PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster or Hand Mold?

ciPeterF
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Probably not a new topic.. Looking for feedback on the value\usefulness of Magma's Master Caster..

- How's it perform in terms of speed compared to a 2 or 4 holer and a Lee (or other) bottom pour pot?
- any noticible difference in bootlit consistency?
- can exisitng lyman \ rcbs molds be well adapted to the Master Caster?
- can Master Caster mold be well adpated to hand molds?

Thks!

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
well i have the master caster for less than 1 week and think it's the best and easiest bullet i ever cast. after throughing the first 10 or so while coming up to temp, then BAM! not another bad boolit. I have cast i'm guessing 5-6 thousand so far and will not go back.
I've been selling my old molds off to fund the magma and what they are paying on ebay it will be close to a wash.
they will retro fit 2 cavity steel molds for i think $35 each.
I'm planning on writing up a mini review and a youtube vid of it in action.
Cas

Bret4207
06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I can produce 6 good boolits every 15 seconds with a Lee 6 banger and a ladle. On a good day anyway. That's 24 a minute, 1440 an hour. Now I've never done 1440, but I have done between 4 and 600 on a regular basis. Were it me I'd be weighing the cost vs the production. Those rigs are expensive.

Springfield
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I cast 1200 plus an hour for 3 hours at a time 2-3 times a week. I can't afford to go as slow as a Master Caster goes. But that's just me. The main reason I see to go with a Master Caster instead of hand casting is if you either can't or don't like to hand cast. Maybe when I get old and feeble I will buy one, but for now I can't see the expense. I would like to try one someday though.

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
i had a lee 6 cavity and hated it. had other big molds and would cast till i couldn't pick it up anymore. with the master caster i can cast for hours and not even an itch in the arm.
but to each his own.

ANeat
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
From what Ive heard and the guys I know that have used one the Master Caster is like the Marathon Machine. Go all day with no ill effects. On a short run a 6 cavity will out pace it but over the long haul you body will thank you if you use the Master Caster.

I hand cast myself but have considered the Master Caster. I can still keep up with what I shoot with proper planning (basicly cast in the winter and shoot em in the summer)

I would be interested to see the video FM2k, I seen some pics of another someone "automated"

HeavyMetal
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
If you can afford it go for it!

I've seen the master caster in action and it was a wonder. For myself I'll continue casting by hand because I have weird taste in boolits but, someday, I may opt for a master caster because of age!

snaggdit
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
well i have the master caster for less than 1 week and think it's the best and easiest bullet i ever cast. after throughing the first 10 or so while coming up to temp, then BAM! not another bad boolit. I have cast i'm guessing 5-6 thousand so far and will not go back.
I've been selling my old molds off to fund the magma and what they are paying on ebay it will be close to a wash.
they will retro fit 2 cavity steel molds for i think $35 each.
I'm planning on writing up a mini review and a youtube vid of it in action.
Cas

How was the variance between boolits? Weight and size differences? I would think they would be a tad more uniform, since everything is done the same. Barring differences in cavities, obviously.

runfiverun
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
they are about as fast as a 2 cavity mold run by hand i have 2 of them.
one i built a stand for and switch the pot back and forth for hand casting and machine casting.
the mastercaster can be run by wifes and children easily all they have to be able to do is count to a certain number and pull the handle all the way down.
once you get it up to temp you just keep going and adding lead.
i put mine on a work bench and sit at it the boolits and sprues drop through a hole in the bench top into a drawer i go untill i either get bored or till the drawer needs emptying.
i keep about 5-6 shop towells in the drawer to cushion the drop.
i also figured out to put a larger bowl in the drawer and water drop the boolits.
when i remove the pot and mount it on the stand for hand casting i use the double hole for 4 cavity molds it speeds up that castinc considerably but i can switch the pot to a single hole drop if i want to.

fredj338
06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I bought one way back when they first came out, $495 I think. It will take any 2cav iron mold as modified by Magma. It is definitely not faster than a 4 or 6cav mold but your reject rate is almost zero & you can cast all day if you like. It blows away any hand casting w/ a 2cav just because you eliminate so many motions. The 40# pot never falls below temp even if you add metal at the 20# mark. With the fan setup blowing on it & keeping the alloy @ 700deg, you can go a steady 500/hr. I love mine, but you don't buy it for speed IMO, you buy it for long term volumn casting. If I need 500 230gr/45s, it's faster w a Lee 6cav.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Master Caster...Heck I thought I was the Master Caster:confused:

Not for me...I have to much fun casting the hard way :mrgreen:, I have no problem running out of boolits because I can't cast enough , I just have to find time to shoot all of them up. Use what ever trips your trigger and enjoy the disease, you can't take the money with you anyway.[smilie=1:

:castmine:

legend
06-09-2009, 03:52 AM
i used to own two,and loved them both.

very easy to use and you can cast a lot and feel fine at the end of the day.

i used to water drop 311299s with one;today i shot some made in 1992 and shot my first one hole 50 yd group with my DPMS LR-308,i was thinking driveing home about the ease in casting them.......