PDA

View Full Version : Loadbooks

Maineboy
06-13-2009, 06:51 AM
I see these for sale on Ebay and other places. Are they worth it? Any cast boolit data? Where does the data come from? I've never bought one but sometimes am tempted. I have Richard Lee's book and it has lots of data on lots of cartridges and I believe it all comes from those free guides the powder companies put out. Are Loadbooks just another source of the same information?

sav300
06-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi Maineboy,I have several load books and always find myself checking with Lee`s and ADI books.Lee have cast for popular calibre and cast load mixed in with jacket loads.
sav300

Flash
06-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I see these for sale on Ebay and other places. Are they worth it? Any cast boolit data? Where does the data come from? I've never bought one but sometimes am tempted. I have Richard Lee's book and it has lots of data on lots of cartridges and I believe it all comes from those free guides the powder companies put out. Are Loadbooks just another source of the same information?

Richard Lee is a benchrest shooter himself and much, if not all of the information in his book is tested by his company, Lee Precision. The company has gone through some great change over the last few decades but their vision hasn't changed. Here is a link to some good information too. http://stevespages.com/index.html
You have to dig deep within the site but there's some damn good information there.
Here is another site for some good reloading data.
http://www.reloadammo.com/

hunter64
06-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Reloading books are great for general reference, max over all length etc. As far as recommended loads I always check the manufacturers web site because that is the latest and up to date info there is. When a book is published it is basically out of date so you have to watch taking advice from a book that is 20 years old. I have 8 reloading books and find info on a 240 gn .44 swc bullet using 2400 powder and the recommended charges differ as much as 4 grn for the max (powders change) from book to book. So I use them as a general guide and always check the website as the final say.

badgeredd
06-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Personally, I'd either go for another reloading manual with many cartridges, or watch fo an older reloading manual to supplement the Lee book. The so-called load books that I've seen are not worth the money as they are for one cartridge and in one firearm. Older manuals often have cartridges that aren't listed in the current books and let's face it, if you're reloading correctly ALL of the information is a guide, no matter how new or old it is. Max loads are to be approached with caution as stated in every reloading manual so variations are a moot point.

Just my thoughts...

Edd

MakeMineA10mm
06-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Reloading books are great for general reference, max over all length etc. As far as recommended loads I always check the manufacturers web site because that is the latest and up to date info there is. When a book is published it is basically out of date so you have to watch taking advice from a book that is 20 years old. I have 8 reloading books and find info on a 240 gn .44 swc bullet using 2400 powder and the recommended charges differ as much as 4 grn for the max (powders change) from book to book. So I use them as a general guide and always check the website as the final say.

This is a very good point, and very good advice.

I'd take it one additional step further and point out that burning rates for the same powder vary somewhat from lot-to-lot. Sometimes a lot; sometimes a little. This is why there is a precautionary statement in all loading manuals that says, each individual reloader is responsible for working up his own loads carefully, after becoming competent at understanding pressure indications and warning signs.

Now, as far as the load books go, they are convenient, but I found the one I bought not comprehensive either. Basically, they photocopy the data for the cartridge out of the five or six loading manuals whose companies have given them permission to do so (in exchange for a page or two of advertisements in the loadbook for each company - usually separating the data inconveniently...). This means there are several/many sources of data not included, and as pointed out by Hunter above, they are usually more out-of-date than the manuals' whose data they list.

I've made my own loadbooks by making up a chart in Word with categories for all of the data, so I can make comparisons from one company to another with the benefit of knowing if one company used a different barrel length, case, or primer than another company. This is easiest in calibers that have less data, like the 444 Marlin. It's nigh-impossible to do one of my load charts for a popular caliber with LOTS of data, like the 9mm or 38 Spl...

MT Gianni
06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
The loadbook for the 356 Win/358 Win was not worth the cost of shipping, IMO.

mdi
06-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I have a Loadbook for 44 Magnum and it is just a compilation of published data from most powder manufacturere and bullet manufacturers as well as Lyman and RCBS cast bullet info. Works great for me. A quick & handy data book.

jameslovesjammie
06-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I have the loadbooks for the .38 and .357. They are just photocopies of the free loading manuals you can get at your gun store. Checking the manufacturers website is most often the quickest and free-est way I find data.

Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester Powders:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Ramshot powders:

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/loadguide/Ramshot%20Load%20Guide%20V4.3.pdf

Accurate:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm

VihtaVuori:

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/disclaimer.php

There you go.

mold maker
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
If you want to have up to 5 manuals open and compare it that way, don't buy a load book I have one for every caliber I load. It's easier to flip pages than have a whole table of books that are trying to close while reading.
When the load book was printed , it used a copy of the latest manuals. Those same manuals are just as out of date as the load books. Do you buy a new copy of every manual, every time they come out?

WILCO
06-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I've never come across a load book or manual that I didn't like.
You can never have too much information. :coffee: