PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Hvy Duty Decapping Die Spring?

CajunRebel
06-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Just bought a RCBS Heavy Duty Decaspping Die. Why they put in a spring?:( Decapping pin wobbles all over. Removed spring but pin floats around. Replaced spring and tightened as much as possible but still a little loose.

Bret4207
06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I bought an RCBS Universal decapping Die. Things about worthless. You have to hand align every case. A standard sizing die set short works far better.

wallenba
06-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Get the Lee universal, it's only about $15, the pin is held in a friction clamp that will yield before snapping the pin. Just readjust and retighten. I decap all my calibers with it, and never had to center a case.

fatnhappy
06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Just bought a RCBS Heavy Duty Decaspping Die. Why they put in a spring?:( Decapping pin wobbles all over. Removed spring but pin floats around. Replaced spring and tightened as much as possible but still a little loose.

Yeah, and do you think spare springs are available? NOT. I had a bunch portugese 7.62 cases that were a bear to deprime. They were so tight in the pockets almost 15% of the primer walls stayed in place when the bottom cup broke out. I bent a lot of pins depriming those and lost the darn spring in the process.

Eventually I deprimed the vast majority by hammering them out. The percussion impulse made a difference.