PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Gun shps in the washington DC Area?

ihmsakiwi
06-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Hello, I will be attending a Trade Show in Washington DC in August. Are there any decent Gun Shops selling casting gear particulary in this area? I usually do the Cabelas type stores over but do like the local gunshops for the occasional bargin hidden on the shelves. Peter

Leadforbrains
06-09-2009, 07:23 AM
This is a bit of drive, but GreenTop off of I95 exit 86 I believe. It is closer to Richmond Virginia.
Green Top does have some RCBS molds and Handles and Lee molds and handles. They have some sizer dies, lube and do stock other casting accessories. Green top will be your best bet for some casting equipment. I have bought a RCBS .45 acp mold and an RCBS Lubrisizer from them. They have ingot molds, casting thermometers and ladles.
Green top is probably a 2 hr the drive from D.C.

It's doubtful to me that you will find any real bargains anywhere on anything gun related due to the buying panic that is being caused by the current administration. Green Top sporting goods is still worth a look.

gary0529
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
As I live in the western reaches of Northern Va. I am forced to say that I have yet to run across a gunshop that is a real reloaders store. As previously noted, GreenTop in Glen Allen Va. has a bit and so does Clark Brothers in Warrenton, Va. (about 1 hour out of DC via I 66 west to Rt 15-29 then go about 20 miles south). Neither will have bargains-IF THEY EXIST, you will probably have to stumble upon some backwoods general store that has dusty stuff hidden in the shelves.

Good luck,

Gary

ihmsakiwi
06-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks Guys, Looks like it will be the usual buy ups from Cabelas and Midsouth with deliveries to my hotel. Thanks for the information. I don't think I will taxi to the stores mentioned as last time out of my Chicago hotel it cost me $120 each way. The consierge informed me it would be no more than $50 bucks tops!! Peter.

The Double D
06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I suggest you give Clark Brothers in Warrenton a try, and make it a point to corner a clerk and ask them what they might have in old stock or used casting equipment in the back room. They have the standard stuff up front, but I sometimes have got them to bring stuff out from the bak room.

You definitely won't be taking a Taxi there, rental car will be needed.

Leftoverdj
06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
btw, Clark Brothers is in Opal, not Warrenton.

chickenstripe
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Interesting.....

They're site says Warrenton, and Opal, but their receipts say Bealton.....

Leftoverdj
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Opal is a wide spot in the road (Rt 29) about 7 miles south of Warrenton. Bealeton is a slightly wider spot 3-4 miles to the east on an intersecting road whose number I disremember.

The advice about asking a clerk is dead on. On occasion, they can pull some amazing stuff out of that back room, especially oddball ammo.

Leadforbrains
06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Guys, Looks like it will be the usual buy ups from Cabelas and Midsouth with deliveries to my hotel. Thanks for the information. I don't think I will taxi to the stores mentioned as last time out of my Chicago hotel it cost me $120 each way. The consierge informed me it would be no more than $50 bucks tops!! Peter.

No rental car???

BD
06-11-2009, 05:41 PM
If I had time to kill in Washington DC, I'd be pretty tempted to visit the NRA museum.

BD

MtGun44
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
+! for the NRA museum. Out 66, IIRC, right on the interstate but a good time.

Bill

ihmsakiwi
06-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you guys for the heads-up on the Museum, I will definitely put that on my schedule. And thank you Texas FlyBoy for the PM and the kind offer. I only bring back stuff with me that is USA border friendly, as we do not have any hassles here in NZ if you get the approproiate paperwork prior to leaving NZ. Anything too contentious I ship / fly home. This trip its top punches. .225 sizing die, 224 mold or two. Peter.

BD
06-13-2009, 10:37 AM
If you haven't ever been, the Smithsonian Institute is also well worth a vist. The aerospace museum in particular. I could spend a week on that mall. Easy to get to on the subway.

BD

ChuckS1
06-13-2009, 03:09 PM
If you go to the NRA museum, take I-66 west a couple of exits and go to the Smithsonian annex at Dulles. Free to get in, $8 to park. Worth the trip.