PDA

View Full Version : plastic tip for cast bullets

canuck4570
06-19-2009, 02:25 PM
want to insert plastic tips in the hollow point cavity of cast bullets just like they do for regular jacketed bullets from let say Nosler.....
in doing so I would enhance the BC and promote better expansion even a low velocity,
My question his where can I get those plastic tip?
and comments on this project are welcome
if able to get these tips I would have a hollow cavity made by Buckshot in accordance to the dimension of these plastic tips so they would press fit them in it....

Trey45
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I have no idea if this would even work or not, but do you think those little plastic airsoft bb's, or pellets, or whatever the kiddies use would work?

canuck4570
06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I got some of them and they are very irregular in diameter and round not to good for BC....

Shiloh
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
If you want them to open up at lower velocities, you need a softer alloy.

SHiloh

Blammer
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
see if you can make a mould for the tips an then use a hotglue gun to make them like people make "Gluelits" here.

mag44uk
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Would these be of any use?

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CBST&Category_Code=BBALLS

Tony

canuck4570
06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
good idea my forster hollow pointer was modified for .125 drill
wish they where pointed for the Bc to be enhanced
will send email to bullet company to see if I could buy some of tips from them

theperfessor
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Don't know what the industrial base is where you hail from but anybody with even the smallest tabletop size lathe could make you a few from plastic rod stock. That way you could try different point styles to see how much the BC really changes.

geargnasher
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm very interested in your problem, Canuck4570, I have a similar one. My beloved Lyman 452374 Devastators are absolutely wonderful performers in any 1911 .45acp, except that accuracy goes straight down the toilet from the first boolit to the last one in the mag due to the noses getting pounded to oblivion in the mag.

I've tryed alloy changes 'till I'm blue in the face and can't find a happy medium between boolits that are mushroomed before entering the chamber and boolits that don't explode into little fragments when hitting cardboard. (ok, I exaggerate, but it IS a real pain to have exactly the boolit, load, and performance I was looking for and then have the show stopped by hp damage).

My conclusion was to find some way to make plastic inserts and glue them in, or fill the tips with epoxy or body filler or something.

The hot glue idea sounds right on, I'll check that out. Pleas keep the ideas coming, I'll try a few and report back.

Gear

dk17hmr
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
How about just a regular .177 bb or candle wax.

I have a Lyman 454424 HP that 2 .177 bbs fit in the hollow, put a bit of wax or glue over the top to get them to stay in place. Seems like it wouldnt hurt expansion any.

jhrosier
06-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Way back, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, a pal of mine had a nose pin made with a step that was just a shade smaller than a fired primer, and just a shade shallower as well.
He filled the nose cavities with antifreeze and then seated a fired primer as a cap.
He claimed that the boolits expanded well and that the nose caps prevented damage.

The same boolits, when the cavity was filled with fffg and capped with a live primer had extremely impressive expansion. I would wonder what would happen of one of these beauties were dropped and landed nose first though. Prolly not a good plan to load them in a tube magazine either.

Jack

geargnasher
06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Way back, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, a pal of mine had a nose pin made with a step that was just a shade smaller than a fired primer, and just a shade shallower as well.
He filled the nose cavities with antifreeze and then seated a fired primer as a cap.
He claimed that the boolits expanded well and that the nose caps prevented damage.

The same boolits, when the cavity was filled with fffg and capped with a live primer had extremely impressive expansion. I would wonder what would happen of one of these beauties were dropped and landed nose first though. Prolly not a good plan to load them in a tube magazine either.

Jack

No way, man. I'm saving all my used primers for the time when dinosaurs will again roam the earth! That's about how long it will take me to perfect my primer-reconditioning methods:roll:

Gear

snaggdit
06-20-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm saving all my used primers for the time when dinosaurs will again roam the earth! That's about how long it will take me to perfect my primer-reconditioning methods:roll:Gear

I hear ya. My elbow is still resting on the nine LP primers I redid with matchheads. I keep telling myself to just load them and see...

BD
06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I can't help you with the increased BC, but if increased expansion is what you desire, this can be had in any hollow point simply by filling the hollow with silicone bathtub caulk, striking it off level and letting it set up. Any non-hardening caulk will do. You may find you need a smaller HP with this method as it will make something like the older Gold dots flatten into a "penny" with very little penetration.

My younger brother figured this out years ago. Hornady has just begun marketing it.

BD

geargnasher
06-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I filled the hp cavities of three of my "cycle-test" hp dummies that I use for oal and function testing with hot glue and it helps prevent the deformation quite a bit, really won't know for sure until I can get time to load and shoot some for real and see if they hold up in the magazines under full recoil.

If that works, then off to do my expansion testing all over again.

To be continued.......

Gear

canuck4570
06-20-2009, 02:04 PM
reading all your reply I have noticed and this I did not think of it "there is deformation of the hollow point during the recoil of the rifle" imagine if I put a plastic tip like the modern jacketed bullets it will surely during recoil be damaged by being push in the cavity and also maybe start the expansion process unless I glue them in....
if I don't get the plastic tip the other solution to prevent damage is like some of you suggested is to put either silicone or hot glue in the cavity
thank you all, its appreciated.....

jhalcott
06-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Maybe modifying your magazine to hold the rounds back during recoil would help. A "shoulder" running up the side of the mag to prevent the noses from touching the front. Or a rod on each side welded in place could do the same thing. This might mean some "adjustments " to the spring and follower too!

Blammer
06-21-2009, 11:23 AM
get a hot glue gun and then fill the nose with Hot glue, it will be solid when done and prevent deforming noses and should expand well upon contact as it's much softer than lead and easily mallable, esp at vel above 500fps.. :) I'd give that a try first.

I use it in the base of my 20ga slugs to prevent the wad from being forced into the rear cavity of the slug, seems to work well.

Nora
06-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm still on my first cup of coffee for the day, so in an hour I may wonder what I was actually thinking. But was wondering, to help keep the nose a in better shape from the recoil, how about hot gluing a small section of pencil eraser to the top. The refill type that come for the eraser pens from the stationary store. It should be easy enough to cut to the desired length and add with the hot glue already mentioned by the others.

Nora