PDA

View Full Version : Security Systems

LAH
06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Anyone use APX????? Commits????????

Terrier
06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
My first line securty system is ITX2. That is - Irish Terrier times two. They are very inexpensive, do not depend upon electricity or the phone lines and there is no montyly bill.
Terrier

bruce drake
06-11-2009, 06:43 PM
does 45ACP count?

softpoint
06-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I use ADT, 2000lb safe, teargas bombs, 6lb. Chihuahua, Rem. 870, Farm Bureau insurance.
I was hit once, doing everything I can to keep it from happening again.[smilie=2:

Bret4207
06-12-2009, 06:55 AM
From a police perspective ADT is a joke. Make sure they have EXACT directions from major intersections to your house and have them read it back to you. I've been sent to a number of non-existent addresses by ADT. Keep the service up on the system too. Make sure you have someone reliable and close by to respond if you are away. And be prepared for lots of false alarms inn lightening season.

cajun shooter
06-12-2009, 07:46 AM
+1 on the false alarms. We have a local ordnance that you pay a fine after 3 false alarms. It takes the cops who are responding away from other "REAL" CALLS and puts the public in harm's way if a code 3 call.

Lee
06-12-2009, 02:52 PM
softpoint, where did ya get your teargas bombs?? I'm puttin' the finishing touches on my installation, and want to do that as a final parting gift to any interloper who makes it thru the rest of the maze......

BD
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
ADT are the "mall cops" of the security biz.

"Real" security systems are connected directly to a monitoring office with experience cooperating with the local PD, as well as to the PD, FD and client. The local PD is invited in to see the setup and situation at the get go, as well as introductions to the clients and on site security crew if there is one. A pretty basic system install in new construction runs a little under $1/ sq ft of living space with monitoring about $100 to $150 a month, and the clients who use them are folks who own the kind of things that attract professional burglars.

These systems can get really involved if the client wants to go that way. I've seen systems put in that allow you to access the mechanical systems through the internet to see how much water is in one of the boilers, or which circulation pumps are running at any given moment. There are radiant heat controllers which can tie in as well. If a window is broken and a significant temp drop is detected, they will starve living spaces for heat and put all of the available BTUs into the kitchens and baths to protect the plumbing.

On even a basic high end setup the system will communicate a "trail" of detection for each incident which is typically being evaluated in real time by the monitoring station as they discuss with the dispatcher what the response should be. For instance: a single isolated motion senser alert with no perimeter breech or subequent alert does not warrant the response that a door detection followed by motion sensors on a path through the house would get. The phone in the house rings at the same time the audible alarm goes off. If you don't answer with the password ASAP, you're getting a visit real soon. It may not always be true, (or fair), but in my experience alarms in wealthy neighborhoods get pretty fast response.

On any new install there are always some false alarms until stuff like the AC register blowing the curtains around gets sorted out. We try and get through all of that before the clients are in residence if possible. Then you have the client learning curve for a few days were they set it off by accident. Good communication with the PD is key. There's always the first time the neice shows up with her cat and sets the alarm on her way out to dinner, forgeting about the cat which then walks around while she's gone, doing a good imitation of a burglar. Cat's never answer the phone, and they hide when the audible goes off.

If you're considering a "real" system, ask the PD for references. They know who's good at it locally, and they'll be happier if you use a firm they get along with.

Personally I use the two dogs, and dial 1911 system :)

BD

LAH
06-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Please guys I asked about APX not ADT. The latter is well known. I am well capable of caring for my home while I'm here even though I'm not the big burly hairy type with barrels of autoloaders & pitbulls. I'm a humble preacher of God's Word looking to purchase a security system from a company selling in the area. I was hoping some of you might have done business with them & help us.
http://www.apxalarm.com/
We are in the sorting process of different companies at present.

The system I used at Dry Creek before the move works great but they now have sold. Perhaps I'll ask the sheriff's department since I know & do business with most them.

Thanks guys...............Creeker

softpoint
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
IMHO, It looks like APX is almost like ADT. And I know any of these systems won't stop an attempt at burglarizing. What they will do in 90% of cases is scare off thieves who would otherwise stay and "help themselves" And, they know that someone is going to respond, they don't know whether it will be 2 minutes, or 15. And as far as finding your house, this is the age of GPS. If you have a physical address where you get mail or power at your home, believe me, there is no problem finding your place. NONE. If you have a good safe for your valuables, an alarm system, and if you want, use the pepperspray-teargas bombs. They will insure the perp is still there up to a hour or more if he trips one of them. Some folks cut the water off to thier house after setting the bombs, so even if there are more than one perp, and one escapes the spray, he can't help the other one.
Insure your guns and valuables. That is the last, but sometimes the only way to recover loss.
Yes, there are probably better systems than ADT, they also cost a minimum of 4 times the monthly fee and installation of some of these elaborate systems is EXPENSIVE. If you happen to fall into the category of a person needing or able to afford some of those, then you probably already know more about what you want/need than most folks.
Do a search on Revel Technologies for info on one brand of the burglar bombs.:cbpour::redneck:

Down South
06-17-2009, 04:39 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=947

Get a second one for the car.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=948

testhop
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
one thing i do oon my gun safe i have a danger blackpowder sticker on the safe may not stop them but it makes them think. we have a house alarm also but i dont trust it all that much the two signs it the yards is more of a deterenrt than the alarm .

softpoint
06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Heh...I have a Blackpowder inside sticker on my safe ,too, and I knew a fella that did just that, but he had a very large handmade safe. He had 25lb. keg (the old days) of black inside the safe, and when he was going to be away for a few days he left the lid off the powder. He always said it was "to keep the children away from the powder." A grinder or a torch and somebody'd be wearing a safe door around!:D

BOOM BOOM
06-18-2009, 12:50 AM
hi,
My bother has a system I admire, a real nice Very heavy fireproof safe, 2 trained rottweilers, an electric system , and a 1911.
I am not as well off so a daughter w/ a 45 & 12 gu., a wife w/ a 357, & me w/ a 44 will have to do. Oh yeah I have trained them in gun control HIT WHAT YOU SHOO:Fire:T AT.

LAH
06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
IMHO, It looks like APX is almost like ADT.

About what I thought. BTW, I passed on the system.

Down South............Enjoyed the pictures.