PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-230-TC

jcdean
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I am new to casting so educate me a bit if you would.

My new mold is casting out at about .451 using WW and my slugged barrel wants .452.

These are going to be cowboy rounds, so I am not looking for one hole groups. But, is this going to be an issue?

I am using the Red Rooster Zambini lube in my lubrisizer and it is leaving a small ring on the bevel base and a bit of a smear on the sides as well. They are just not filling the sizing die.

Figure I need to ask now instead of regret it later.

mroliver77
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
They might be fine. Shoot some and see how they work. If you have any saoft lead you might want to cut your WW with it. Softer alloy will upset easier and seal off the gases. Many here "Beagle" their molds. This is simply putting a shim of some kind between the mold faces to hold them apart and get a larger boolit. Many use the furnace/duct tape that is made out of aluminum with a sticky side. You can get away with paper too by using some boolit lube to stick it fast to the mold faces.(or so I am told) I cut a wafer of foam from a meat packing tray to fit into my sizer die. It conforms to the base of the boolit and keeps lube from injecting there. Oh and welcome.
Hope this helps.
Jay