PDA

View Full Version : Erik at Hollowpoint Molds is tops!

geargnasher
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks to all here putting in the good word for Erik Ohlen and his hollowpointing service, I bought some used mould blocks from him this week and have to say it was one of the best buying experiences I have had. We emailed back and forth a bit and I guess he either never sleeps or doesn't believe in time off, always got almost immediate responses, and he even called me when he discovered a problem with the mould I ordered just before shipping. Someone else might have just shipped it and not said anything, hoping I wouldn't complain, but not Erik. He believes in 100% customer satisfaction and practially gave me the damaged mould saying it was no good to him even though one cavity of the two was still good enough to use. Needless to say, I inquired about and bought more stuff from him while we were on the phone. I will definitely do business with him again.

Gear

dk17hmr
06-13-2009, 02:10 AM
What more could you ask for.

hunter64
06-13-2009, 09:10 AM
What more could you ask for.

Shipping out of the USA is what you can ask for.

Willbird
06-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Shipping out of the USA is what you can ask for.

That would be a BIG sticking point for a bullet mold mfg. It could require them to pay ITAR.

Bill

Ben
06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Erik has HP'd many mold for me, you're right, he is a real gentleman and a real professional in his trade.

Ben

Glen
06-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Erik has done a handful of moulds for me, and the work on each one is first rate. Not only is he a first-rate professional in his dealings with customers, but I have had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with Erik, and he is a first-rate gentleman as well.

DanWalker
06-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I'll add to the chorus.
I sent Eric a Lyman 454424 mould for a 2 cavity cramer HP conversion.
I got it back last week and it works flawlessly.
Workmanship is top notch and I couldn't be happier!

hunter64
06-13-2009, 10:46 AM
That would be a BIG sticking point for a bullet mold mfg. It could require them to pay ITAR.

Bill

He is not making bullets, he is modifying molds and doesn't need any special permits. Just needs to fill out a small customs sticker that takes about 20 seconds but I guess that is asking to much. He does excellent work and I have sent things to him and he has sent them to my cousin in Arizona and then he mails them to me. Much cheaper and easier to just get Buckshot to do it and the quality is the same if not better.

cbrick
06-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I also have had several moulds modified by Erik. Not only was workmanship top notch with a really quick turn around time but I received several emails after he shipped the moulds back inquiring if I was happy and everything was as I requested.

Erik now has the CNC machine to open up ALL of the driving bands of a mould as opposed to just the base band. If you have a mould that casts .4294" and your throats are .4305" and the bore is .4310" (like my SBH) having the driving bands opened to cast round cavities at .432" could well be your answer. I have a few more moulds that Erik will soon get for this very purpose.

EDIT: Here's a picture from Erik's web site, notice the three driving bands,

http://www.lasc.us/RecutBandsLyman225462-9.jpg
This 22 caliber Lyman was opened up to cast .225" diameter.

You can find Erik here . . .

Hollow Point Mold Service, Erik Ohlen (http://www.hollowpointmold.com/)

Rick

putteral
06-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Just sent my Lyman DC 147gr 9mm FP mold to him on the 10th to get one cavity HP. Can't wait till I get it back.

fredj338
06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
He is not making bullets, he is modifying molds and doesn't need any special permits. Just needs to fill out a small customs sticker that takes about 20 seconds but I guess that is asking to much. He does excellent work and I have sent things to him and he has sent them to my cousin in Arizona and then he mails them to me. Much cheaper and easier to just get Buckshot to do it and the quality is the same if not better.

Look, some people just don't want the hassle of dealing w/ cross border shipments & any attention it may bring to them, I don't blame him for not wanting to ship to Canada or anywhere outside the US. You shouldn't try belittling him for you not living in the USA.:roll: BEsides, if you ever had to deal w/ the USPS here, nothing takes 20sec.:violin:
Erik does first rate work @ an unbelievabley fair price. He's done three molds for me now & an extra pin for my Dev. mold that really makes it work.