stash, but not that many.

OutHuntn84
04-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I pick A, B and C

Ohio Rusty
04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I have something called a 'Tap-o-cap' maker that makes percussion caps using caps like in kids cap guns. The cap itself is made from tin cans using the Tap-o-cap dies. This thing may become of some value yet. I see them on Flea bay from time to time.
I have some flintlocks and can knap flints ... the issue is the real BP to set it off ..
Ohio Rusty ><>

drinks
04-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Rusty, there are a number of substitute propellents for MLs, Check Amazon for instruction books.
They used to have "The Anarchist's Cookbook" and several on making BP and fireworks as well as model rocket propellants and technical grade chemicals are, or were, available and cheap on internet sites.
The tapacap tool and children's cap gun caps make good caps for MLs.

RoyEllis
04-18-2013, 06:33 PM
......... Chicken Legs are expensive......)

Dang skippy chicken legs are expensive, my ex had chicken legs & she cost me a FORTUNE!!! (Both to keep her and then to get rid of her.)

Bullet Caster
04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I chose the "make my own primers" 'cause there weren't any other good choices. I have a flintlock and a mild stash of powder but could learn how to make BP. I've got a quantity of flints stored up and have a .490 rb mould. I'm 62 now and still have my Crossman .22 pelet gun I got for Christmas when I was 12. I also inhereted a .177 bb air gun and have a bottle full of bb's. I drag out the ole Crossman once in a while to keep my shooting skills up to date. I've taken many a squirrel, blue jay and a few rabbits with that old gun. BC

MT Gianni
04-18-2013, 11:16 PM
If things dry up for good, I will be really nervous about making things go bang, as I believe it will be a large attractant to the wrong types.

Swamp Man
04-19-2013, 12:33 AM
If things dry up for good, I will be really nervous about making things go bang, as I believe it will be a large attractant to the wrong types.
That's one reason all men should have a well built air rifle for small game hunting.

mpmarty
04-19-2013, 12:48 AM
I've got five fifty caliber ammo cans full of loose 7.62 Nato surplus stuff from all over the world as well as a bunch of "battle packs" from Portugal and Africa. My semi auto 7.62 Nato has a dozen 20 round magazines with it in the safe all loaded and ready to rock n roll. I only shoot my own reloads and bought 30,000 large primers in 2007 along with all the powder (H335, blc-2, 3031 and Red Dot that could be shipped on one hazmat bill. I'm up here on my mountain and have a mile of twisted dirt driveway to navigate to even get in sight of my house. I figure every blue helmet I drop will supply me with more 7.62 Nato or 9mm ammo so I'll never run out.

freebullet
04-19-2013, 01:46 AM
"If". That's funny.

ffg
04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I have flintlocks . :D

Driver man
04-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Flintlocks and wheel locks along with a ball mill can be made. Technology from the past covered this possability.

GabbyM
04-21-2013, 02:53 AM
I've already moved 98% of my ammo stash off home site. But if it dries up completely I may even need to start locking my doors.
Reality is with all this hoarding going on. My place is not such a target anymore. It's also not as easy as it looks.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
tough ...