PDA

View Full Version : Lee Liquid Alox on any boolit?

jeffrice6
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Looking to start casting for my rcbs 44-250-K and would like to know if I can tumble lube with Lee Alox or do I HAVE to use a lube/sizer?

Which actually brings me to another question........Can I size this bullet with an inexpensive Lee sizing kit or must I use a lube/sizer?

Thanks

mpmarty
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
LEE liquid alox should work fine. Try to make a dummy round with the unsized boolit and see if it chambers in all the chambers (assuming it's for a revolver).
If it chambers lube some up and try them. If the boolit is too large to chamber you can use the lee push through sizer to size to .429 or whatever size you want that is available. You would probably be best with a .430 or even a .431 to avoid leading caused by too small a boolit. Welcome to the cult.

jonk
06-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I would like to say that my beautiful bullets sized in my lube-sizer shoot better than the ugly brown goopy things coated with Lee LA.

I can't say that though. :) Fact is until you hit really high velocity or use a really long rifle barrel, the LLA seems to do just as well as anything- in MY experience- many here would disagree.

Ian Robertson
06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Okay, so can you lube and size a TL bullet in a regular sizer/luber? Thinking backwards so to speak.

jack19512
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I would like to say that my beautiful bullets sized in my lube-sizer shoot better than the ugly brown goopy things coated with Lee LA.

I can't say that though. :) Fact is until you hit really high velocity or use a really long rifle barrel, the LLA seems to do just as well as anything- in MY experience- many here would disagree.

You had me going there for a second until I read the second paragraph. :) I would have to be one that agrees with you. I wanted to try other lubes and purchased one of the lubes advertised on the forum but so far I am getting better accuracy with the LLA.

It could be me, maybe I'm just not doing something right. And I have only tried the new lube in my .454 Casull so far so I'm not giving up on the new lube yet.

jack19512
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Looking to start casting for my rcbs 44-250-K and would like to know if I can tumble lube with Lee Alox or do I HAVE to use a lube/sizer?

Which actually brings me to another question........Can I size this bullet with an inexpensive Lee sizing kit or must I use a lube/sizer?

Thanks

I just put my boolits in a zip lock bag and pour a little LLA in the bag and coat the boolits that way. Then put the boolits on a piece of wax paper to dry.

I use the Lee sizers but you are suppose to relube after sizing.

stubshaft
06-07-2009, 10:18 PM

+1 - What Jonk said. I use the lubri-sizer now just to seat gas checks on bullets that I shoot as "as cast".

stubshaft
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM

+1 - What Jonk said. The only thing I use my lubrisizer for is to seat gas checks on bullets tht I shoot as cast or for rifle bullets that will see 2400+fps.

jrquigley
06-07-2009, 11:30 PM
A quick note regarding tumble lube: I have been shooting commercial cast 405 grain bullets in my .45-70 Marlin 1895 CB and was getting some leading. The bullet has one grease groove and commercial blue hard lube. Velocity is about 1300 fps. I thinned the Lee lube about 50% with mineral spirits and lubed the bullets in a zip-lock bag, as mentioned before. After they dried, the lube was not too soft. The bullets grouped better by about a half-inch at 100 yards and there has been no leading with about 50 rounds down the tube. Groups are now on the order of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch.

I usually shoot the RCBS bullet that weighs about 420 grains with gas check and lube. My normal alloy is WW mixed with a bit of 50-50 solder. With Alox or RCBS green lube, these bullets do not lead in this velocity regime.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Jeff, you got good answers , for the amount of information you gave, it helps to give a little more info about what gun you are using and what the dimensions of the cylinder/barrel are, or maybe you are shooting a 44 carbine ? Or a TC ? :(

Yes you can shoot tumble lube boolits sized in a regular sizer or the Lee sizers, but you need to know the cylinder throat size and the barrel grove diameter to size properly for your gun, if it is a rifle, slug the bore, otherwise you may buy several sizers before you get it right. If you get lucky, you may be able to shoot as cast , just tumble lube them and go shoot.[smilie=1:

jeffrice6
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Good answers indeed!! I will be shooting my Marlin 1894. I have not slugged my barrel yet, just going what most others have said .432

My plan was to pick up one of Ranch Dog's .432 sizing dies and up-size to the .432dimension (if thats possible) And then just lube with the Lee Alox. I'm new to this & want the results with as little cash outlay as possible. Am I on the right track?

My normal load is a 240gr Laser Cast (.431) pushed at about 1600fps as per my load data (don't have a chrono) with pretty good accuracy and no leading to speak of.

wallenba
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Recently I discovered in my garage a bag of old Bedwell commercially cast and lubed 45 colt bullets. Being frugal I loaded 100 of them. On 50 of them I tumble lubed over the existing lube that still looked good. I shot 50 each in each of my Vaquero's. The one without the Alox
needed to be cleaned with a Lewis lead remover. The Alox bullets left NO lead! I would have thought that just seating them woul displace the Alox due to the existing lube. I'm going to try this again and switch guns.

dk17hmr
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
My plan was to pick up one of Ranch Dog's .432 sizing dies and up-size to the .432dimension (if thats possible)

Cant really do that if the bullet is smaller than .432 to start with. I use LLA on alot of my bullets mostly because I am lazy and dont want to sit in front of my RCBS lube sizer for hours at a time. Some of my best results have been with 1 coat of LLA and than 2 coats of Johnsons Paste Wax.

Leftoverdj
06-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Okay, so can you lube and size a TL bullet in a regular sizer/luber? Thinking backwards so to speak.

Yes. Need a soft lube, though. NRA Formula and homemade Felix work fine.

jonk
06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Weighing back in: with Lee TL designs I sometimes do both- use 50/50 lube AND a thin coat of LLA. But yes, you can just lube 'normally' in a sizer.

Actually, sometimes I do both with a lot of bullets...