PDA

View Full Version : Loading buckshot

chaos
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I'd like to know what all is involved in loading buckshot. Just for blasting stuff, no serious hunting loads

I gave up loading shotshells some years back as it just wasnt worth my trouble. I have a MEC grabber gathering dust and more than a few primers.

I am sure loading single stage is probably in order for this buckshot task. Maybe one of those Lee load all rigs would fit the bill.

Any suggestions about anything and everything is appreciated....... manuals, good reads, Moulds ( I will not buy shot, dont know where to start to find a mould for casting them).

Thanks,
Chaos

runfiverun
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
you load it by either count or by weight.
the loader you have should do fine if you want tighter patterns use buffer.
there should be good buckshot loads on the hodgdon sight.

Leftoverdj
06-10-2009, 12:39 AM
If you happen to have a drill press, the cheap way to load buckshot is with a roll crimper. No other press needed. A set of Lee dippers or your regular measure can dispense powder. Deprime with a suitable punch and reprime by tapping the shell down over the primer with a section of half inch tubing.

To cast buckshot, you need a suitable RB mould. Lee sells them cheap. The .360 is OOO buckshot size, and they load 8 pellets to a 2.75" 12 gauge case. A smaller size means a lot more casting.

You can get the roll crimper and the double end no pedals wad from BPI.

WARD O
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
You can't just dump the buckshot - have to stack it into the shell getting the correct number into each layer. Takes a little time.

lylejb
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
graf's shows a lee single cav .360 round ball aka 000buck still in stock, less than 5 left. $17

http://www.grafs.com/product/232625

one of the few sizes still in stock

markinalpine
06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
...how about info on rolling your own snake rounds for revolvers? I know Speer makes plastic shot capsules. If it's already available on this board somewhere, I won't even be embarrassed, since there is so much info uploaded everyday, it's impossible to keep up.
Mark :Fire:

markinalpine
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
HAH! Answered my own question again. Used the search function and found this: http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm from 2005 I think.

Jack Stanley
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I used to load AA trap hulls with a twelve pellet load of thirty-caliber balled that was cast from a LEE single cavity mold . I did have to layer the pellets into the shot cup but the results were worth it . I forget what the cup was but it was intended for a heavy game load of regulat shot , think along the lines of a ounce and five-eigths or so . The cushion part was rather short but what I wanted was the pellets to be even or a little below the end of the wad . The reason for that was , I could use a regular star crimp on the ammo .

I think LEE still sells the .314" round ball mould that is intended for black powder shooting . I cast out of wheel weights and it worked well on deer out to thirty yards or so .

Jack

mroliver77
06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I have the Lee .313 RB mould.It does the trick for me. I used to let my daughter cast these to get the hang of casting. I dont shoot too many of these so 2 at a time works well for me. I need to get a little better selection of RB molds though.
Jay

DLCTEX
06-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I cast Lee's .311 round balls and load with info from Lyman's Shotshell Handbook. If you want, pm me which shell, powder, etc. you want to reload and I'll check loads for you.

Firebricker
06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I would use you mec. The manual index makes it nice for loading slugs or buckshot. I just
start like normal once you have correct powder charge and load. Fill the powder hopper
but leave stot hopper empty then when you get one to shot station seat the wad then pull
that hull out put in buckshot by hand then put it back in and index. Even if you go with roll
crimp use you press till wad is seated. The roll crimp is nice with clear plastic over shot card
makes em easy to identify. Fold crimps fine I just mark em with a sharpy. FB

Slow Elk 45/70
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Chaos, drop down to -- Guns & Shooting then go to Casting for shotguns, lots of info there..[smilie=1: