PDA

View Full Version : Need help with supplies

FromTheWoods
03-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I've tried various lead bullets in my Winchester '94 .32-40 and the only ones it will shoot straight are the ones Sundog built for me. So-----it's time for me to build my own.

I don't know what equipment I need to cast for this caliber. The list below is a start, but I need your help filling it out. Then I can begin purchasing the necessary items.

--RCBS Lube-A-Matic
--RCBS 32-170-FN Gas Check Mold
--Handles
--Top Punch
--sizer die
--???????

I guess it's time to start collecting wheel weights!

The Nyack Kid
03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
beg ,borrow or steal whatever lube sundog used.
lead pot ( i like bottom pour) for casting bullets . obtain by anymeans nessisary a seperate pot for rendering WWs into clean alloy and an ingot mold for clean alloy.
also try and get your hands on as much casting reading material as can be stored handly near the toilet.

David R
03-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Just hang around here and ask all the questions you want. Everybody here has an opinion.

Just start procuring what you already know you need. The rest will come.

Do you know what Sundog sized your boolits to? What powder charge?

Have fun and enjoy :)

David

Bent Ramrod
03-12-2006, 01:48 AM
FromTheWoods,

Don't forget a .32R Lyman "M" die to add to your .32-40 die set to expand cases to fit the cast bullets. I would guess you'd need some crimp-on gas checks if that RCBS mold has a gas check shank on the cavity. Slug your barrel; .32-40's can go from .319" to .323" in groove-to-groove diameter.

You have one of the best calibers for cast bullets ever created. Enjoy!

FromTheWoods
03-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Whoa, Nyack! How did you know I was full of cr_ _ ? Near the toilet--good one!

I'll have to ask Sundog about the sizing and lube. The powder was 24 grains of H4895.

I bought a set of RCBS Cowboy dies to get the expander die for cast bullets. With my two die set, the brass was not liking even the jacketed bullets.

Yes! That .32-40 is a wonderful rifle to shoot. The last time I was at the range, someone had carried a lemon out to the 100 yard targets, but had left without hitting it. I set it on a post out there, and off hand, first shot, lemonade! That rifle fits me well. Shoots so straight!

Four Fingers of Death
03-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Whoa, Nyack! How did you know I was full of cr_ _ ? Near the toilet--good one!

I'll have to ask Sundog about the sizing and lube. The powder was 24 grains of H4895.

I bought a set of RCBS Cowboy dies to get the expander die for cast bullets. With my two die set, the brass was not liking even the jacketed bullets.

Yes! That .32-40 is a wonderful rifle to shoot. The last time I was at the range, someone had carried a lemon out to the 100 yard targets, but had left without hitting it. I set it on a post out there, and off hand, first shot, lemonade! That rifle fits me well. Shoots so straight!

That reminds me of the Sienfield episode where George takes th book into the toilet in the bookstore. Good laugh.

The Nyack Kid
03-12-2006, 04:07 AM
ahhh the cast reading matiral is for reading and learning ( I learned that it is not kosher to take the computer in there) . glossy gun rags on the other hand serve a differant purpose

The Nyack Kid
03-12-2006, 04:08 AM
i think this thread could get silly.

libbyman
03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Get a copy of the book"The Art of Bullet Casting". It is a reprint
of articles from Handloader and Rifle magazines from the years1966-1981.
A place to get a new copy is
VEGA TOOL CO.
4865 TANGLEWOOD CT.
BOULDER, CO.

The cat. has a lot of interesting stuff.
$5 for the cat. plus $5 discount for first order from cat.

The Nyack Kid
03-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Veral Smiths book "jacketed performance with cast bullets " is a great read .