PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this pistol

wallenba
06-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I built this gun from a kit about 27 years ago, recently I found it boxed in the attic. It seems to need nothing more than a teardown and lube to make it function well. In my state of Michigan, black powder pistols need to be registered in order to be fired, possessing one is ok without, but I thought I might use it. It's a 45 caliber, kit was made in Spain. The manufacturer is stamped on the barrel but is not readable. I think that it was called a Ferry pistol.

mag44uk
06-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Looks like one of the kits Dixie gunworks used to sell.
Maybe Ardesa?
Rgds,
Tony

44man
06-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I have one like it but there are no marks on the pistol. It was made in Spain and might be a CVA.
If you want to have fun, load 80 gr of FFG in it! :mrgreen:

Down South
06-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Looks like one of the kits Dixie gunworks used to sell.
Maybe Ardesa?
Rgds,
Tony

Ah, Dixie Gun Works. I’ve been there a few times. My mom used to sit the guy (can’t think of his name right now) just before he passed that started that business. He was quite a character.

lathesmith
06-13-2009, 11:36 PM
DS,
Are you talking about Turner Kirkland? I used to enjoy reading through the DGW catalogue when I was a kid, just for some of his stories and nostalgia. I distinctly remember a uni-mat type lathe/mill in one of those old catalogues, it cost something like 2 grand in the 70's. Holy Cow! How times have changed! I sure liked looking at those catalogues, though. I couldn't afford much, but I could still dream...
lathesmith

Down South
06-14-2009, 12:06 AM
DS,
Are you talking about Turner Kirkland? I used to enjoy reading through the DGW catalogue when I was a kid, just for some of his stories and nostalgia. I distinctly remember a uni-mat type lathe/mill in one of those old catalogues, it cost something like 2 grand in the 70's. Holy Cow! How times have changed! I sure liked looking at those catalogues, though. I couldn't afford much, but I could still dream...
lathesmith
That's the guy. I just couldn't bring his name to memory for some reason. My mother sat with him for a couple months in his last days. I visited his store on more than one occasion years ago when he was still alive. He had a bunch of old cars in there too.

Springfield
06-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I think that would be a Harper's Ferry pistol.

Lloyd Smale
06-14-2009, 07:06 AM
I live in MI and was told by my local sheriffs dept that my old armys did not need to be registered as black powder guns are considered non guns. There curios and relics. You can even buy them and have them shipped directly to you by mail.

BBA
06-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Blackpowder guns do not need to be registered in MI.

wallenba
06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
I was informed that they did not need to be registered, UNLESS you intended to fire them. Guess I'll have to check into it to be sure. Steppin on big brothers toes could get my toys takin away.