PDA

View Full Version : Time Warped

Calamity Jake
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Anyone watch last nights show on the Learning Chanel?

They did some WWII and modern day helmet testing against a 9MM, other shooting of machine guns and a 50BMG sniper.

Also had man stick his bare wet hand in 700° lead.

And a few other things.

A good show. :)

AlaskaMike
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I missed that one. What in the world were they trying to demonstrate by having a guy stick his hand into a pot of molten lead?!?

Mike

sleeper1428
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I watched that show and all I could think of when that fool stuck his wet hand into that pot of molten lead was that he must be auditioning for a role in the next ******* movie!! And while they repeatedly made it clear that no one ought to attempt this at home, you and I know that human nature being what it is, some other brain dead idiot is going to try this and either splatter himself with molten lead or give himself third degree burns on his hand - if he's lucky enough to actually have a hand after the attempt.

sleeper1428

JSnover
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I saw the lead dipping part. I understood how it worked but it was still a pretty stupid thing to do.

44man
06-11-2009, 04:32 PM
The lead thing is nothing new. A neighbor wanted to bet me a long time ago, 53 years ago or longer, that he could stick his finger in the lead pot. He told me he would just stick his finger in his mouth and plunge it into the lead when I refused to bet him.
No way I would let him show me but to see it actually happen was something.

ronterry
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I've done it with my deep fryer with hot oil to freak my wife out... But Lead -Heck no!
For those including myself who didn't see the show, the steam creates a barrier.

hpdrifter
06-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I've done it with my deep fryer with hot oil to freak my wife out... But Lead -Heck no!
For those including myself who didn't see the show, the steam creates a barrier.

That's peculiar, I was under the impression that steam burned like heck also.

Firebricker
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Thats even worse than the idiot that stuck his tongue in a mouse trap. FB

briang
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Skin is a pour conductor of heat, that's why you can wave your hand though fire and not get burned. Your hand isn't in the fire long enough to get hot, same principle with the steam.

Echo
06-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Back when I was a kid, my chum Dick showed up with his hand bandaged up. Seems some plumbers were working at/near his house, and one of them showed him that he could dunk his hand in & out of a pot of molten lead with no harm. The sweat on his hand cushioned the heat transfer - he just stuck it in and right back out, just a jab into the melt. So Dick tried it - but didn't pull it out in time. No permanent damage...

cajun shooter
06-12-2009, 07:58 AM
We had a State Trooper kill himself from shooting himself in the chest with his brand new body armour on that his wife bought him. I still to this day can't see the reasoning behind such crazy stunts. He sat in his chair and fired his 357 mag point blank into him. Still have the crime scene photos but will not show them. It was a Second Chance vest. I went to a Cop show of the lastest equipment and a Body Armour company there was having one of the owners put on the vest and then receive 5 rounds of factory 9mm ammo dead center of his chest. All the cops in the crowd said pull off your shirt so that we can see the impact marks. I said "DROP YOUR PANTS AND SHOW YOUR FAMILY JEWELS" as they have to be mighty big along with that pea sized brain!!

dragonrider
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Yup I watched, very good program, I damn near s*%t myself when that guy stuck fingers in the lead pot.

ronterry
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Damn Cajun! That's a pretty F'ed up story. I remember seeing this numb nut taking hits with different rifle rounds at point blank with body armor he invented. Lucky for him it worked, but all it would of taken was two rounds in the same spot!
I waiting for his buddy to slip in an AP! It would of sliced through him like I laser beam through butter!

Tom W.
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done, at least not where folks can see the results....