PDA

View Full Version : What size hole?

moptop
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Okay guys, I'm attempting to make my own electric bottom pour melting pot. Can anyone tell me what size hole is used? I want to make sure I don't have my melt go all over the mold, the table, and me, the first time I open it up!

All my molds are the 2 cavity style. No 6 bangers yet!

Thanks much!

oneokie
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
The spout hole in my Saeco 24 is 1/16".

bobthewelder
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
How are you heating it? I was contemplating this using a water heater element or two.

moptop
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Bob, I'm using a 120v 650 watt defrost heater element from a refrigerator. The pot I'm building might hold 10Lbs of alloy if filled to the top. I'm using a small stainless mixing bowl for the pot. I've already built one I use with a ladel and it works great....and it was cheap and easy to make!!

A water heater element will not work for this purpose. They are very high watt/density type elements and are designed to be emersed in water. They rely on the water to "transfer" the large amounts of heat away from the element and they will burn out very quickly (6 to 10 seconds) if run in the open air. A better choice would be an oven element or a stove top element. Of course, they are 240v.

I've posted a picture of the last one I built on this site, just do a search. I'll warn you, it's not very pretty but it does work!