PDA

View Full Version : not exactly cast boolit related, but what would happen if...

par0thead151
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
what would happen if a 7.62X39 round was fired that had a split neck, or rusted through neck?
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5208.jpg
i bought about 1000-1500 7.62X39 bullets that were ranging from somewhat rusty/dirty to a total loss. some are questionable. i picked a few that are extremely questionable.
what would happen if these were shot? naturally if the bullet is severely messed up i will keep it and not shoot it.
would it be dangerous to shoot these that have a slight rusted out part just towards the top of the case neck?
thanks

The Double D
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Be kind of like shooting Sand paper in your bore.

357maximum
06-11-2009, 09:41 AM
What does not kaboom your gun and wreck your gun/eyes/life will likely wash your rifling out.........IRON OXIDE.............ABRASIVE...used on some sandpaper.

Toss them away in a safe manner....IE Bury them in a hole in your back yard so they can finish going to the rusty abiss.

docone31
06-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I remember the scene in Road Warrior where the burned out dude, grabbed some squibbs and made a stand.
I might consider giveing that ammo to someone who likes that sort of stuff.
Changeing out barrels, is an inconvience I do only when I want to try a different caliber.

mroliver77
06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Them thar bullets are ruint. Mebbe save the powder. Possibly the better ones from the batch could be tumbled clean depending on the severity of the corrosion.
Usually neck splits are not a serious problem. If in doubt, even a little, pull and or toss them.
Jay

Blammer
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
kaboom, possibly fragments left it the bore for the next shot an then bad things get worse.

to me; a hundred bullets is not worth one eye

Hardcast416taylor
06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Mroliver77. I have a question for you. Is the few cents that you paid for these "GEMS" worth ruining a rifle, losing your eyesight or fingers or facial lacerations or worse case scenario - death? Take these little babies out back and bury them DEEP! Only trouble will come from trying to salvage any part of them. I doubt the powder is any good either. :holysheep Robert

Hurricane
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Even if you lived through the adventure unharmed, I doubt the accuracy of this ammo would be any good.

SciFiJim
06-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Those look like they were dug up from a field in an old soviet bloc country. They look like the AK school of gun cleaning method was used. Safety says pull them and dispose of the parts. You have to wonder if this type of ammo is what is used by the enthusiastic "Religion of Peace" adherents in the middle east.

Down South
06-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd toss em. You might want to salvage the bullets by pulling them. The rest of it including the powder, I would dispose of.

klutz347
06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
"If" they fires (as the powder is more than likely trash) on the low end you would get a squib lodging the bullet in the bore and having to remove it.

The one on the right, "if" it fires would cause a case rupture and more than likely you would kaboom the gun.

If you paid much more than $10 for the lot I would think you got taken to the cleaners.

I personally wouldn't even take the time to pull the bullets on the "good" ones.

par0thead151
06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
to be fair, i pulled the worst ones i could find when skimming the pile.
i paid 50$, there is easily 1000 rounds that have no rust on the case or bullet. there are maybe 200 questionable ones, and 100-150 that need to be buried. the ones in the photo are the ones that need disposal. i will be taking the bullets and brass to a wire wheel to see how extensive the rust is, and if it goes through the case... if that's the case, off they go to the backyard burial.
i will post pix of the whole lot when i get home. i considered this a good deal as the majority of them can be cleaned and safely fired.

jdgabbard
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
You have to wonder if this type of ammo is what is used by the enthusiastic "Religion of Peace" adherents in the middle east.

Many times they have better guns and equipment then we give them credit for. There for a while in Iraq there were a some of them that were using H&K rifles. So don't underestimate. As far as ammo, most of it is smuggled in, or sold on the black market by the Military and Police. Go figure.

Down South
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I can not see many pictures posted here while on my work computer so I didn’t even know there was a pic when I made my first reply. I was thinking the bullets were copper jacketed. If the bullets are rusty then chuck them too.

JIMinPHX
06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Pull the bullets. Use the powder for fertilizer. Pop the primers. Scrap the cases.

My $0.02

Russel Nash
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
An interesting thought just popped into my head about AK rounds...

Ya, know, how when copper or brass comes in contact with steel, it makes steel corrode. I think that is why there are di-electric couplings used on water heaters.

And say for example you were using copper flashing somewhere like on a roof, well, you are supposed to nail it down with copper nails. You might be able to get away with stainless nails, but if you used steel that had been coated with zinc (aka galvanized) or just plain steel nails, the steel rusts out rather quickly.

Anywhooo... I find it a little odd that the Soviet Block countries didn't ever think abot galvanic currents or galvanic reactions when they came up with their steel cased ammo.

And supposedly our government wants to switch over stainless steel cases too.

Russel Nash
06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
[Kalishnokov voice on]

Quantity is a quality in itself.

[voice off]

bruce drake
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
The lacquer on the cases prevents the steel from contacting the gilding metal of the bullet. This works in theory as long as the machine operator isn't toked on vodka on the ammo has been exposed to the elements for a long time. If the goes from crate straight to magazines and then fired, no concerns with galzanic rusting.

9.3X62AL
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Let's review........an AK or SKS when fired creates a pressure impulse of 35K-40K PSI a few inches from your eyes, and you propose to contain that impulse in cartridges that look like THAT?

Ammo or component shortages do NOT justify departure from safety or common sense. The conscienceless predator that sold you those cartridges needs to be tarred and feathered. This sort of fraud and deceit needs addressing, and the perp would get a Priority Mail delivery forthwith if I were an involved party.

mroliver77
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Mroliver77. I have a question for you. Is the few cents that you paid for these "GEMS" worth ruining a rifle, losing your eyesight or fingers or facial lacerations or worse case scenario - death? Take these little babies out back and bury them DEEP! Only trouble will come from trying to salvage any part of them. I doubt the powder is any good either. :holysheep Robert

They aint mine!!

Jim
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I'd throw the whole batch in the trash and learn from this for next time. that's just me, though.

Jim
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-01-09.htm

Bret4207
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Dude, I'm as cheap as they come and even I wouldn't try and shoot those buggers!

10mmShooter
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
THROW THEM AWAY.....you are kidding about even cosidering shooting those right??

leadman
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't know if you have ever used a motorized wire brush capable of removing that much corrosion, but it can develop alot of heat on whatever you are cleaning and create sparks on ferrous metals.
Wouldn't it be great to brush thru the case and set off the powder while you were holding the cartridge?
Could change your whole outlook on things, if you can still see!

snaggdit
06-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't know if you have ever used a motorized wire brush capable of removing that much corrosion, but it can develop alot of heat on whatever you are cleaning and create sparks on ferrous metals.
Wouldn't it be great to brush thru the case and set off the powder while you were holding the cartridge?
Could change your whole outlook on things, if you can still see!

Wow, good point. If they are rusted, there is steel in there somewhere. Might be a bad idea to wire brush them. On the borderline cases you could try tumbling, but as the rest say, is it really worth taking a chance on your body parts or even your life?

303Guy
06-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Ya, know, how when copper or brass comes in contact with steel, it makes steel corrode.
The bullets are steel jacketed too!

Any sign of deterioration at all anywhere on the cartridge, even lacquer blisters - toss it! If they are old, toss them all. They have been subject to adverse conditions - toss them! But if you really want to fire them off, please get someone not too nearby to video the whole event. (With written instructions to show the video on U-tube and to give us the link).:mrgreen:

dromia
06-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Deep six them pronto!

briang
06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
If you absolutely have to shoot them use a real long string.

par0thead151
06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
If you absolutely have to shoot them use a real long string.

lol
yes, due caution will be exercised. the severely corroded on in the pic i am keeping, as i kind of like the relic look that it has.
any that i even think are questionable will not get shot. the majority just have light discoloration on the bullet, and the wire wheel takes that off no problem. im wondering though, would it be a bad idea to sand blast the whole lot? i have a auto tumbler that spins and blasts at the same time. Im just worried that the sand might be too abrasive for the brass.

303Guy
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
... too abrasive for the brass. But those would be steel cases.

Hardcast416taylor
06-13-2009, 01:45 AM
mroliver77. My apologies for entering your good name in my response by mistake. I was just too overwhelmed by parothead wanting to shoot that stuff I couldn`t think straight. Robert

briang
06-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd use something less aggressive than sand if I were to do it, like walnut or corncob.

par0thead151
06-13-2009, 10:07 PM
im not going to be shooting the sketchy ones...
not even ones that are questionable...
any pitting on the case will get it tossed,and if the jacket's pitted to the lead, that too will get pitches. i did a bunch of them on the wire wheel, and they clean up nice. the ones with only light dirt on it get tumbled and come out looking new.

runfiverun
06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
if theyre good theyre good, if questionable toss em.
split cases ain't worth the trouble remember these are steel not brass.
and as such they don't swell and halfway fill a chamber

Fixxah
06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
To even consider shooting ANY of these after asking for advice tells me you are either an idiot or a fool. Maybe both.

Storydude
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I think someone needs to take his Sig line advice......

superior
06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Those bullets are very deadly! If they dont kill right away, lock-jaw from tetanus, causing starvation, will surely finish off whatever you shot!

Fixxah
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I think someone needs to take his Sig line advice......
Sorry about that. Shoot em all, should be a good time.

par0thead151
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry about that. Shoot em all, should be a good time.

im not asking if i should shoot them, i asked what would happen....
any corrosion on the casing is a no go, a little on the bullet is OK.
so long as it is not eaten down to the lead core, or so pitted that it will not grip the rifling.
i really need to take pix of the rest of the lot, as it is nowhere near as bad as the 3 i pulled for shock and awe....
once i wire wheel the pieces, they clean up nice...
some are a total loss, others are ok to shoot

Willbird
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
An interesting thought just popped into my head about AK rounds...

Ya, know, how when copper or brass comes in contact with steel, it makes steel corrode. I think that is why there are di-electric couplings used on water heaters.

And say for example you were using copper flashing somewhere like on a roof, well, you are supposed to nail it down with copper nails. You might be able to get away with stainless nails, but if you used steel that had been coated with zinc (aka galvanized) or just plain steel nails, the steel rusts out rather quickly.

Anywhooo... I find it a little odd that the Soviet Block countries didn't ever think abot galvanic currents or galvanic reactions when they came up with their steel cased ammo.

And supposedly our government wants to switch over stainless steel cases too.

Copper plating is laid down onto very clean metal, galvanic corrosion can only take place in the presence of an electrolyte, and if the plating is laid right on the steel molecule on molecule than there is no room for an electrolyte to work between the two metals. Most water naturally occurring or present is either basic or acidic, thus it serves as an electrolyte.

Bill

Fixxah
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
im not asking if i should shoot them, i asked what would happen....
any corrosion on the casing is a no go, a little on the bullet is OK.
so long as it is not eaten down to the lead core, or so pitted that it will not grip the rifling.
i really need to take pix of the rest of the lot, as it is nowhere near as bad as the 3 i pulled for shock and awe....
once i wire wheel the pieces, they clean up nice...
some are a total loss, others are ok to shoot

Then please accept my sincere apology. If I could get my money back I would. No good can come of it.

They look like they were pulled from a shipwreck and I am willing to bet won't go bang anyway. If you decide to destroy a gun, get it on video because this could be a youtube top ten.:coffee:

par0thead151
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
more pictures...

these are the "pitch pile"
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5210.jpg?t=1245115973
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5211.jpg?t=1245115955
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5218.jpg?t=1245115973

these are the pile of ones to be wire wheeled off, tumbled and then inspected.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5213.jpg?t=1245115965
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5215.jpg?t=1245115967
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5216.jpg?t=1245115969

dominicfortune00
06-15-2009, 10:00 PM
With those ones in the 'pitch pile', I'd pull the bullets and melt the lead out of them.

Dispose of the rest as previously mentioned above.

Good Luck!

briang
06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Personally, I wouldn't shoot a single one of those.

par0thead151
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Personally, I wouldn't shoot a single one of those.

just curious as to why?
if the case is perfectly in tact, and the bullet is as well...
most of the coloring on the "keep pile" is dirt or discoloration due to calcium deposits and other stuff that it was exposed to.

SciFiJim
06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
They look like they were in an ammo can half filled with water for 30 years.

Mtman314
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
I'd consider pulling the good ones and shooting out of the 303 if they clean up nice through the tumbler.

Fixxah
06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
You just don't get it. Are there any folks that would be willing to stand next to you on the range? Catastrophic case failure and extremely high pressure gases to to face, destruction of gun and possible DEATH may result from firing ANY of those rounds.

Find the guy who stole your $50 and pay him another $50 to have him fire just one of them. Then charge $.10 for somebody to watch the video of the carnage. You may find that retirement could be early with the cash you make.

It is obvious that you do not care about your own safety but for the sake of others shoot them when alone and out of the public eye. Why I even care whether or not you kill yourself is a mystery. Just leave a note to loved ones where they can find what is left of you for a proper burial.

Carry on.

par0thead151
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
You just don't get it. Are there any folks that would be willing to stand next to you on the range? Catastrophic case failure and extremely high pressure gases to to face, destruction of gun and possible DEATH may result from firing ANY of those rounds.

Find the guy who stole your $50 and pay him another $50 to have him fire just one of them. Then charge $.10 for somebody to watch the video of the carnage. You may find that retirement could be early with the cash you make.

It is obvious that you do not care about your own safety but for the sake of others shoot them when alone and out of the public eye. Why I even care whether or not you kill yourself is a mystery. Just leave a note to loved ones where they can find what is left of you for a proper burial.

Carry on.

your making a great reason to not shoot bad ammo, yes.
however the ones that do not have rust or corrosion on them... how are they a hazard to my health? thats just what i am wondering, as if they appear like any other round i shoot, what is the danger in shooting them?
i plan on shooting this through a mg47(beltfed AK) on a mg42 ww2 tripod, so my face and hand will not be near the thing. it will be a good 3-4 ft away from it.

Shiloh
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
They're done. Pitch 'em.

Don't waste your time with copper washed steel bullets, or who knows what powder.
Hope you paid little or nothing for 'em.

Shiloh

briang
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
just curious as to why?
if the case is perfectly in tact, and the bullet is as well...
most of the coloring on the "keep pile" is dirt or discoloration due to calcium deposits and other stuff that it was exposed to.

Cause they've been sitting around corroding for who knows long. I wouldn't want to rise sticking a case or scracthing the bore or blowing the gun up, etc.

your making a great reason to not shoot bad ammo, yes.
however the ones that do not have rust or corrosion on them... how are they a hazard to my health? thats just what i am wondering, as if they appear like any other round i shoot, what is the danger in shooting them?
i plan on shooting this through a mg47(beltfed AK) on a mg42 ww2 tripod, so my face and hand will not be near the thing. it will be a good 3-4 ft away from it.

How much is that gun worth? Are you willing to risk that for the $50.00 you paid for that ammo? While I've got nothing to prove this, I'm pretty sure shrapnel from an exploding gun will fly more than 3-4 feet.

357maximum
06-16-2009, 05:46 PM
It comes down to this:

It is your ammo, gun, life, face, hands, and arms. If you are gonna fire them things go ahead. I ask that you do it alone on private property away from bystanders while wearing full protective gear, maybe even a flak jacket.

You have been given the answer to your question, you happen to disagree, which is fine......do what you have to. I would make sure your affairs are in order first.

Brow beating this issue will prove no further use to this CAST BOOLIT site...this thread is done.

Michael