PDA

View Full Version : which lube sizer?

smlekid
06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I am looking at getting a lube sizer and was after some feed back on the Lyman and RCBS models they seem to be the easiest to obtain here in Australia
the RCBS is is a little more expensive than the Lyman is there much difference?
I will mostly be using it for sizing pistol with some rifle bullets to suit a 303 and Nagant (.314") pistol is a 357 magnum
is one any better than the other?
also what is a good lube to use with rifle bullets for up to 2000fps? I have only used Lee LLA at this stage and have never lookeed into the stick type lubes

Gunslinger
06-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I have an RCBS. I like it. I haven't had it that long bought it used... works like a charm.

Now the only place I see a difference between the two is in the sizer dies. In RCBS the lube holes are drilled horizontically allowing for better distribution under less pressure in contradiction to the Lyman where the holes are placed vertically.

Haven't shot cast in rifles yet. But I know RCBS makes one named rifle lube.

fredj338
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
The Star/Magma is the best, but between those two, I like the RCBS. The Lyman is ok, but more cheaply made. The Saeco is also good.

Humbo
06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Go with the RCBS. A good machine, and if anything breaks, RCBS provides some of the best customer service there is. It's worth the extra costs IMO.

NuJudge
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Only buy the Star if you are going to Lube in huge quantity, and if you are going to size down bullets at least .001". My experience is that the lube leaks by the bullet if you are not sizing the bullet down a tad. The Star is a lot more expensive, and dies are more difficult to get, even here in the US. I run .45 acp pistol bullets through Star machines in huge quantities.

I regularly lube bullets on my Lyman machines using dies that are .001" or .002" larger than the bullet. That way the bullet is not touched by the die, a condition that usually gives me better accuracy in rifles.

I like good old fashioned 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F for rifles. I have gone up to 2200+ FPS with good accuracy. The cheapest source of good lube is Lar's, see the link below.

Recluse
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Agree with a lot of what's previously been said.

For quantity work with just one or two calibers, the Star is not hard to beat--it's impossible to beat.

My problem is I have too much time on my hands and like to fiddle. I love my old Lyman 45s as there are plenty of dies/sizers for it and they're easy to get.

But, if I were buying a new lubesizer today and wasn't buying a Star, I'd buy the RCBS hands-down, no questions asked with zero hesitation. It's simply better and RCBS is a lot easier to deal with than Today's Lyman.

:coffee:

dromia
06-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Agree with a lot of what's previously been said.

For quantity work with just one or two calibers, the Star is not hard to beat--it's impossible to beat.

My problem is I have too much time on my hands and like to fiddle. I love my old Lyman 45s as there are plenty of dies/sizers for it and they're easy to get.

But, if I were buying a new lubesizer today and wasn't buying a Star, I'd buy the RCBS hands-down, no questions asked with zero hesitation. It's simply better and RCBS is a lot easier to deal with than Today's Lyman.

:coffee:

I concur on all points. I got rid of a Star as it didn't suit my muliple calibre, multiple diameter, multiple lube, 2-500 boolits per run sizing requirements.

The RCBS is well worth thextra for their customer support, they have never failed me and I'm in the UK.

JIMinPHX
06-19-2009, 02:19 AM
I've been using a Lyman 4500 with no problems. I've used the Lyman Super Moly Lube up to 3,000fps with no leading of the barrel, but it's kind of messy to work with. If you store boolits that are lubed with the moly stuff in containers that aren't air tight, the moly lube dries up & shrinks noticeably. The hard lubes store better & don't get messed up when you bulk pack them, but you need an optional heater on the lubrisizer when you use the hard lubes.

cajun shooter
06-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Try the Carnuba Red from Lar's Stuff on this forum for your rifle lube and it will also work for the 357 as well. You can melt it down and pan lube if you don't have a sizer yet. I own two Stars with them loaded out in extra's but I shoot a lot. If you don't then the RCBS will suit your needs for quality and customer service. You will need some sort of heater for the RED as it's a hard lube. A piece of aluminum as a mount for your sizer and leave enough room for a travel iron to supply the heat.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2009, 06:11 AM
I have an RCBS lubrisizer, great warranty service if needed and Lyman dies work in it.

Robert

DLCTEX
06-20-2009, 07:58 AM
I have both RCBS and Lyman 45. The RCBS gets vote for best. I sometimes use a hair blow dryer to warm them in cold weather.

Bret4207
06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I have RCBS and 2 Lymans. I like the RCBS better, not sure why, it just feels smoother.

Echo
06-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I concur with the above. I have a Star and two RCBS, and have owned, and used, a couple of Lyman 450's. If you were to run upon a used Lyman cheap, you would not be misserved to buy and use it. They work. The RCBS have a more robust feel to them, and all else being equal, I vote for the RCBS.
And I generally use NRA 50/50 home brew.

CajunRebel
06-20-2009, 10:56 AM
This input comes at a good time. I throughly cleaned my Lyman 450, bought the heater, and loaded it with SPG for my .32-40. Then I thought, what am I going to do for my .357, 9mm, .45ACP? So I guess a RCBS, now to figure which lube.:confused:

siwel
06-21-2009, 01:13 AM
I started out with the RCBS, but it sucked in that the punch would pick up lube on the way up and deposit it on the base of the next bullet. The Star fit's my needs better and is a far superrior sizer.

WHITETAIL
06-21-2009, 07:51 AM
siwel & Rebel, Welcome to the forum!:cbpour:
I use a Lyman 450.