PDA

View Full Version : 357 Lee 180gr flat nose bootit group buy?

jeff223
04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
anyone interested in doing a run on this mold again?from another forum i learned there is an interest in this mold and i think it would be a good one to do again.i would like a Lee mold to make this bullet.

180gr 357cal with a gas check,a flat nose bullet

Willbird
04-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I would sign on IF LEE would agree to run some of the 25 with no Gas Check Shank,I run CNC machines for a living and I know that all is required to do that is a simple program change.

I am just too cheap to buy gas checks for revolver boolits.

Bill

tall grass
04-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Jeff223

I'm interested. I think if we wait a month or two we might get more signed on though. There is just a lot of deals going right now. 4 or 5? I've lost track. One of both plain base and GC would be great. Can't afford both right now as I'm in on another one of the buys.

Jim

tall grass
04-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Jeff223

You are talking about the same design as the earlier group by (Lee C358-180-RF six cavity)?

Jim

Alright, I took time and reread your post and It is obvious that is what you are talking about.

jcork
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
158-180 sounds kind of interesting to me in a DC; I'd probably prefer plain base just because I'm cheap.

MT Gianni
04-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Any thoughts to a 200 grain bullet? The 180 has been done and I don't remember what the vote difference was for a 200 grainer. Gianni.

jeff223
04-14-2005, 08:04 AM
this lee mold was run some time ago and had good reports.in 357mag and in 357max handi rifles this bullet shot good.i now have a 357max TC Contender and have been thinking about a 180gr or even a 200gr bullet.there are molds out there that i can get from another company to make this bullit but they are more money.i can get into casting useing Lee stuff for alot less money.you see i am cheap too.

this bullit could be a 200gr bullit as the max will push that big of bullit good enough.a 200gr would make the max a heavy hitter too.one way or the other im in for a mold.we can wait till we get enough interest.i have several good loads and bullets that shoot great with jacketed bullets for my Contender.i will just use those till the mold deal goes down.

im open for any ideas here too as i know nothing about casting bullits.ive read i need a hard cast with a gas check and a nice big flat nose bullit for hunting.this big flat nose seems to be the ticket.at Graybeard outdoors Veral Smith says this and he seems to have a big following.only bad thing is his molds are high dollar

jeff223
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42&stc=1

this is the very bullit im talking about.i found this picture here on another post.a fellow is useing it with his 357 herret

Leftoverdj
04-14-2005, 11:54 AM
I would sign on IF LEE would agree to run some of the 25 with no Gas Check Shank,I run CNC machines for a living and I know that all is required to do that is a simple program change.

I am just too cheap to buy gas checks for revolver boolits.

Bill

They won't. Gotta be 25 of each. I went through that with the .25-20 project.

I got one of the six hole C359-180-RF and could not ask for better. You won't go wrong simply having that re-run.

Willbird
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Jeff,

I think Veral is on the money, BUT I desire to shoot a LOT of boolits, using gas checks reduces the number of ctg. I can load for my fixed supply of $$....so I will work without them for most purposes in pistolas...and Veral does recognise guys like me and says to use a beval base so that the actual heel of the boolit is not affected by the sprueplate not being perfectly flat onto the top of the mold.

Veral gives quite a lecture in his book on why nose pour molds while they may make more perfect bases leave voids in the nose then that cause worse accuracy than a slightly out of square base. I also recognise however that Verals method of mfg. may not especially lend itself to nose pour designs.

the upper velocity limit Veral quotes in revolvers is 1400fps for plain base, I can work with that hehe.

Bill

jeff223
04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
leftoverdj,you are one of the reasons why i want one of these molds.you along with some of the others have good luck with this bullit.i want one of these molds too.i will need some casting help once i get a mold.i am thinking i will get a Lee resizing die once i get my barrel slugged.my smith can do that for me.i hear the Lee lubes are good too.

i will need some help and direction once this game starts

Maven
04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Jeff, That design is a dead-ringer for the droppings of my LBT mold. It is also very accurate out of 2 .357mag. revolvers that I own. ...Maven

jeff223
04-14-2005, 10:51 PM
so to do this mold run we will need 25 people that want a mold?right?should i try to round up some others to go along with this mold?maybe over at AR or Graybeards or at handloads.com i could get some people that would want a mold.what do you all think?

i never did any thing like this before.do i just take charge or does someone else from the forum do that?

Hardcast
04-14-2005, 11:16 PM
so to do this mold run we will need 25 people that want a mold?right?should i try to round up some others to go along with this mold?maybe over at AR or Graybeards or at handloads.com i could get some people that would want a mold.what do you all think?

i never did any thing like this before.do i just take charge or does someone else from the forum do that?

If I understand the situation correctly, The "25" number is the minimum molds required to waive the $100.00 set up fee. You can order just one mold if you want, but it will cost the $50.00 for a 6 cavity mold, plus $100.00 set up fee. We try to get a 25 mold order to minimize the cost. If you could only get 10 buyers for a design, then you could split the setup fee and still get the molds for $60.00 each plus shipping.

jeff223
04-14-2005, 11:39 PM
YES this is what i am saying

ShooterJK
04-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I am definitely interested in getting one of these molds.

TCLouis
04-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Jeff, That design is a dead-ringer for the droppings of my LBT mold. It is also very accurate out of 2 .357mag. revolvers that I own. ...Maven

What loading data for this bullet in your revolvers?

TCLouis
04-15-2005, 09:13 PM

What loading data for this bullet in your revolvers?

LouisB

Oldfeller
04-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah !! Another .357 river boat pulls into the dock finally ...... gas check version for me, please, any weight 180-200-210 is fine.

You need to go ahead & start collecting the actual checks, you already have enough "interest shown" to build up to a 25 buy after collecting checks for a little bit.

Adding a band to it and doing it as a 200-210 grainer would be "different" than any slug done before and you would collect a few of the first timer mold run buyers going back through again this time as well.

A "heavier bullet" of this curved meplat format would suit rifle shooters a wee little tiny bit better as it would have a better BC while the folks who shoot the big .357 pissolas would get even more recoil / hunting / killing bragging rights if they bought the new mold as a big brother to the one they already have. They can certainly then claim to be more efficent than .44 caliber folks who are slinging 200 grain .429 squatties at their deer -- and this is an important point to the .357 hunter who is otherwise poo-poo by them egotistical .44 people (who have to go way down in bullet weight to get decent .357 impact speeds out of their guns).

I'd keep a long gas check shank on it as the leading issues in rifles are moderated a tiny bit by more scraping storeage capacity up ahead of the gas check scraping edge.

The collectors among us (and yes, there are some who have bought EVERY ONE of the custom built molds !!!) would then HAVE to buy them a new one as well or their mold collection simply won't be complete ..... (hee hee).

I'm home this weekend, typing on my very own keyboard in between working down the list of honey-do's that have built up.

Kelly

AnthonyB
04-16-2005, 10:55 AM
I have the original 180 gr. mould and would love to have the same design weighing 220 gr. for my 356 Winchester. I'd order a 200 gr. or heavier, and sell my 180 gr. Tony

CENTEX BILL
04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
I would be interested in one of these molds if it was a bullet I could use for my rifle(s) and pistol.

I shoot a 35 Rem, 358 Winc and 357 Marlin Cowboy. I also could use this occasionaly in my Ruger Blackhawks. I would prefer the gas check design.

Would the 180 gr or 200gr be better for the above guns. Since I am novice at this, give me some advice.

Thanks,

Centex Bill

lar45
04-16-2005, 10:55 PM
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bullets/358-180-04.jpg

JohnH
04-17-2005, 12:10 AM
OooooBoy, How soon we gonna hav'ta ante up? I wanted one of these last time and didn't have the dinero, now I've opened my mouth on the 44 cal mold and then this comes up. Hanging around with you guys is gettin' downright 'spensive. Iffn I hadta choose, I'd choose this one, LeftoverDJ sent me a sample and these flat SHOOT from my Maximum Handi Rifle. I plan on stoppin a deer with one this coming season.

Jeff, seems you're a bit more than dancin' around with the idea of castin' and such. Do a few of us need to send you some droplets from the Silver Stream so you can get yourself a real hankerin' going on?

jeff223
04-17-2005, 07:32 AM
a 200gr cast would be just as nice too.im going to be shooting this boolit in a 357max Contender and with that 200gr boolit i would have a heavy hitter.nothing wrong with that.these contenders are a hand rifle not a pistol.thats what i call them,

we better vote on this.
what you all think?180 or 200 mold?

jeff223
04-17-2005, 07:35 AM
that might be a good idea John.i will PM you or leftoverdj over on Graybeards sometime

Buckshot
04-17-2005, 08:24 AM
that might be a good idea John.i will PM you or leftoverdj over on Graybeards sometime

Jeff, you can do a PM here also. Just put your curser on the persons handle to the left of the post and a drop down menu shows up. Select send a PM and there you go. You have a PM site that will also store up to 50 sent and recieved messages for you.

............Buckshot

jeff223
04-17-2005, 09:01 AM
thanks for info.i checked it out.i will just do the PMs here

JohnH
04-17-2005, 09:35 AM
a 200gr cast would be just as nice too.im going to be shooting this boolit in a 357max Contender and with that 200gr boolit i would have a heavy hitter.nothing wrong with that.these contenders are a hand rifle not a pistol.thats what i call them,

we better vote on this.
what you all think?180 or 200 mold?

My vote goes for the 180, three reasons....

First, to change the existing design in any way costs more money.

Second, this bullet shoots, and shoots good for a large group of people.

Third, The 180 will do everything a 200 will do. 20 extra grains of weight ain't make one bounch off and the other a stem to stern penetrator. From pistol cases the 180 is about all that is practical to push, and a 357 in a lever will be limited by it's OAL, so they'll have trouble making use of the heavier bullet anyway. I would think anyone with something like a 35 Rem, 358 Win, or 35 Whelen would be looking for something like a 250 or even heavier bullet, as they have the case volume to actually do something with a true heavy. I've read some awesome velocities for 357 Maximums pushing 200 grainers, but have yet to be able to achieve them. I drive 180's at 2060 from my 22 inch barrel, the best I've done with a 200 has been 1835, when ya run the numbers, the 200 doesn't have enough extra weight to make up for it's velocity loss. I believe the 180 is a better heavy weight for the small cases this bullet is being shot in.

My vote is for leaving things as is and getting an order underway.

Oldfeller
04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Why does changing the design cost more? Just curious ......

Oldfeller

jeff223
04-17-2005, 06:57 PM
John i know the 180gr boolit is the proven one from what all have said about it.the 180gr is fine with me.i think we can get 25 people or more to get these new molds.

LETS DO IT

JohnH
04-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Guess I'm gonna have to sell a barrel, count me in.

tall grass
04-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Jeff223

I'd like to get the 180gr. run again.

Lee should have the drawings and ect. on file from the last run.

Jim

jeff223
04-18-2005, 11:17 AM
im going to call the Lee company today to see what must be done to get the molds.i also want to get a price per mold too.more info later on

Buckshot
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
im going to call the Lee company today to see what must be done to get the molds.i also want to get a price per mold too.more info later on

.............Been there, done that. Couple times So has several others around. The deal:

1) There is a $100 setup charge and you pay retail for the mould up to 24.

2) Do 25 or more, and they waive the $100 fee.

3) You wantum wholesale? You buy 100 moulds and there is no setup and you pay dealer cost for'em.

4) If you request it, Lee will send you a FAQ sheet about what they can and cannot do, re: Boolit mould making. They give the lengths and diameters of boolits that their 1, 2 and 6 cavity blocks can handle.

5) Even though they are more expensive, if your design will fit the 6 cavity blocks, it's a good way to go. The 6 cavs are 10 times the mould of the 1 or 2 cav jobs.

If you call Lee, you will speak to a nice lady who doesn't know anything about cutting moulds, except for the prices which she will read off a piece of paper to you. Or she will suggest that they send you their FAQ sheet.

.............Buckshot

BlueSmoke
04-18-2005, 10:02 PM
:razz: Count me in on this deal.

BlueSmoke

lar45
04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
It doesn't cost anything to change the design. There are folks here who can do the CAD drawing.
You can copy and print the pic that I attached and send it to LEE if you want. Most of the time an email order has worked well for me.
If you pay up front, then LEE gives you a 2% discount.
I would be up for doing another run, but I only have a couple weeks of school left and hope to be an official Engineer soon.
After that I can run more orders if people want.

Cayoot
04-21-2005, 10:19 PM
I've been hoping to find something like this for my little .357, help to alleviate its inferiority complex!

I've never been involved with something like this before...do I need to send you a check now or will you email everybody when you want the money?

Thanks,

jeff223
04-23-2005, 11:08 AM
start sending in the money
lets get thing going please and thankyou

send payment to:

Jeff Bowne
1183 Haynor Rd
Ionia Michigan 48846

make sure you send your full name and address and the name of the forum you are using.i have this mold buy all over the net and if you can help me out with this info it will help me keep things straight.

thank
jeff