PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable variation in 22 cast bullets

44mag1
06-17-2009, 03:26 PM
What is your acceptable weight variation for 22 cast bullets?.Im casting a lyman 225462 and keeping all that are within 1-10th of a grain over or less then 57.3 grains. Im thinking any that weigh less may have a void.

felix
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Correct you are! Seperate those keepers into 3 batches: -1,0,+1 variances. ... felix

JeffinNZ
06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
That's what I work to. + or - 0.1 grain.

Since I mad a new 5mm thick aluminum sprue plate with tiny lil 2mm pour holes my variance has dropped right down. Those Lyman sprue holes are WAY to big.

Bass Ackward
06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
You better weigh if you are going to exceed the pressure rating of your hardness for your lube combination in a certain gun. Or if you want to shoot powders considered too fast for the bullet weight by most jacketed loading manuals. The harder (and faster) you spank them the better they need to be.

If you aren't going to exceed it and just shoot slower powders like you would for jacketed, then the payoff just isn't there to weigh. So I don't bother.

beagle
06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Kind of interesting weighing out .22s. It does make a difference.

I once weighed out about a thousand one winter and segregated them into .1 grain brackets. I then graphed and plotted all the weights on a graph and it came out looking like a bell curve as I suspected it would.

I loaded and tested the heaviest and the lightest as one batch and neither shot very well. The ones at about the middle of the curve shot the best and one's on the slopes were grouped together in .2 grain groups. These gave almost as good accuracy as the ones in the middle of the curve.

Based on this, avoid very light and very heavy bullets.

Yeah, I did have alot of time on my hands that winter./beagle