View Full Version : Big Brother is Watching your Sheep

floodgate
03-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Those of you with livestock, check this out:

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/index.shtml

floodgate

Scrounger
03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Big Brother or a certain AF Retiree from Texas? Might be he has a part time job but most likely just some scam he's cooked up to get into farmer's sheep pens without catching a load of birdshot....

Shepherd2
03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
We had to enroll in the "Volunteer" Scrapie Program about 5 years ago so we could use semen imported from the UK to artificially insemeninate some of our sheep. The big brother from USDA pays us a yearly visit to check our sheep's health and our records. We have to account for every sheep over 1 year of age. They look at the USDA ear tag on each animal. Last year I forgot to note that one ram had been sold and a couple days after the inspection BB called about the missing sheep. This NAIS program will most likely call for another ear tag. We already have our own flock eartag and the USDA eartag. I'm running out of ears to tag.

My real problem will be tagging the cattle. I usually have less than 20 so I don't have much in the way of cattle handling facilities. I'll probably have to run them over to the neighbors and use his. I want that 2000 lb bull to be very secure when he gets tagged.

Scrounger - Warn that guy if he comes sneaking around my sheep pens some of those big white critters in there have fangs.

redneckdan
03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I want that 2000 lb bull to be very secure when he gets tagged.

aw, come on....wheres yer sense of adventure?