PDA

View Full Version : Newbie type lube Q

Bman
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I have been using a homemade lube ~50-50 Bee's wax and Moly axle grease. This works well with my pistol boolits and so far with lighter loads for my 30-30's, plinkers in .35Rem etc.

Has anyone used this type lube for higher velocity loads? In particular 2000-2200fps? Other than my pistol work I would like to run full power loads in my 30-30 and .35. I guess I'm lazy but cleaning out the lube-sizer and changing lubes is not my idea of casting fun.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this lube and is pushing it that hard a bad idea. My testing/load tuning/shooting time is very limited right now so if I can avoid major lube failure it would be nice. TIA

B

Char-Gar
03-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I have run bullets past 2K fps with a 60/40 mix of beeswax and Vasaline and your lube should be as good or better. I know folks who use your lube for the purposes you describe with good results. My only advice is to try it and then you can tell us.

However, my gut tells me, that when we push past the 2K fps barrier, we would be better of with Felix lube or something of that ilk.

Bman
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks I thought it would be pretty safe and I am using GC'ed boolits. I got in on the 311041 GB. Been sizing them to .311 my primary 30-30 is an old cut rifled 336 that slugs just over .308. The other one is an unslugged micro grooved 336.

I didn't want to make a newbie mistake and then find out the lube was just not up to the task, I know it works well at ~ 1600fps.

Thank You!!

B