PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest 03 Crossed With M-1 Garand

moodyholler
03-11-2006, 09:11 PM
This has to be the ugliest critter I have had the displeasure to own. They called me from the shop and said they had a beautiful 03 for me and this is what I got. 03 action and m-1 garand stock and about 3 lbs of acrglass to fill the openings. I should be charging admission to see it and providing glasses. It is a 1941 action and 4 groove barrel and will make a great Sedgley sporter. moodyholler

PatMarlin
03-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Hee, hee... may shoot like a banshee, or make a good boat paddle.. :mrgreen:

Dale53
03-12-2006, 01:38 AM
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Dale53

Buckshot
03-12-2006, 02:39 AM
...............Here. Hold my beer and lookit whut I can do with thischer Garand stock 8).

.................Buckshot

bruce drake
03-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Kind of makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It better shoot pretty to offset the ugly :)

Bruce

Johnch
03-12-2006, 04:26 PM
For what they spent on glass , they could have bought a decent stock that fit properly .

Johnch

ebner glocken
03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
YIKES Some bubba got turned loose with a file and an idea!

rocklock
03-12-2006, 09:47 PM
OK, now this is just plain wrong on so many levels...

Frank46
03-13-2006, 01:44 AM
I dunno but its so ugly that it kinda grows on you like a bad case of poison oak. Definitely done by someone who needs supervision. Let us know how it shoots. Good thing my glasses ain't clean. Frank

SharpsShooter
03-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Now thats a gun only a mother ccould love.

Maineboy
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
This is Fugly...shouldn't be hard to figure out how she got her name.

There were always lots of laughs and snickers when I took her out. She did know how to shoot, but I just couldn't bear to look at her anymore so off to the gunsmith we went. Now she's been reincarnated as a 35 Whelen.

versifier
03-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd rather have an ugly rifle that shoots well than a pretty wall hanger that prints patterns instead of groups. You can always put a decent stock on an ugly shooter for a reasonable cost, a lot cheaper than action truing and rebarreling to turn a pretty lead sprayer into something functional.
I have a rifle they laugh at, but they don't laugh for long. :smile:
So, does it shoot or not?

nighthunter
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
My first deer rifle was an O3-A3 with a chopped off stock that my Dad bought through the NRA for $10.00. I have the paper work here for any doubters. WOW .... that was 40 some years ago ... how time flies .... I have never killed a deer any deader than what I did with that old '06. Today it still shoots cast boolits into 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards except with a scope sight. It doesn't matter whats on the outside. Hmmmm ... I think I heard that somewhere before.
Nighthunter

omgb
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
At the local gun club (Oaktree for anyone who cares) there was a bubba'd '03 in the rack for $175. It was missing its sights and the stock had been altered. The pistol grip was created by epoxying on a big chunk of deer antler. The forearm cap was made in a similar fashion. It was the ugliest thing you've ever seen, worse by far than "fugly" or Moodyholler's rifle. I offered them $125 for it but they wouldn't budge. Too bad. The action and barrel looked pretty good.

PatMarlin
03-14-2006, 11:00 PM
That's what it is... a "gun club". :mrgreen:

omgb
03-14-2006, 11:04 PM
A "gun club' is a place were we gather to shoot targets and the breeze. it has a trap range, skeet towers, a pistol range, a club hous/bar/grill and a pro shop

PatMarlin
03-14-2006, 11:19 PM
-well that's better than wackin' somebody with it.. :mrgreen:

fiberoptik
03-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Maybe I'm gettin old, but I've taken quite a liking to ugly old guns, bringing them back to life. That stock looks a hell of a lot better than the "plastic" one on my 03a3. At least it's wood!

Four Fingers of Death
03-15-2006, 05:05 AM
I rescued this old Isralei ex WW2 mauser with Nazi markings, not so hot barrel, welded scope mount and bubba'd stock. Why I don't know, but I got it anyway. I don't know if it will shoot and I have more ex mil rifles than I can poke a stick at (all but one have excellent barrels and are in as issued trim. I had in mind that it would make a good starter rifle for a newbie. I have given away three Israeli Mauser which I picked up cheap in the past and got a new guy started and two who had strayed off the path due to financial constraints of raisong a family. No doubt someone will come along and end up getting into hunting with this old rifle. I don't know how (or if) it shoots. I must take it out and give it a run. I've got a thousand or so ex mils sitting around gathering dust.

PS, I've seen worse welds!
Mick.

moodyholler
03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Well fellows, I went to shoot it and it has a chamber insert to 308 win. I don't have any components so my smith is gonna see if he can get the insert out and make it 06 again. The comb is so high it will most definitely wreak havoc on my jaw. Thanks for all the comments. moodyholler

PatMarlin
03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Do you own a canoe, Moody?.. LOL.

TCLouis
03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Well fellows, I went to shoot it and it has a chamber insert to 308 win. I don't have any components so my smith is gonna see if he can get the insert out and make it 06 again. The comb is so high it will most definitely wreak havoc on my jaw. Thanks for all the comments. moodyholler

It is ugly, has a 308 insert and overal lis too much trouble for you to fiddle with.
Send it to my gunsmith and I will save you from further problems and embarassemnt. Oh, would you mind paying the shipping since I am the one doing you a favor.
LouisB

spurrit
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
A "gun club' is a place were we gather to shoot targets and the breeze. it has a trap range, skeet towers, a pistol range, a club hous/bar/grill and a pro shop

At a recent meeting, one of our members who's been beating a dead horse since we passed a rule outlawing drinking on the premesis, even after hours for the folks that are camping, even during rendevous uttered the following immortal words: "If we can't drink, we may as well close down the range! What the hell else are we here for?"

My thinking was,......"Umm....... shooting?"

spurrit
03-27-2009, 10:52 AM

You could always replace that stock with a rough cut 4X4 post!

quasi
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
"If we can't drink, we may as well close down the range! What the hell else are we here for?"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

wiljen
03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I have a bubba'd Lithgow SMLE that I could post a picture of, but I'm afraid of ruining a good digital camera or being kicked off the board for obscenity.

omgb
03-28-2009, 01:10 AM
For any one who cares to know, i bought that Bubba'd 03 for $100 a few weeks after i posted that. i then got all the parts I needed to turn it into a beautiful 03A3 that really shoots well. I think IIRC, parts, gun etc came to about $350.

Nora
03-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Ummmm, Ahhhhh, I don't get it......

And I offer this toward the ugliest gun award. It is currently be listed on Gun Broker. Was it Bubba'd by the same guy?

jhrosier
03-28-2009, 03:59 AM
.... this is what I got. 03 action and m-1 garand stock and about 3 lbs of acrglass to fill the openings.....

Take a closer look at that stock.
If it has four square holes in the cheekpiece, it might be from an Asperly Aimless.[smilie=1:

Jack

PatMarlin
03-28-2009, 09:18 AM
I was such a smart **** in 06' ...:mrgreen:

Nazgul
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
You need to list it on Gunbroker for at least $20,000 as a rare custom firearm by a little known maker of the best rifles in the world.

Don