PDA

View Full Version : Lee auto-prime slow failure

joeb33050
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
LEE AUTO-PRIME SLOW FAILURE
I have used my Lee Auto-Prime to prime with both large and small primers, for a long time. Years. I’ve been fiddling with 308 Winchester large primer cases and 30BR small primer cases for some time. Yesterday I concluded that the 308 case primer pockets weren’t deep enough. Last night that seemed not to make sense. Today, 16 June 2009, I figured out that the problem was with the Lee Auto-Prime. It is worn to the point where it won’t push either large or small primers below the base of the case. I put the Huntingdon press primer thingy on the press, and was able to seat both large and small primers below the base of the case.
I have used the Auto-Prime and Lee Loaders forever. The Lee powder measure, press, collet dies and molds never satisfied me. The Lee Loaders and de-priming rod and base work great.
The problems as I see them revolve around Zamak and low cost approaches to design. Lee, like Ruger, would be much better products if the companies spent 5-10% more money on building them.
The Auto-Prime problem is a Zamak, or whatever it is, part just plain wearing out.
I recommend that anyone using the Lee Auto-Prime keep a careful watch on the primers, making sure that they are below the base of the bases of the cases. This will sneak up on you, and could cause a cartridge to slam fire. I’m throwing my Auto-Prime out. It’s fast and sensitive and easy to use, but it sandbagged me and I’m done with it.
joe b.

Johnch
06-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Call Lee
They sent me the parts ......on their dime and for free

John

looseprojectile
06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I have six auto prime tools. I have broken two and thrown them out. The cast groove where the shell holder goes is the weak spot for me. The cast gives way and the shell holder and primed case breaks off. I have a lot of spare parts because of this. I probably should swage my primer pockets to make them easier to prime.
My plastic lids are nearly all broken even in spite of me being so very careful. It is still a great tool for the money. I would not like to go back to the press priming tools.
I use heavy grease on those pot metal parts and have not had any wear to the point it is unusable yet.
I don't remember ever having bought one new, I just seem to get them in the reloading stuff that I get from others.
Some things are just expendable.

Life is good

Safeshot
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Hello joeb33050,
You might want to call Lee and "give them a chance to make it right". Some of the new parts are made of STEEL and even the Zinc,"pot metal" parts are thicker and stronger. My Lee Priming tools are "going strong" with replacement parts - sent to me at no cost by Lee.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Safeshot

Ben
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
My problem with the Lee Auto Primer System is being able to seat a primer to the exact same depth on 10 cases in a row. For me using thumb pressure with no stop built into the system gives erratic seating depths when seating primers.

It has been my observation that people who have used the Lee Auto Prime either love them or hate them. I personally have given up on the Auto Prime and have given several of them away to novice beginners who had a problem with their finances while trying to get up on their feet in reloading.

The Lyman Ram Prime (see below in the link ) is a little bit slower but seats primers to the same depth each and every time.

The unit is all steel, I can't see it ever wearing out and you don't have to buy extra shell holders, just use the standard shell holder that fits the particular round that you're reloading.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=709884

jhrosier
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Funny you all should mention this.
I just dicovered a couple of days ago that my high primer problem was due to a worn out autoprime.
For the longest time I thought that it was just me not putting enough pressure on the handle.
I went to the Lee website and noticed that they offer the replacement link cheap enough but the shipping cost would probably drive it up a bunch.
I might just buy a whole new unit and keep the old one for spare parts.

Jack

RayinNH
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Joe, your auto prime sounds like my car. I've got over 120,000 miles on it, I keep fixing it, and it still wears out. I just don't get it...Ray

dbldblu
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I bought a steel replacement link for mine from one of the reloading supply houses, I forget which one. It cost a dollar or two and solved the problem. Shipping got combined with some other stuff and was not an issue either.

HeavyMetal
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Joeb:
Anything mechanical wears out. I've had a Lee auto prime for more years than I care to count and, with just a bit of grease on the pivot points, I've never had a problem with it. Early ones I did "pop" the top on one and Lee made it right.

Ben:
When I started reaming primer pockets to a standard depth I stopped having primer depth problems with the auto prime. Yes it is a bunch more work to do when case prepping but the end result is worth the effort. It's also amazing how many primer pockets are not the right depth or, and this is good, how many are actually on an angle! I can tell this because the pocket will be cut glass smooth on one side and untouched on the other!

The tool I'm using fits the pocket snuggly so it's not the tool going in at an angle it 's the pocket itself.

Interesting that I find each brand of brass differ's in pocket "construction"! Speer's never seem to need cleaning up, Federals and Winchester run about 50% PMC's 100% remingtons vary depending on caliber, 357 never seem to need much cleaning, 38 specials seem to need a lot!

Go figure. Anyway just posting what I find when I prep brass.

tenexx
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I like the Auto Prime's a lot but have broken the handle on both the Auto Primes that I use. Lee has sent me new parts each time.

ddeaton
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
When not loading on my Dillon the autoprime is the only thing I use. The only thing that is even an issue sometimes is swaged military brass, which is finicky anyway. At about $14, use them and throw them out. I have 4 of them. I also have a Sinclair $100 benchrest hand primer which lies in the box collecting dust.

Ben
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
HeavyMetal :

I can see how uniforming primer pockets would be a big help.

I'm not " Lee Bashing " with my comments above. If it works , it stays on my bench, if it doesn't work, it doesn't stay long.

I like the Lyman Ram prime system, but like you find that different brands of cases require me to make very minor adjustments , as to seating depth, even with the Lyman Ram Prime.

Ben

Maximilian225
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Funny you all should mention this.
I just dicovered a couple of days ago that my high primer problem was due to a worn out autoprime.
For the longest time I thought that it was just me not putting enough pressure on the handle.
I went to the Lee website and noticed that they offer the replacement link cheap enough but the shipping cost would probably drive it up a bunch.
I might just buy a whole new unit and keep the old one for spare parts.

Jack

If I remember correct Lee charges a flat shipping of $4.00

-Max

MtGun44
06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Look at the portion of the Autoprime body that holds the shellholders. I believe you will
find that there is a crack that permits the shellholder to flex upward and prevent you
from getting full travel. I have had two fail this way after many years of service.

Bill

S.R.Custom
06-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Look at the portion of the Autoprime body that holds the shellholders. I believe you will
find that there is a crack that permits the shellholder to flex upward and prevent you
from getting full travel. I have had two fail this way after many years of service.

Bill

What he said... My first one broke after 10 years of constant use. And in those ten years, I never noticed any wear. But then again, I maintain my reloading gear like a 1911 or Harley Davidson-- meticulously clean, and swimming in oil.

joeb33050
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
I wrote this and put it up on some forums, looking for comment. I got a lot of “It’s only $12.99, just buy another one.” and “Get new parts from Lee/Midway and don’t complain.”
The commenters miss the point. I don’t care about the money, or about replacing parts. It ain’t about the money. It’s about the primers not bottoming out in the primer pockets, while the tool “feels” like the primer IS bottoming out.
Does accuracy suffer when primers are at varying depths in the primer pocket? Priming tool makers claim so.
I have lubed the Auto-Prime frequently, as I do all my mechanical devices. It slowly failed, and I didn’t know it failed until primers started getting flat even with the base.
Trash.
joe b.

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Ive wore out and broke a few of them myself but still think there the best bang for the buck in a priming tool

pdawg_shooter
06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
I bought 2 auto primes when they first came out. I keep one set up for LPs and the other for SPs. I would hat to have to add up all the cases these have primed! I lube the linkage with a good stiff grease and have yet to brake or ware any thing out. I do cut my pockets to a uniform depth and seat by feel. Very uniform for me.

The Double D
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
After my Auto prime blew up and Lee fixed it for free, I bought an RCBS RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool andnever looked back.

To bad it's so expensive.

BeeMan
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Joe,

Inconsistent seating depth almost certainly makes a difference. Variation anywhere in the system adds to total variation potential.

The big questions are:

1)How much difference does it make in your guns with your loads?
2)Does that degree of difference matter with your particular application?

I discovered wear on the AutoPrime link when it was no longer seating correctly. In my shooting I had NOT noticed a loss of performance in loaded rounds. Lost performance for me is defined as obvious reduction in accuracy attributable to ignition problems or misfires due to lost firing pin energy. I bought another AutoPrime and carried on.

BeeMan

Rick N Bama
06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
After my Auto prime blew up and Lee fixed it for free, I bought an RCBS RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool andnever looked back.

To bad it's so expensive.

I'm in the process of selling one of the RCBS tools as we speak. Ran out of room on my bench & I went back to using the Lee. So far I've not had a problem with my 2 units, however I will start checking to make sure the primers are seated as they should be.

FWIW, a lot of benchrest shooters use the Lee priming tool & if it works for them..........

Rick

captaint
06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
The Lee Auto Prime is a neat little tool. It will, however wear out or break a couple of parts. I have said this before - Call or get a Sinclair catalog. They have a priming tool that you will not live long enough to wear out or break. It costs about like 5 or 6 Lee tools, but it is a thing of beauty. I'ts all a matter of choices. Enjoy Mike

Leftoverdj
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I've gone to the press mounted AutoPrimeII. It does not have the go-anywhere convenience, but you are not going to wear one out. More importantly to me, it uses standard shell holders so I don't have to fumble around looking for a special shell holder I might not have.

Rocky Raab
06-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I keep two Auto-Primes set up for large and small primers. The only breakage I've ever had was the lip that holds the shellholder in place, and Lee promptly sent me a whole new unit - which provided me with spare parts in the process.

I do keep a smear of grease on the handle end, and have never noticed any wear there whatever as a result. I use either STOS or Shooter's Choice gun grease. Once a year is enough - and this thread reminds me they are due again!

trk
06-17-2009, 08:21 PM
I keep two Auto-Primes set up for large and small primers.

As do I.

I've worn out at least two. It doesn't take much to put in a few thousandths of an inch shim stock to compensate for wear.

I check every round (loosely speaking) by feeling for primer slightly below the surface.

willyboy
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Lee also makes a ram prime system.

Bret4207
06-18-2009, 07:10 AM
I've worn out 3 Auto-Primes. Good tool for the dollar. And yes, as with all other variations in the loading process, variations in seat depth can affect the overall results. I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that any and all variations affect the outcome.

XWrench3
06-18-2009, 07:22 AM
i have a lot of lee stuff. mostly becasue i was unsure about how much i would use it, (many moons ago, i reloaded for 4 or 5 years. then i got out of shooting for a long while, and sold off most of my stuff) so if i was going to end up getting rid of it, cheaper is better. some of it seems decent enough, some of it is just plain JUNK! in my humble opinion, if it is lee, you got what you paid for (cheap). if it fails, buck up and pay for good stuff and fotget about it. i miss my rockchucker! but i hated the messy, gooey rcbs case lube!

joeb33050
06-18-2009, 07:30 AM
As the Auto-Prime wears, the primer doesn’t bottom in the pocket, although it feels like the primer IS bottoming. As wear goes on, the primer rises in the pocket, until it isn’t below the case head. I guess what bothers me is that the wear and rising primer isn’t obvious as I used the tool.
After seating a primer, L or S, with the Auto-Prime, when I try the case in another priming setup, I can feel the primer go in further and then seat.
Would some of you using an older Auto-Prime try this, see if the Auto-Prime isn’t seating the primers all the way-even though below the case head?
joe b.

Rocky Raab
06-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I used mine yesterday and I can confirm that after untold thousands of rounds, both of them still seat to the bottom of the pocket. In fact, this thread and its report of wear come rather as a surprise to me. I've never experienced such.

But then, as I said, I do keep mine lightly lubed, too. Dry metal on metal might grind down the surfaces fast, especially lower-grade metals like these. It takes only seconds to pop the handle out, place a dab of case lube or gun grease on both ends of the link and pop it back together. Problem prevented, apparently.

joeb33050
06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I've worn out 3 Auto-Primes. Good tool for the dollar. And yes, as with all other variations in the loading process, variations in seat depth can affect the overall results. I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that any and all variations affect the outcome.

"I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that any and all variations affect the outcome."

Finally, we agree.
joe b.

Rocky Raab
06-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Bret, are you sure that's what you meant to say? As written, it says that variations do NOT affect the outcome.

TAWILDCATT
06-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I have several makes of press but use the lee mostly.my presses some go back to before WW2. it seems no matter what ,someone always breaks there tools and then its JUNK.or its cheap.I have had one auto prime break and I checked its thinner at the break than my others.I also bought the set of shell holders.they are useful also in the impact hammer.and for those that want lee to make them to your specs.they make good tools for an inexpensive price.you can have your hornady and dillons,its not that they are bad but I dont want to pay the price.if lee made their tools to that grade they would put both out of business.there is only one press lee makes that I think is a waste and thats the LNL. the lee turret will do as a auto advance or single stage.if you had started as I did with a win tong,you would see the diference.
the lee tools get new reloaders started at very fair price.and thats to are advantage as they will want the 2nd protected.:coffee:[smilie=1:

JW6108
06-21-2009, 05:05 PM
This is the second time in 5 months that my reloading has been held up by breakage of some part of an auto prime.

I'm done with them.

I have ordered an RCBS universal priming tool.

jlchucker
06-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Although I have an old RCBS priming tool, for a number of years now I've exclusively used the Lee Autoprime. Never had but one thumbpiece break, and Lee replaced that one about 10 years ago. No other problems. What the heck, though--I only paid around 10 bucks for the tool, and have really gotten my money's worth. RCBS stuff is good, too, as is their warranty--but you cand expect to pay a whole lot more for their products. Everything wears out sooner or later, but I figure I've gotten my 10 bucks worth many times over from my Lee Autoprime.

Recluse
06-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Some folks here, I'm convinced, I wouldn't loan a cast iron anvil to without serious fear that I'd get it returned broken or "defective" somehow.

We're talking about a $15 tool that gets the SAME use as any single stage press out there. Every press gets at least one pull of the handle, and every priming tool does likewise. Virtually impossible not to.

I still have my little Lee Auto Prime hand tool that I bought back in 1989. I should probably buy it a birthday cake next month or maybe a Happy 20-year Anniversary card.

No telling how many tens of thousands of primers--large and small--it has seated for me. Worst problem I have is that I have to put a rubber band around the plastic primer holder cover and tray to keep it on.

Guess that's reason enough to toss it, swear off all Lee products and grumble and moan about how victimized I am. . . :rolleyes:

JoeB--if you break down how many primers you've set with that tool over how many years, I would suspect that by using even YOUR occasionally questionable reserach analysis and conclusions, you will have come out quite ahead.

:coffee:

DLCTEX
06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I own 4 Auto Primes, if the two originals, left set for large and small primers, fail tomorrow they owe me nothing as they have primed many tens of thousands of cases. I bought the other two in like new condition on Ebay when you could get a steal every now and then. I solved the loose lid problem with short sections of Q-tip stems press fit to keep the lid from turning. I now do most of my priming on my Lee classic cast turret with the safety prime. It uses regular shell holders, has a large separation between primers and the case being primed (safety), changes primer size and shell holders in seconds, and primes on the down stroke of the ram with plenty of leverage for feeling the primer seat. Just my Dos Centavos.

HORNET
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I've never had any problem feeling primers hit the bottom of the pocket priming on my old Rockchucker and have plenty of leverage in reserve for the tight ones. Usually do the priming when bringing the case down out of the M-die. I did break a priming arm about 15 years ago but that was the only thing that gave me any problem. I tried a Lee and didn't much care for it, still got another Autoprime under the bench that I haven't used. Maybe some of you just got no sense of touch..........

Bret4207
06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Bret, are you sure that's what you meant to say? As written, it says that variations do NOT affect the outcome.

A professional typist and editor I'm not. You interpreted what I was trying, poorly, to say. Any and all variations have some effect on the outcome.

Bret4207
06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
"I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that any and all variations affect the outcome."

Finally, we agree.
joe b.

Then why do you argue against that idea continually elsewhere?:veryconfu

windrider919
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Putting aside my gripes with 'new' Lee bullet moulds. I have had excellent results with Lee dies, case prep tools, etc. Price wise they can't be beat. And I have RCBS and Lyman equipment that has worn out. The first thought I have is why should we expect reloading equipment to be immortal? Just like anything else that is a moving part or is stressed, eventually it will wear out or break. Any other device manufacturer ( home appliance, sporting goods, automotive, etc) would laugh to the unlimited lifetime warranties we expect of firearms equipment manufacturers.

I have two Lee prime tools, one from before the Auto-prime and one Auto-prime. The original has loaded tens of thousands of primers. And yes, a few years ago I noticed that it was not seating all the way. Upon disassemblely I found the metal cam contact points had worn. This tool cost me around $3.00 new and I had gotten almost 15 years service. That is pretty good in my opinion!!!!!! So I cut a shim that would fix the problem and went on loading. It has been loading for another decade with a drop of oil occasionally. I did buy an Auto-prime too back then to have as a spare but mainly I use it for Small primers and the old one for Large primers..

I like the Lee better than the press mounted or the RCBS because I can 'feel' the primers seat better.

My opinion is: Complaining unjustified.

Junior1942
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
....My opinion is: Complaining unjustified.+1 on that opinion. The pot metal arm inside mine broke after 20+ years. A new arm was cheap from Lee. I now use two Auto Primes, one with an L tray and one with a S tray.

If I need to install ony 1 to 3 primers, I use a 30-30 Lee whack it Loader priming method for a bunch of different cases.

Trey45
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
In todays mail I had a package from Lee, I called them last week to report that my Lee Auto Prime Large primer tray had worn out, the plastic lips below the shell holder had somehow folded in, preventing primers from sliding into place. The woman I spoke to on the phone asked for no proof of purchase, didn't want me to mail the bad part in, she simply took my information, created an account, and mailed the new LP tray to me, I got it, assembled it and primed a few cases, works just like it did when it was new. Didn't cost me anything except 4 minutes of my time on the phone. Put me down for another +1 on the complaining unjustified column.

joeb33050
06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
My opinion is: Complaining unjustified.
I write about my experiences here to alert you to what unusual things have happened to me.
The Lee Auto-Prime that I've used ended up not seating primers all the way down but feeling like it did.
I had a few Lyman Alox Bullet lube sticks that caused me a lot of trouble, and I wrote about that.
A couple of MTM boxes had the funny characteristic that at the top of the ctg. holder, where the case hit the edge, corroded the cartridge cases quite a bit.
I'm not complaing, informing.
If you don't want to know, fine by me.
It certainly ain't the money, it's the unusual efect on my reloading.
joe b.

SciFiJim
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I write about my experiences here to alert you to what unusual things have happened to me.

What some call complaining, others call informing. I read through these threads to learn more. I am still new to reloading (less than a year). I would rather hear what some call complaining, than not learn the things to watch out for. I have a Lee auto-prime, and now I know to keep it lubed.