PDA

View Full Version : Glock says no Lead bullets

tackstrp
06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I was reading the Glock Q&A and one of the questions was"Can I use lead bullets?" The answers was "no, because the poloy something groove will hold the bullet tightly as it goes down the barrel, and will cause sever leading", then they went on to say that the lead bullet will get shaved as it enters the rifling, causing a lead build up and loading malfunctions"

Does any one shoot cast bullets in a Glock. 9MM or even 10MM? Would really like to buy a Glock but will not if can't use cast bullets without headaches.

thanks

ddeaton
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855
Just get a aftermarket barrel and enjoy. I have one in my 45 and 9mm
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

BobinIL
06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I think you can buy replacement barrels that are ok for lead.

tackstrp
06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
thanks. good advice

thanks again

trickyasafox
06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
ah. . .this debate rivals 9mm v 45acp, or AK v AR on some forums. Lots of good info in that thread posted above.

abbreviated version: some shoot lead in stock glocks, some shoot lead in glocks with replacement barrels, and some don't shoot lead in glocks.

exile
06-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I won't get into the debate except to say that I really like my Storm Lake aftermarket barrel. A glock and an aftermarket barrel is usually cheaper than another brand with no replacement barrel.

tackstrp
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
been looking at glockmeister url. looks like choices avaiable.

fredj338
06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I fired some 3000 124grLTC thrugh my G17 w/ stock bbl. before I got worried & bought an LoneWolf bbl fo rshooting lead. If you cast hard enough, clean often enough, like every 100rds, you can do it w/o blowing yourself up, but Lead tends to smear in polygon rifling & pressure go up quickly.

tackstrp
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
thanks fred. i will remember, seems best think to do is buy a aftermarket barrel. and more or less retire te ogirnal. Will be shooting very few jacketed bullets.

06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I've run about 200 rounds of home cast 155g round nose(6.9g Unique) through my Gloc 20c. I do clean after each outing. I am paying close attention to this due to all the chatter out there. NO leading problem in the stock barrel.

jonk
06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
That's why I don't own a CZ 82... Polyagonal rifling

tackstrp
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
i try not to buy things that i cant spell:)

thanks for the informatin guys.. now if i could find a picture of the glockmieister scope mount, i would be a happy camper. Eye sight so bad i need the red dot scopes.

sheepdog
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855
Just get a aftermarket barrel and enjoy. I have one in my 45 and 9mm
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

Or just buy a real gun :P :kidding:

If you're religious about cleaning every box the factory barrel will work fine.

ddeaton
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
If you buy a 40 caliber then you can buy aftermarket barrels in 40, 9mm, and 357 Sig. All 3 in one pistol![smilie=w:

ddeaton
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Or just buy a real gun :P :kidding:

If you're religious about cleaning every box the factory barrel will work fine.

Real guns dont use primers! We use creek rocks for ignition. Sorry, didnt mean to get off topic. [smilie=l:

truckmsl
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I use a Lone Wolf barrel in my glock .40. Another bonus with an after-market barrel like the Lone Wolf is that they're a lot easier on the brass due to the tighter chamber - No more bulged brass. I have thousands of rounds through mine with no problems. Since I cast my boolits at .402, I had Lone Wolf open the throat a tad, which they did for free and with great service.

sleeper1428
06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
I shot lead through both my Glock 20 (10mm) and Glock 22 (40S&W) for almost 20 years before I had someone tell me that 'you can't shoot lead in a Glock'. Gosh, I wish I'd known that before I put several thousand rounds through each of those pistols! Maybe it was the fact that I cleaned the barrel after each session or after each 200 rounds, whichever came first, or maybe I was just lucky (which I doubt) but so far I haven't the slightest bit of leading in either barrel.

Having said this, I will admit that several months ago I purchased Lone Wolf barrels for each of those pistols. Don't know whether it was the fact that so many people are claiming to have problems with stock Glock barrels and lead or whether it was just the fact that maybe I'm getting worried that my good luck to this point might run out. Anyway, now I've had to purchase new brass for each of those calibers since a good portion of my used brass, fired in the rather generous Glock chambers, simply will not resize (especially near the base of the case) sufficiently to easily chamber in the LW barrels. Ah well, I needed something to do so I guess I'd better not complain too much. I have use a gutted Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die as a push-through case sizer for some of the 40S&W but the new stuff eliminates a lot of work!

Oh, by the way, I've also run into the same problem with my new Para Ordnance 745 SGR which, with it's match barrel and tight chamber, is pretty picky about case sizing which means each and every case and loaded cartridge has to be checked in a case gauge to be sure it will fit the Para's chamber. But it's worth the trouble to get a smooth functioning and reliable firearm.

sleeper1428