PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else seeing things loosening up??

remy3424
06-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I can find 22 rimfire ammo and some 45, 40 and 9mm in the Walmarts now and just got 1800 primers to easy my "primer anxiety" this week. The shelves at Scheels had a few hundred boxes of the popular "cheap" American Eagle ammo and looked like powder was available, but didn't really check on it. Although my local gun shop still can't get a rifle primer and is iffy on powders, he is getting some hand gun ammo in now. Is anyone else seeing supply coming back???

Rockchucker
06-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I have also here in the Pandhanle of Florida. Primers come and go pretty quick though, powder don't sit around long either. I'e got a pretty good inventory for now and hope I can keep it. If I would just stop shooting and loading ammo, supplies wouldn't be a problem.

Thin Man
06-12-2009, 03:42 PM
We are starting to see powder, primers and ammo in East TN. One local shop is starting to worry that the market is close to being saturated with AR-type rifles and .223 ammo, as his stock is not moving like before.

fastgun
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Rockchucker if you stop shooting let me know, I will take your supplies.

AZ-Stew
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Check my thread in the Shooters.com section of this forum, titled, "Powders in stock..."

Midsouth shooter's Supply has some powders.

Regards,

Stew

357maximum
06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
My local (somewhat) supplier called me yesterday and told me my 4k small pistole primers were ready for pickup. They had an order of 50k magtech sp primers come in first thing in the morning..at 2pm they were gone. They filled their list of requests first...and then there were only 3 k left when we got there that were unclaimed....[smilie=1:the guy that went with me to the shop bought 2k of these:twisted:. The remaining 1k was opened at the shop to sell 100 at a time. $35/K was the price and seeing as how I was below 2k in asst sp primers I bought them and was pleased to do so.

When I told the lady what I had at home in rem 7.5 sr primers she offered to buy them from me @ $50/K...she did not get a bite...that is thee primer for my max. I sure am glad I stocked up on them critters over the past few years. whew:-D

There is no primer shortage if you are prepared enough to wait it out.

inuhbad
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
My local suppliers have a LITTLE bit of powder coming in, but not much, and certainly nothing over 4# jugs!

Primers are still nearly non-existent! :(

Rockchucker
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Rockchucker if you stop shooting let me know, I will take your supplies.

Supplies are like gold and silver, up and down every day of the week.

Stop reloading...what chew talking bout Willis.:Fire:

jameslovesjammie
06-12-2009, 05:18 PM
They're trickling in here too. Walmart had a bunch of CCI .22's in stock, but nothing cheap. Sportsman's Loft had an ad on the radio saying they got a shipment of ammo in, it was all gone by the time I got there in the afternoon. Scheels has a good supply of .223 and .40 in stock. Most rifle calibers are in decent stock, but pistol and .22's are still going out the door as fast as they come in.

Rick N Bama
06-12-2009, 05:22 PM
We are starting to see powder, primers and ammo in East TN. One local shop is starting to worry that the market is close to being saturated with AR-type rifles and .223 ammo, as his stock is not moving like before.

Where in East TN? On Wednesday of this week, I was in Benton Shooters Supply (Benton TN) & the shelves were stocked with plenty of primers & other compontents except for Small Rifle Primers. The prices were way up over what I paid a few months ago, but if you had the scratch, they had the stuff to sell. The gun shelves seemed to be well stocked as well & my darling wife "allowed" me to walk out with a NIB Savage M93 in 17HMR, God bless her!

Rick

jleneave
06-12-2009, 05:24 PM
I am still unable to find .22lr ammo at the Walmarts in my area, 4 different stores, and none of them can tell me when to expect any. As for primers there are none to be found locally. I stumbled on 900 LP primers a week ago and snatched them up and that was all the primers the store had, other than shotgun primers. The store has started regulating the primers to 1000 per person. So to answer your question......no, I haven't seen any let up around here in south central Kentucky!

Take Care,

Jody

Rick N Bama
06-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I am still unable to find .22lr ammo at the Walmarts in my area, 4 different stores, and none of them can tell me when to expect any. As for primers there are none to be found locally. I stumbled on 900 LP primers a week ago and snatched them up and that was all the primers the store had, other than shotgun primers. The store has started regulating the primers to 1000 per person. So to answer your question......no, I haven't seen any let up around here in south central Kentucky!

Take Care,

Jody

No primers here in N. Alabama either but the Wal-Marts do have some 22s in stock, mostly CCI Stingers & the Winchester 333 Value Packs. My local store hasn't even had any shotgun primers lately.

Rick

wallenba
06-12-2009, 06:47 PM
The store shelves hear in S.E. Michigan are still bare, the gun shops are keeping primers in the back room and rationing them to their good customers (I'm lucky to be one). I did recently order and recieve 500 44 spl. an 500 45 ACP cases from Starline in less than a week. Powder is trickling in, except for Hodgdon, which I am ok on except HP-38. My local dealer bought a load of old LP primers from an estate sale that were stored in a dank basement. I'm going to load ten this weekend to try out (don't want to pull too many if they are duds). That's what it's like here.

wallenba
06-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Google Sinclair International, they manufacture most of the primer components. They have an explanation of what is going on......sort of.

remy3424
06-12-2009, 07:01 PM
The Walmart gets the bulk Federal or Winchester 22s in every week or 2 it seems. The Scheels store must have just received a huge ammo order, they also have all different 22 rimfires, the cabinet was FULL!!! The Rem 7 1/2s were $3.49/100 and the CCI SR & Win LP were $29.99, better pricing than the few I saw a gun shows a month ago.

wallenba
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
What the prez of Sinclair sez.....
http://.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1165731

wallenba
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
HMMM...link ain't workin from here.

jack19512
06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
So to answer your question......no, I haven't seen any let up around here in south central Kentucky!

Same here in eastern Kentucky. :(

NHlever
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I was at a couple of gun stores yesterday, one in NH, and one in Maine, both pretty large places. The one in NH has some powder, but very few primers. They had six pounds of Unique when I walked in. I took a walk around the store, and went to pick some up, and it was gone already. I do see AR's, and Mini-14's in stock now, and both places had .223, and .45 ammo. I'm not sure about the 9mm. I do expect that it will let up in the next couple of months, or so.

whisler
06-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Just picked up a 100 pack of .380 at local Wallyworld. The had 2 boxes on the shelf. Not cheap but better than nothing.

snaggdit
06-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Tried Gander in Duluth, MN today for primers. Asked the guy for SP or LP and he chuckled and said no. I was only stopping for that so didn't check on other inventory.

peterthevet
06-13-2009, 05:32 AM
My local gunshop in Australia has a huge number of primers on order....................he told me last week that his supplier said NO primers till next year!!! A quick ring around to stores that cater for reloaders revealed the same situation - few in stock and a long long wait till more arrive!! Lucky I have a few stashed away!!

Terrier
06-13-2009, 05:40 AM
My local supplier is getting small shippments of primers every month. I admire him for placing limits on quantities for people he does not know so they don't go to horders or resellers. His last shippment was so small he was only selling 500 at a time. His powder supply has some holes in it but with what he has you should be able to keep shooting.
Terrier

randyrat
06-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Tried Gander in Duluth, MN today for primers. Asked the guy for SP or LP and he chuckled and said no. I was only stopping for that so didn't check on other inventory. Did you find 223 Gas checks in Superior?

uncle joe
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
HMMM...link ain't workin from here.

left out the www

snaggdit
06-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Did you find 223 Gas checks in Superior?

Was with the wife and kids and wanted to get home to get out fishing last night. After a stop at Kohls, Gander was right around the corner so I ran in quick. I will have to make a trip on my own soon. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I forget about them up there, so used to having to go to Eau Claire or over the hill in Duluth.

j23
06-15-2009, 05:36 AM
...in the Northern tip of WV. All of my local shops are still low on powder/nada on primers.

Walmart however, I did notice like two days ago had several boxes of Winchester White box 9mm and 45. ...and several boxes of the Federal brick pack .22. I think the folks around here are just flat running out of money to keep buying and buying; or the fad is wearing off.

I have noticed, however that our local rifle range (the only one in like 50 miles...) has been pretty much devoid of brass. So no one is really shooting it up like they used too.

lawboy
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Supplies are like gold and silver, up and down every day of the week.

Stop reloading...what chew talking bout Willis.:Fire:

I have no idea what supplies are locally. Don't really care. I have been shooting 1,000 of centerfire a month for a looong time and see no reason to stop now! What, folks are running out of primers? Blasphemy!

And that is what chew TALKIN bout, Willis?! :-D

standles
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM

I have noticed, however that our local rifle range (the only one in like 50 miles...) has been pretty much devoid of brass. So no one is really shooting it up like they used too.

Or as in the case of ours they are also now picking their own brass and not letting it lay. We even have folks scarfing the .22 brass.

It is ironic that we for years have asked folks to police their brass and workdays usually had the "pick up spent brass" routine. Not anymore.

\

ddeaton
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Cincy gun show Sunday had primers, all flavors, $50 per K. There have not been any for any price the past 4 months. AR15 stuff looks like it is saturated now. I bet every table had 2 or 3 brands of 30 round mags. Tons of uppers and lowers.

Shiloh
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
There has been once fired 9mm and .40 S&W brass at the range. I have seen it for about 3 weeks now. It is coming from vendors somewhere. One fellow had a new 550 pak of Federal .22 L.R. said he got it at Wal-Mart.

Not an issue for me though, I shoot cast boolits!! I would like to replace the primers though.

Shiloh

SciFiJim
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Sellier and Bellot Small Rifle Primers - 1000 $33.60

Get'm while their hot HERE (http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/12737/Small-Rifle-Primers)

JIMinPHX
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
3 local shops are starting to have powder on their shelves again. Also, Powder Valley seems to be having more available lately. .223 ammo has become plentiful, but the prices are still $10 & up for a box of 20. AK ammo is also more available at around $7 for steel case. Boxes of pistol ammo are still few & far between. Primers for pistol & rifle are still little-more than a rumor around here.

snaggdit
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Looked at the local Walmart a few minutes ago. They had a few boxes of .25, a couple 7.62 and lots of 30-30?!?. Still no end in site around here.

dogfood
06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
SciFiJim pointed out that Sinclair International is showing S&B small rifle primers in stock. They're also showing S&B large rifle primers in stock (at least at this moment ) for a few bucks more.

On a different note, Powder Valley is now allowing back orders on some - but not all - primers. This leads me to believe they have been receiving a steady supply ... and expect it to continue.

dogfood

markshere2
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Lotsa 9mm and a little .40 S&W at a wally world in western PA.
Price is twice what it was in December

Zero primers as far as the eye can see.

inuhbad
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Still no dice on local primer availability. :(

MtGun44
06-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Gun show Sat had primers at $45/1000, lots of ammo, some reasonable. One of our area
large ammo guys had .380 Prvi at $22/50 which blew away all the guy with 2 boxes of
.380 asking $40/box !!!! Some powder, mostly $25-30 / lb but it was available. .22LR for
$25-45 per brick still is a bit pricey for me. I keep enough of pretty much everything on
hand but am running out of H4831SC for my K31, so switching to 4064 which I have a lot
more of in stock.

ARs and AKs available in quantity, not cheap, not insane tho. I spoke with one of the owners of CMMG, they
are busting butt and starting to catch up a little but still a lot of backordered stuff.

Leadforbrains
06-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Sellier and Bellot Small Rifle Primers - 1000 $33.60

Get'm while their hot HERE (http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/12737/Small-Rifle-Primers)

22.00 for hazmat shipping? Ouch

armyrat1970
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Ain't visiting any gunshows until this dies down a little. Tried my local WallyWorld this past Sunday. Not much but some 22lr. and other various Winchester White box that I won't pay the price for. Plenty shotgun and some rifle calibers. I was looking for 45 and the guy told me they had just gotten some in but were already sold out. Haven't tried any local shops in a couple of weeks for primers as the last time I called they said they have no idea when they would get some in. I am okay for now and will just wait a little before I make another effort to buy but will check ammo at WallyWorld everytime I go in there.

inuhbad
06-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Alright!!!

I have a GREAT MOM! :)

Tomorrow is my birthday, and just this afternoon I got a phone call from my Mom! She was out shopping for a birthday present to buy me so she swung into Scheel's Sporting Goods store in Mankato MN, and headed into the gun department. After a while she remembered me ragging on about how nobody has any primers in stock!

SO, she talked with one of the guys there, and called me up to confirm it - They had FOUR 1000count boxes of Large Pistol Primers in stock at their store! :)

She said making sure she was getting the right thing was worth spoiling the surprise for my birthday present!

The kid at the store would only let her buy TWO of the four boxes, but 2000 primers is a great birthday present!

SO, that's the FIRST time I've seen primers in stock in the past ~3 months or so! The last place I found that had primers in stock was selling them 500 primers per person, and they only had ~2000 primers in stock at the time. SO, I'm now a little 'richer' in primers!

I don't think this is a sign of things 'lossening up', but it's certainly a start!

Edited to add: While I was typing this, I got an Email from MidwayUSA stating they had some primers in stock!!! I went to the website, added some to my shopping cart, and just as I was about to click 'Check Out', I clicked to update my order total to reflect the shipping fees!

POOF they were GONE!!! Midway USA sold out of primers within 5 minutes! Probably closer to within THREE MINUTES!!! :(

Daaaaayum those went FAST!

JIMinPHX
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse got in some 9mm, 40, 45, & 44 ammo today but no primers. They got three different brands of 9mm. UMC was the cheapest at around $12 or $13/box. The others were a few bucks higher. The 44 & 45 ammo was real expensive.

OBXPilgrim
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Stopped by the local Dick's SG store tonight & they looked like one of the major hoarders of the year. They had 9mm/40SW/45ACP/44M/45LC/223/22-250/7.62x39/30-30/30-06/7mmMag/45-70 ammo in stock, cheaper than the last gun show prices. UMC223 was $9.98 a box of 20. No 380Auto.

They even had one of the new Remington 308 AR's in full camo ($1300), along with dozens of new long guns.

Shouldn't be long before primers start showing.

looseprojectile
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
In the last few days I have bought 50 comercial reloaded 7.62X51 for ten bucks.
I also bought 240 rounds of 5.56X 45 for 60 bucks.[2008 LC ball].
Today was with the woman in Mall Wart, she was buying flower plants, and saw the value packs of Winchester 9mm for $19.97. I didn't know if this was a decent price so I only got one box of a hundred.
I have had a problem with my reloads shooting poorly in the new 9mm upper on the AR 15 and needed enough ammo for it to see if it might be the reloads.
Now I can fill all three mags once.
All of the usual suppliers are very slim on stock for reloading. Primers are non existant. I have a friend bringing me a thousand large pistol magnum primers from Idaho cause there are none to be had here in Washington.
I've never experienced shortages such as we are having now. I sure hope o-whats his name has a plan to get the components flowing again.[smilie=1:
Good luck to you all.
Life is good

jack19512
06-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I sure hope o-whats his name has a plan to get the components flowing again.[smilie=1:

I'm sure this is weighing heavily on his mind. I'll shoot him an e-mail and tell him to get on this pronto! :p

cheese1566
06-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Just came from Cabelas in Rapid City SD. They had well stocked powder cabinet, except not many rifle powders. I was able to get 2 pounds of Win 231, a pound of 760, and one of HP-38. All were priced normal. Cabelas was havig their Hometown Heroes Promotion the next three days. I was able to get a 10%-15% discount on them varying on the type. Win 231 was $18.10, HP38 was $17.00 and 760 was $19.99 (no discount on this one).

I didn't get greedy and left some to go around!!

No primers though.

geargnasher
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
My local gun shop is still getting 2-3k oddball primers every week and had 2 flavors of Remington .22 ammo in bricks today, first time bricks have been available since before Christmas. I don't know why, but they have a FULL stock of Hodgdon powers and some Alliant, but still backordered on 28 calibers of hangun ammo and 6 calibers of rifle ammo. 1-per day rations on everything.

I would say the market has simmered down a bit and we can see somewhat more clearly what is available here.

Gear

Freebore
06-19-2009, 12:21 AM
My local WalMart has been pretty bare since November. Lot's of shotgun shells, a couple of boxes of .32 and .40 auto, and a smattering of centerfire rifle cartridges. That's Ok because I have never relied on WalMart for ammo, but it was nice to have the option though.

Rico1950
06-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Bought a brick of WLP primers at the show last Saturday in Valley Forge. They were $31.00.
Today I found a SG Store that had CCI LP primers @ $33.90/ 1000. Bought two.
Could be loosening up.

jleneave
06-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Went to one of my local Walmarts last night and they still had absolutely zero .22lr ammo, much less the 550 value packs. There was one box of .44 Mag(Winchester white box) and that was the only handgun ammo they had. Plenty of target/dove load shotgun shells. They did have a couple boxes of .270 and 30-06 rifle rounds but that was pretty much it!! I was at a large gun shot a few days ago and there was an over abundance of AR-15 style rifles from various makers. There were even a few Colt LE4 rifles new in the box!!

Take care,

Jody

soldierbilly1
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Did you all see the article in this month's Rifleman? the primer situation looks bad, the mfrs wont buy equipment or hire folks as the situation might change, or due to some 'future legislative action.' Hey, I think the Prez has been whispering in someone's ear, just like he did to the banks and the auto guys.
End of this year? shoot, I will take up air rifle! Better times ahead
What is Obongo going to do for the 2nd term? thank God, he's savin' the planet!
billy

NHlever
06-19-2009, 09:27 PM
One of my normal reloading supply gun shops had a pretty good assortment of CCI standard primers available today. They had small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, and large rifle. Limit 1K of each type. Their powder shelves also looked as full as I have seen them in quite some time. I guess there is hope. Primers were $35/K.

lylejb
06-20-2009, 02:24 AM
in Portland, OR there's a former sportsman's warehouse (store's exactly as it was, someone just changed the sign out front) they had most powders from IMR, Win, hodgon, and alliant in.....except for bullseye. about 2 cans of VV. all 1lb cans i think, no larger yet. i was impressed that's the most powder i've seen one place in a long time.

Zero primers, of course.

the brass isle looked more like home depot.....lots of bare wood. they has 20 primed brass for .50BMG and one bag of .243 win super short fat mag ( or something like that ..wasn't interested)

no 22's other than blanks

actually, i've been doing better at the local BI-Mart. it's a small chain of discount variaty stores. has anything from canned goods to lawn mowers, to pharmacy to a smaller but decent sporting goods dept.
they got in about 30k primers last week, but are limiting to 400 per size. i got my 400 each of the two sizes i needed most. the rest were gone in 3 days.
they had a can of trail boss, which was what i've been looking for, last night. it was the last can of powder they had.
they did get about a dozen cans of powder at the same time as the primers, but nothing i needed. adding this all up, BI-mart has had at least 2 small shipments of powder in 2 weeks. and a shipment of RCBS equipment. i'd call that an improvment.

but still no 22's.....:neutral:

vonnieglen
06-20-2009, 02:53 AM
My feeling is that things are starting to loosen up a little. The primers I back-ordered from Cabellas in April have mostly all showed up now. I have been getting more frequent email notices from MidwayUSA telling me things are in stock, but like someone else mentioned they dissapear again pretty quickly in many cases. I think the panick buyers have mostly picked up what they wanted by now, and people who bought on speculation are starting to unload their excess primers before the price drops too much further. The prices primers are going for on gunbroker seem to have come down significantly.