PDA

View Full Version : Sight alingment pictures

abunaitoo
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for something I can print out of a rifle sight picture.
I've found some for pistol, and AR's, but none for standard rifle sights.

Going to use it for teaching new shooters.

Pepe Ray
06-18-2009, 05:52 PM
IMHO there is no single standard rifle sight picture. Depending around which campfire your languishing you'll get a dozen different arguments as to which is the preferred sights. (I'll try to not let my prejudices show here.)
Many of the lever action crowd support the full buck horn or variations . The post vs bead crowd will jump in and then the Peep sight supporters, augmented by the mid position aperture.
Part of the problem is that there is so many disagreements about some of our definitions. Calling a dog a hound does not make him one.
Your project is an admirable one but will require more than one paragraph to accomplish.
Good luck, Pepe Ray

Leadforbrains
06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm in agreement with Peperay. There are different methods for different reasons, but the main Idea should be to literally focus on the front sight and proper stock weld.

The eye is truly a magical thing, but it can only focus on one thing at one time. The front sight should be the point of focus as that can be accurately referenced against the target and the rear sight. The proper stock weld will ensure repeatable proper sight alignment with the target.

jsizemore
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
When I teach a young'n sight alignment, it's usually a BB rifle, I draw a line drawing of the actual sights we will be shooting on poster board and cut them out and show how they look against the actual target we will shoot. You can make them as big as you like to show more detail. Staple them to a popsicle stick to add a little motion to an offhand shot.

06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Take a look at this.

http://www.odcmp.org/0907/default.asp?page=USAMU_SIGHTPICTURE

Great stuff there -- different holds, situations to use them in, and good diagrams.

Jim_Fleming
06-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Try getting some targets from this site: http://www.targetz.com/index.htm they seem to have several designs that you can print. Some of these might well keep the interest of younger minds for a bit...

I particularly liked the idea of shooting the billiard balls in order, either forward or reversed or even in random. (Search the "Fun Targets" section and you'll see instantly what I'm talking about.)

cajun shooter
06-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Try the NRA and the material they have for the instructor program.

Larry Gibson
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm looking for something I can print out of a rifle sight picture.
I've found some for pistol, and AR's, but none for standard rifle sights.

Going to use it for teaching new shooters.

Are you wanting "sight picture" or "sight alignment"? Two different things. Sight picture is where the sights , when properly aligned, are placed on the target for the desired point of impact of the bullet. Sight alignment is the relation (alignment) between the front and rear sight. Sight alignment is th most important of the two for accurate shooting.

Another question; I'm assuming by "standard sights" you mean the barrel mounted front and rear sights?

Tell me what you want and I'll scrounge up some good examples, scan them and post. Always like to help new shooters.

Larry Gibson