PDA

View Full Version : Time between casting/shooting?

rockrat
06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Wondering how long you wait until you lube/shoot your boolits. Thinking acww/wcww and ac#2/wc#2. Thanks

ANeat
06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Its a little easier to size them when there pretty fresh. They will get a little harder with some age so if the hardness is critical you may want to wait a week or two.

After that shoot away.

I have cast/lubed/loaded/shot;all on the same day

runfiverun
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
about three weeks will have you close to the final hardness of all of them they will continue to harden for a bit more but are close enough by then.
if you are waterdropping or using a dang hard alloy i like to do the sizing within a few days.
like adam,, i have cast and shot on the same day before also.

largom
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I wait 3 weeks before loading. Point to remember- If your alloy is air cooled and rather soft and you size right away there is a chance of bumping the nose Dia. up some during sizing.
Larry

Bret4207
06-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Same day to many years. If you're heat treating/quenching then you need to wait 2-3 weeks at least.

runfiverun
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
you can bump the nose on waterdropped too, but my star has never done that.

jonk
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Depends. If I am shooting something for which I have a 6 cavity mold, it's easy to make up a mess of bullets ahead of time. So usually weeks/months.

If a 1 cavity mold, I'm lazy and usually just cast enough for immediate needs. Sometimes a day later, usually not more than a month.

dwtim
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I lube and size them immediately if they have been water quenched. Otherwise, in advance of when I need them.

I wait a couple weeks to shoot WQ bullets, but have had no problems shooting AC bullets the next day.