PDA

View Full Version : Need your help/input...

S.R.Custom
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm doing the website for a new pistolsmith/custom shop that's opening here in town, and I need your input... The following images are drafts of what the front/entry page is going to look like. I'd like to hear what you guys like and dislike about each, and which one is your favorite.

As usual, click for large versions. Thanks for your help...

Terrier
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I like the upper image the best, shows the craft not the person (I assume the lower represents the smith or a user of the service). From a clarity point of view I would clean up the S, a, l and i for easier read of the company name. You don't want people trying to figure out the "artistic" intent.
Terrier

BD
06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Top one get's my vote.

BD

Wicky
06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
+1 for the top image

GP100man
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
+ another for the top image.

GP100man:castmine:

S.R.Custom
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I like the upper image the best, shows the craft not the person (I assume the lower represents the smith or a user of the service). From a clarity point of view I would clean up the S, a, l and i for easier read of the company name. You don't want people trying to figure out the "artistic" intent.
Terrier

Excellent points; exactly what I was looking for... As the 'artist,' it's often difficult to discern the difference between what's "edgy and cool" and what's simply obnoxious.

Keep the comments coming... :-D

eddie56
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I like the top one also.

DLCTEX
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
+1 on the top.

defib
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Top image

Firebricker
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
The thing I like about the top image is its showing a custom revolver. It gives the impression
of a place doing quality work. Top or bottom I love that you have included a passage from
the book of Luke one of my favorites also. Good luck with the new shop. FB

shooterg
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Like the quote- top is best but I'd maybe show several types of firearms - not everybody is into SASS and that's the first thought in my pea brain when I looked. Good luck - we need to replace all the shops Clinton's ATF ran out of business !

S.R.Custom
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
...top is best but I'd maybe show several types of firearms - not everybody is into SASS and that's the first thought in my pea brain when I looked...

That concern was on my mind, and that's why I cooked up the "Sinister Minister." (That's what one of the local critics here calls him, lol.) The cowboy was supposed to prompt a "What the...?" response and a subsequent visit to the site, as opposed to a gun and the first (erroneous?) reaction the viewer has to that particular gun.

As you say, a photo-montage of some sort may indeed be in order...

...we need to replace all the shops Clinton's ATF ran out of business !

You wouldn't believe what it takes to get an 07 license these days. Well, actually, you probably would.

AZ-Stew
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
The lower image looks like the avatar photo of one of the board members (can't recall who at the moment). The upper is good, but I'd suggest that you modify it in one of these two directions:

1.) Shorten the perspective and make it look a bit more realistic with a smaller muzzle diameter and shorter barrel, or...

2.) Further extend the perepective and give more exageration to the muzzle diameter and barrel length.

As is, it's kind of middle-of-the-road, and while it gets my attention, it doesn't quite "grab" me.

My $0.02 as a part-time photographer.

Regards,

Stew

MtGun44
06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
+1 on simpler font.

Like the top image, but maybe pointing away from us? See the action as more of the
center of attention, which I presume is where a lot of the improvements will be.

Bill

BarryinIN
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Gotta go with the gun. If I click on a custom gun site, that's what I want to see.
Although I do agree that pointing muzzle away is best.

runfiverun
06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
mike... i agree with stew's first suggestion.
and roll it a bit more grip down. that'll do it.

JIMinPHX
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I guess that I'm different. I like the bottom one. It shows a little more of the person that you would be dealing with & that is important to me. Then again, my opinion may not matter, because I would do all my own custom work anyway.

Why not incorporate both pictures into the splash page?

Bret4207
06-11-2009, 06:57 AM
The upper gets my vote. I'd like to see it and the other guns superimposed over a nice shot of the local country, something with lots of contrast of course.

Wayne Smith
06-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I've been intrigued by what Palmetto Arms had several years ago, haven't checked since then. Their opening screen was a poker table. You clicked on one of several appropriate icons on the table to get to sections of the site.

Of what you have I like the top, assuming that he's trying to attract those who like guns. If he's trying to educate the masses, take the second. On the first, ditto on the improvements on the font and perspective.

crabo
06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I like the font. I think it is quite interesting and is has an new/old west feel to it. I also think that simple is good, don't clutter it up. You have had a good designer spend some time on this already. I think his ideas are good.

My wife, the designer, says she really likes the font. She thinks it would look beautiful as a large sign.

Firebird
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I agree with runfiverun, the top image but tilt the gun down a little more so you can get a better look at it.

S.R.Custom
06-12-2009, 12:07 PM
OK... In response to the input from everybody, we've cooked up a final design for the front page of the website. We'll probably play around just a bit more, but this is essentially it. We took the blood spatters out of the font, and came up with a graphic that hopefully will appeal to the broadest possible interest group...

But we had too much fun with the cowboy to just let him ride off into the sunset, so we ordered a few of these... :mrgreen:

Thanks to all for the comments... it was fun. Now time to get back to the real work. We hope to have this place up and running in a few weeks.

MT Gianni
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I like the pistols and the lettering. The cup reminds me of your old avitar, so I assumed it was you. Probably one who had not seen it on a site for years would have a fresher perspective.

C A Plater
06-13-2009, 08:15 AM
I think it needs the word pistols or pistolsmith on there. "Salmon River Custom" feels truncated as in "Custom what?" I vote to make it explicit what it;s all about.

Bob Krack
06-13-2009, 11:07 AM
No boubt adout it! Number one is the one.

wallenba
06-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Top one for sure, catches the eye, ain't vague about services inside.