PDA

View Full Version : Dutch4122- Modified Ohaus 270 Grn Keith Swc

Paul5388
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to posting on the group buy results. :oops:

I have recently acquired a H&R .45 Colt BC Carbine, which is an outstanding platform for using this long nosed bullet in!

Since I don't own .45 Colt dies yet, I use Lee .45 ACP dies to do the task. It really isn't a problem and they will full length size, but I prefer a "neck" size in this instance. Using a Universal Decapping Die to punch the spent primers out simplifies the resizing process and does away with a need to full length size.

The finished product looks like this, which also shows on the brass case the amount I size.

http://www.bbhfarm.com/albums/album23/abj.sized.jpg

The mould is functioning flawlessly and now that I figured out the proper nose punch (#424), the unsightly ring around the nose has disappeared. The picture shows the results of using ACP seating stems, which are normally round nose, and it has rounded the SWC nose somewhat.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with a mould! :D

Paul5388
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
In case you're wondering about the alloy of those bullets, it's 50% clip-on WWs and 50% stick-on WWs, fluxed with cedar sawdust.

I used 23.0 gr of H110 and 24.0 gr of Lil'Gun on a couple of loads today, just for a function check. There was quite a bit more recoil to the Lil'Gun load, but neither one produced any leading.

The other day, I shot 13.0 gr of Blue Dot (BD) and 23.0 gr of H4227 and recoded 1270 fps for the BD load and 1458 fps for the 4227 load.

I have yet to see any leading with any of the loads. I'm using a .452" sizing die in a Lyman 4500 which is slightly under the slugged size of the barrel.

hammerhead357
06-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi Paul I got in on one of the extra of this mould and have cast some but not shot them yet. I intend to use mine in a S & W 625 in the 45 ar.
The only gripe I have about the mould is that it is a square grease groove design and the boolits don't just fall out but have to be tapped out for the most part. But I like the boolit so will have to live with it.
I don't have a BC but do have a 94 Trapper I will have to try them in with the 45 Colt at some point. Thanks for posting your results and your loads...Wes

ddixie884
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Paul, that is a great looking boolit, and a good use of available loading equipment. I was out of pocket when you guys made the group buy, and missed out. I feel deprived. I keep hoping someone will be unhappy with theirs, and offer it for sale in the swapping & selling section. I don't post a lot, but follow your posts on .45acp revolvers, as well as Smith Crazy, and Erich. I really appreciate all of the knowledge that gets shared on this board.

Paul5388
06-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Wes,

I think you'll like this bullet with 13.0 gr of 2400, if you want something in the 950 fps range. I've shot that load in a couple of 625s and when Chunkum was still alive, we shot it in his 1917.

Not to bad mouth the original bullet or the NEI that was made from the original, but I like this one better than either of the other two.

I have found that the Lee 6 cavities I have like to be run pretty hot. I pre-heat the moulds on a hot plate and then run the Lee 20 pound bottom pour on just about a maximum setting. I also keep the melter pretty full, which is harder to do when casting 6 of the heavier bullets.

Hardcast
06-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Wes,

<snip>
Not to bad mouth the original bullet or the NEI that was made from the original, but I like this one better than either of the other two. <snip>

Can you explain why you like this one better?

Paul5388
06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
I never used the original mould, but did use the NEI mould. The NEI was very hard for me to cast with and get good fill out. When the bullets were sized, they would tend to smear into the rather shallow lube groove.

The original mould also had a shallow lube groove. If they didn't smear, there was plenty of lube in either one.

The Lee variety I'm using now fills out and drops easily, even using the same alloy I had difficulties with in the NEI. The lube groove is larger and square bottomed, so there's always enough lube, even for 1500 fps loads.

I'd have to measure to tell exactly, but the meplat on the Lee bullet is larger than the NEI or the original Ohaus. When the lube groove was modified, the material had to go somewhere, with part of it going into the driving bands and part going into the nose.

I'll see if I can get a good comparison picture, but in the meantime, here's the original two bullets.

http://www.bbhfarm.com/albums/album23/aad.jpg

Hardcast
06-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Paul5388
06-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's a few more pictures with all three bullets compared. The type is marked on the base in this one.

http://www.bbhfarm.com/albums/album23/abm.sized.jpg

These are labeled.

http://www.bbhfarm.com/albums/album23/abl.sized.jpg

http://www.bbhfarm.com/albums/album23/abk.sized.jpg

You can see where the Ohaus has closed up the crimping groove in the sizing process (I cleaned the lube out of sized bullets for the pictures). The NEI is susceptible to the same issue of closing the grooves in sizing.

Hardcast
06-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I see what you mean. Do you have the NEI mold?

Paul5388
06-28-2009, 04:17 PM
No, the NEI mould was Chunkum's that I borrowed, but GLL (Jerry) has one just like it. In fact, he may have a better comparison picture than what I did, since he has the Lee mould too.

Hardcast
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
OK, thanks.

45 2.1
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I have recently acquired a H&R .45 Colt BC Carbine, which is an outstanding platform for using this long nosed bullet in!

How about a good review of that rifle. I've seen them, but haven't ponied up the money for one.

Paul5388
06-29-2009, 12:26 PM
With the rudimentary Marble buckhorn sights, I'll have to do something about moving a target to 50 yards, instead of the normal 100 yards. That would be the only way to ever assess the accuracy, without installing a scope on it.

That said, I'll see what I can do.

hammerhead357
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Paul I don't have any 2400 on hand. I went and checked the powder cabinet and there was none. Any info for unique, 700x or 800x???
I also have H110, lil-gun and red dot on hand any info would be of a great help...Wes