PDA

View Full Version : Need a .45acp Recipe

Josh Smith
06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Hello,

My 1911 shoos POA = POI at 15 paces with Blazer Brass and Hydrashok, both 230gn.

I've not yet found a recipe that will let me do the same with my 230gn reloads. They shoot low.

The standard recipe is 230gn over 5.2 +/- .1gn of W231. This feels relatively light in comparison to the others; I made up 10 with 5.6gn (+/- .1gn) last night, and will shoot them after 5pm today. The hope is that I will generate enough recoil early in the recoil curve to raise the point of impact.

I know I need a chronograph, and while it's on my list of things to get, I simply do not have the money right now.

I have access only to W231 at this point. While powders are starting to make a comeback here, they're still largely limited in brand and type.

Does anyone have any loads they know of which will reproduce the above loads (Blazer and Hydrashok) for point of impact exactly, using W231?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Shiloh
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
You can do it without a chronograph, but having one will give you numbers to compare.
I would suggest a slower powder and/or a lower velocity.

The reason I say this is when going to a heavier boolit in a 1911 the velocities were reduced and the POI a good bit higher at 25 yds.

Others will know more than I.

Shiloh

carpetman
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
.45ACP Recipe
It is shooting low so aim high---how much higher depends on how low. Find squirrel,rabbit,edible bird, and aim above it's head. How much above it's head--re-read sentence 1. Pull trigger. If you hit target in the head you musta grasped sentence 1 and made proper correction. Fetch target. Skin and gut target. Cook same.

fredj338
06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
That is the load I use, but I can't compare it to factory, it runs about 850fps. I don't shoot factory except for JHP loads & they are close enough to POA/POI @ 15yds to not bother me. How much lower is the 5.3gr load shooting? That should be around 820fps or so.

MtGun44
06-09-2009, 01:26 PM
A chrono is a good and pretty safe way to indirectly measure your pressure and avoid doing
anything dangerous. It is not exact, bullets will vary a bit in their reaction to the same amount
of powder, but it is approximately correct that if you are shooting at the same velocity with
the same powder and the same bullet or boolit weight as a known safe load (with a close
to the same barrel length) you will be pretty close on pressures.

SO - if you are trying to match factory pressures and POI, you really need to chrono some
of the factory stuff in YOUR gun and then proceed to match it for velocity with either the
exact same bullet, if available, or your own boolit of a similar weight and style. Expect higher
vel for the same powder charge with lead boolits over jacketed, which I attribute to lower bore
friction. Tin-lead babbit is used as a bearing alloy in cars for this reason.

Bill

wallenba
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Screw the rear sight down til it hits where you want it to. Basic K.I.S.S. principle here.

wallenba
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Ooops, I meant up for low.

mpmarty
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Sorry to add to the tale here but you probably need a LIGHTER powder charge to raise the boolit poi. In pistols the higher velocity rounds will strike lower on the target due to lessened time in the barrel during recoil. Slower rounds will generally print higher on the target.

looseprojectile
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
A heavier boolit will shoot higher.
There is a lot to be said for adjustable sights.
If you are very much unlike me you can shoot the same load forever and not need adjustable sights. The fixed sight guns are made for close combat with .45 hardball. Target guns have adjustables.
On the other hand I try to get fixed sight guns to shoot to POA by adjusting the load with a heavier/lighter boolit or different powder or powder charge.
Sorry I can't relate to you what will work for you as I have probably loaded several hundred different receipes for the .45 auto.
One of my favorite loads in the .45 auto uses the 255 grain RNFP Colt boolit.
I recently discovered Tight Group powder. :Fire:

Life is good

NSP64
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I shoot 4.8 gr W231 under 200gr boolits gives me 1000. fps out of 5" bbl. it shoots poa @ 50 yrds for me.