PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 44-250-k

LAH
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Cast from 92-6-2. Taken from boar. Mike Cumpston doing the shooting.....Creeker

cast-n-blast
03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd say the bullet held up nicely, just surprised it didn't exit.

LAH
03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Me too but it happens. His load was a moderate one using 9 grs. of Unique for just over 1000 fps. The bullet also traveled a long ways in the animal. Pigs can take a lot of pounding or sometimes just fall at the shot. I've had them do both. Below is some of what Mike had to say...........Creeker

Passing a large cedar, I saw the hog standing 30 feet away looking right at me. I raised the 29 and fired and the pig collapsed at the shot. This bullet had hit the spine destroying the spinal column, then traveled length wise removing several inches of heavy bone. We found it under the skin of one ham and noted that the back leg bone was also shattered.

cast-n-blast
03-16-2006, 02:19 PM
That explains that ! Traversing the length of a hog, smashing thru bone, and coming to rest in the ham is some kind of penetration. I'd like to see a jacketed pistol bullet do that ! Plus you get the satisfaction of casting your own bullet, and the sentimental connection of using something ole' Elmer created and used. Heck, I'm gettin' all choked up just thinking about it.

LAH
03-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I've shot boar end through end but the largest I've take with a sixgun was 200 pound field dressed. I used the L-429421 with a full load.......Creeker

Blacktail 8541
03-16-2006, 03:01 PM
That is just awsome performance! A bear that I shot with a 44 took a little more convinceing, all the shots were pass thru and 1 bullet recovered on the ground next to him. the boolit was a 300 grn cast performance WFN. Many vital hits but the bear did not Know he was dead.

LAH
03-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Well Black tail I've found if a cast bullet will hold together it will pass through a lot of meat and bone before stopping. The standard mix most commercial casters use is 92-6-2 and it seems a perfect mix for most things. It's plenty tough but not brittle. It also casts as easy as any alloy I've tried. I must admit though it's harder than needed for most things. I use straight air cooled wheelweights mostly and they work great for me...........Creeker