PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' the lube out

JohnH
04-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I want to change the lube in my Lyman 4500 sizer. I've read of folks heating the machine up to get it out, I'm having a dunce day, how do you go about this?

imashooter2
04-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I have my sizer mounted on a .135 steel plate. I pull the die then place a flat iron on the plate and turn it on. The old lube liquefies and runs out into a plastic bowl I place underneath.

Before I had it mounted on the plate I used a heat gun to do the same job.

swheeler
04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
John H: if your 4500 has the heater in it you've got it made, remove the sizer die and leave it plugged in, if not a hair dryer will work also.
Scooter

Willbird
04-14-2005, 08:46 PM
I have the older lyman sizer, the orange one with multiple cast iron castings, I strip it down and heat it with a propane torch, do it outside, don;t try to heat the thing red hot, just warm it up some, the stuff will run out

Bill

shooter575
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I keep a old hair drier in my shop.It works just fine.Takes a bit longer than a torch though.But it will not burn the lube so it can be reused.

azrednek
04-14-2005, 11:13 PM
If it doesn't have alot of hard lube with a real high melting point disassemble it and put it in the dishwasher. Add some extra detergent and get the water temp as high as possible. Mine came out looking like new with the rinse agent giving it a shine. When I have mine apart I soak the o-rings in ATF, seems to give them some new life.

imashooter2
04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
If it doesn't have alot of hard lube with a real high melting point disassemble it and put it in the dishwasher. Add some extra detergent and get the water temp as high as possible. Mine came out looking like new with the rinse agent giving it a shine. When I have mine apart I soak the o-rings in ATF, seems to give them some new life.

Huh! I eat off of things that come out of my dishwasher...

Leadmine
04-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I've taken mine, disassembled it,put it in a pot of water, and heated it on a coleman stove to boiling. Lube is completely displaced and the unit will be completely cleaned.