PDA

View Full Version : Lee vs. Lyman 120 gr. TC 9mm bullet

Cloudpeak
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm ready to retire my Lee 6 cavity 124 gr RN mold after many thousands of bullets cast. It need a new sprue plate and the top surface of the mold, needs to be milled and I'm tired of messing with it. I'd like to try the 120 gr TC bullet for my 9mm's and the question is, the Lee 6 cavity or the Lyman 4 cavity. Part of the problem with the Lee is I started casting with it before the discovery of Bull Plate Sprue Lube and it's pretty beat up.

From what I've read, both bullets are good bullets, feed well and are accurate. I've cast a lot of bullets with Lee molds but they always seem to need some "futzing". Lee-menting, beagling, etc. I bought a Lyman 452630 and it hit the ground running dropping good bullets, bullets drop free with no smoking and all of the cavities cast the same diameter. I had a Lyman 250 gr. SWC 4 cavity mold for 40 years and it, too, cast great bullets from the get go.

It seems I always have to do some work on the Lee's to get them up to speed. I've had two of the Lee 200 gr SWC 6 cavities that I sold and two 6 cavities that I still own for my 9mm's. The 6 cav. 105gr SWC is the best of the bunch with the cavities all being pretty much the same diameter. But, I did Leement this mold, as well to get the bullet's to drop. The 124 gr Lee dropped undersized bullets until I lapped the cavities.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to buy the 4 cavity Lyman or 6 cavity Lee. If the Lyman drops undersized bullets, can they be "Lee-mented" or would that take too much time since they are steel? I suppose "Beagling" would be the solution with these molds if they cast undersize? I like to size my 9mm's at .3575- .358" as most of my 9's slug .356".

My thoughts are to go with the Lyman. It will be slower casting and twice the price. But, the Lyman should last forever, are better quality, come with a good solid sprue plate and a set screw for the sprue plate pivot screw. I much prefer the locating pins on the Lyman as I get tired of the Lee's pins and bushings working loose, so I think the Lyman would be less frustrating.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your opinions on the choice.

243winxb
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
My thoughts are to go with the Lyman. Good choice.

gasboffer
06-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I've got the Lee 125 TC, Lyman 125 TC, and RCBS 125 TC. RCBS looks best, then Lyman, then Lee, but the Lee shoots more accurately in a Rossi .357 rifle and a TC .357 pistol. All shoot good in a Glock 19. Don't size any of them. All run about .357.
IHMSA70

finishman2000
06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
That TC bullet never shot well for me. The flat nose shots better and is more accurate, for me anyway.

Cloudpeak
06-13-2009, 07:54 PM
and RCBS 125 TC. RCBS looks best,

The RCBS is a two cavity, right? I can't do that. Too Slow. I cast some .38 wadcutters the other day with a Lee two cavity. Life's too short! After getting used to casting with six and four cavity's, I can never go back:-D

kyle623
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd be happy to give that old lee mold a new home:-D

Le Loup Solitaire
06-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I've never used the Lee so can't give an opinion on it. But I once tried the Lyman 356402 and couldn't get it to group reliably; Neither could Dean Grennell who wrote it up as such in one of his ABC's of Reloading Books. I chose and bought the RCBS #09-124 CN....and never looked back. It casts easily at at a sensible .357 with WW so it can be shot unsized, or sized to .356. With a little tin in the melt it can be had as-cast at around .358. It has one grease groove and feeds flawlessly in a Luger, Baretta 92SB and a S&W M952. Grouping is good. It also works well in 38 Special, 357 Mag and as a short range plinker in 35 Whelan. Its an iron two cavity so no rituals are necessary to get it to work. I have had it for 18years and its still working and looking like new. LLS

Windy City Kid
06-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I have the Lyman 356402 in a four cavity. Mine dropped bullets at .356", I lapped all of the cavities to .358" and I size to .3575". I load the bullet to 1.120" OAL, the bullet just touches the throat in my barrel. It is a very accurate bullet in my Springfield XD-9 Tactical.

I tried the "Beagling" the mold for a while, but I wanted a permant solution so I took the time to lap the mold. It did take a lot of time to lap the steel mold, but it was worth.

I have never shot the Lee .356" 120gr. TC, but I hear it is an accurate bullet also.