PDA

View Full Version : a rare (for me) success story 30/40 krag

JBMauser
03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Well here are the results I got from a Parts gun I picked up at a gun show (cut down Krag 30/40 sporter carbine). After boiling out the “sewer Pipe” barrel with my home made Outers Foul out. I loaded up some ammo. First I formed brass from .303 brass which I have and then after formed, I neck sized them with my .308 dies. I use my .303 seater (all lee dies) to seat the bullets. This past weekend I shot 5 rounds at 100 yards in 1 3/8 in. with a scope (the parts gun came without any sights buy drilled and taped for a side scope mount). Ideal (lyman) cast bullet (old design) 308 290 212gr. w/gc Saeco green (home brew) 20gr of 2400. So yes I am going to order some real 30/40 brass and dies. I loaded these very long (3.164) so they are single feed only. I used the bullet in the barrel and cleaning rod method to load them out to just touch the rifling. I sized them to 3.105 with a gas check. I made my own neck spud (m die) and open the neck to 3.10 and I flare the mouth with the lee expander. The 311291 bullet did well the week before with 16gr of 2400 with 4 shots in .53 in. at 50 yards. Both days were very breezy. The .303 brass is well short of spec. but It Shoots!!! . It is great fun when it all comes together. even better if you think you know what you did made it so. Maybe.... Now to repeat it a few times. JB

Dale53
03-11-2006, 01:03 AM
I'd say, "Congratulations!". Success does not always come when we expect it. It is GOOD when it does!

Dale53

Buckshot
03-11-2006, 06:09 AM
..............JBM, concratulations! Doing 1.375" at 100 yards is superb results. If your Krag is like mine is in the throat-leade department, in order to have a slug engrave AND work though the magazine I had to go to the Lyman 311407 Loverin design. I don't exactly recall the other slug, but it may have been the 314299 I was using. It would engrave but like your problem, mine was the same in that it was too long to feed.

I have a new Boyds stock and handguard for my sporterized Krag (uncut barrel) and hope one of these days to find the time to put them together!

.................Buckshot

KCSO
03-12-2006, 07:46 PM
303 brass is also smaller in base diameter. you will need to watch for case head seperation.

trk
03-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Well here are the results I got from a Parts gun I picked up at a gun show (cut down Krag 30/40 sporter carbine). After boiling out the “sewer Pipe” barrel with my home made Outers Foul out.
..... JB

JB - I've got an M1 barrel that refuses to come clean - dark - but has good rifling and patches run smooth through it. Any recommendation on cleaning? What solutions did you use?

Are you going to the gun show in Roanoke this weekend? I'll be there Sat. am before volunteer work at the radio station at noon.

Buckshot
03-13-2006, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=trk]JB - I've got an M1 barrel that refuses to come clean - dark - but has good rifling and patches run smooth through it. Any recommendation on cleaning? What solutions did you use?QUOTE]

..............Not JB but I'll suggest wrapping some 3 or 4 ought steel wool on a bristle brush. One of those nylon or tynex types would be best. Otherwise if using Sweet's in rotation it'll be blue due to the brush wearing. You can't tell if it's barrel fouling or the brush that's producing the copper. On a couple real cruddy Turk Mausers (in particular) and a couple others it worked great.

Using penetrating oil on the steel wool I'd run it back and forth till it got easy, then I let it set a bit. Patched it out and patched in some Sweets until there was no blue then back to the steel wool (add more to the brush). When after a couple trys Sweets wouldn't show any blue I went to Iosso bore paste.

This brought a M38/46 Turk up to a pretty nice shiny barrel and a M88/14/35 Turked Commisson that looked pretty good to begin with, gleams.

...............Buckshot

JBMauser
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
JB here, I second Buckshot, I only use the home made foul out as a last resort. I always have to look up the formula, peroxide and windex with amonia I think, don't swear to it. It is on the net.

I scrub first and boil later. I don't use steel wool but I do use some choreboy wraped around a brush and either JB paste or home made substitute of Johnsons floor wax and Bon Ami to scour the bore without harming the rifling. Then I use liquid, shoot it some and repeat. The boil method has some issues such as removing bluing. As martha might say, not a good thing! JB

JBMauser
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Here is the web site for the Home made foul out and other great bore cleaners. I was wrong about the Windex. it is regular amonia. see here.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Best of luck, JB