PDA

View Full Version : "Cast Bullets" by E.H. Harrison: Bugging the NRA to Stock it Again

BarryinIN
06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I just sent the NRA Store an email asking them to return to selling this book.
I'm asking others to do the same, please.

I can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a post suggesting this book. But since copies are hard to find for sale, and often rather expensive when you do see one, it's apparent to me there aren't enough to go around.

I know bullet casting isn't the biggest part of the shooting sports so it may not be the biggest seller, but I think there is enough demand to make it sell well enough. There are more people getting started in casting everyday (probably thanks to ammo costs) as anyone who has tried to order anything like mould handles or other common items can attest.
Between us new guys, those who have never been able to buy a new copy, and those whose copies are getting ragged, I think they could sell the book.

The email to request items to be added to the NRA Store:
products@nrahq.org

Thanks.

KennethF
06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I totaly agree with the above. I have an old copy of " Cast Bullets" and it a great amount of information about boolit casting for such a small package. I would hate to be without mine.

Other valuable, out of print, publications are the Handloader magazine anuals 1990, 1991, 1992. I think that these are the only 3 that they produced.

I have done as you requested and emailed NRA and asked them to make "Cast Bullets" book avaiable again.

KennethF

Nrut
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Good idea Barry!

truckmsl
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Great idea. E-mail sent to the NRA.

jhrosier
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Now here is something that just begs for a group buy.

Jack

Sixgun Symphony
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM

Jack

Agreed :castmine:

Slow Elk 45/70
06-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes to a group buy, if we can find a supplier....I could use several copies, give to friends who really need one.

Norseman
06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Maybe Lee can print them :kidding:

JDFuchs
06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I just bought a used copy for $60 some form Amazon.com. Im glad i did

4570guy
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I bought mine off of abebooks.com some time back. At that time, there were several copies listed. I just looked and there are none listed right now. Keep an eye on abebooks and one will show up.

Pepe Ray
06-07-2009, 04:56 PM
What about the Supplement #1?
I have both, in great condition. Will be counting pages ,anticipating a total scan.
Sounds like a lot of work. moving it from paper to a CD.
TTYL
Pepe Ray

fatnhappy
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
moving it from paper to CD is no big deal. Reprinting it is no big deal. Doing either legally is a big deal. The real issue is getting the NRA to republish their copywrited material, which they legally own, or licensing another publisher to print or distribute the material. BarryinIN has the right idea.

BTW I got my copies for $10 on ebay. The seller had a "BIN" and must not have known what it's worth

Pepe Ray
06-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Yep, JAIT, 165 pages. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

BarryinIN
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe Lee can print them :kidding:

I'm new to this, but even I know that it would run undersize by about 20 pages.:-D

Thanks to everyone who has, or is going to, email them. Maybe someone there will show up at work tomorrow morning to find a string of emails asking for this book.

Hopefully, something will happen here.
I know the reasoning against it will be a perceived lack of interest/sales. But I'd think that if they can justify stocking door stop alarms, leather garment bags, and fleece throws, they can probably keep some books about boolits around to sell.

I know I can find one on a used book site (someday), but I'd rather spend the effort this way if it will get a bunch of new ones printed and in circulation. And I'd rather give the money to the NRA than some book seller I know nothing about.

Since I'm fantasizing, maybe any new edition could include some updates by C. E. Harris and/or others.

Gee_Wizz01
06-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I bought my copy along with the supplement in the early 90's and it's well worn now. Even back then the book was difficult to get from the NRA. I had to call them several times to find it in stock. I was told they only printed a few at time because it wasn't in big demand. I think they might be surprised now, judging from the fact that bullet molds are out of stock everywhere. Hopefully the resurgence in bullet casting will get the NRA interested enough to at least republish these books, and maybe even a print a few new articles.

G

fatnhappy
06-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I bought my copy along with the supplement in the early 90's and it's well worn now. Even back then the book was difficult to get from the NRA. I had to call them several times to find it in stock. I was told they only printed a few at time because it wasn't in big demand. I think they might be surprised now, judging from the fact that bullet molds are out of stock everywhere. Hopefully the resurgence in bullet casting will get the NRA interested enough to at least republish these books, and maybe even a print a few new articles.

G

the other factor that might encourage them to rerun the book is the incredible change to the printing industry since the 90's. They could print short digital (just in time) runs rather than huge offset or flexo runs and still turn a profit on the book sales.

trust me when i say that.

Treetop
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Email sent!

cbrick
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
A few years ago I did the same asking people to contact the NRA publications asking for a new printing of this exceptional book. I received a short reply that this wasn't going to happen. I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did, this book should be on every casters bench.

The books referenced by KennethF from Wolfe Publishing are currently available from Wolfe on CD's and are worth far more than their asking price.

Rick

BarryinIN
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
BTW, if anyone gets a reply this time around, could you let us know here?
I haven't heard anything yet. Not that I expected to get an email from the NRA Store at 9:05 this morning saying I could expect it in stock any day.

JIMinPHX
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
How old is the copyright? Is it time to make this thing into a PDF yet?

markinalpine
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
...and asked "How about reprinting Col. E. H. Harrison's Cast Bullets?"

Question sent to : <Products@nrahq.org>

Here is their reply:
Thank you for your support of the NRA. There are currently no plans to reprint “Cast Bullets.” We’ve had this request, but currently it is not in our plans to do so.

Thank you,
Brian Evans
NRAstore™ Merchandise Buyer
National Rifle Association
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
bevans@nrahq.org
www.nrastore.com

We need to keep pestering these people.
Mark :coffeecom

mpmarty
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Sixgunner.Com - Black Hills Ammunition - Belt Mountain Base Pins - Buffalo Bore Ammunition - Leverguns.Com

Lubricating Cast Bullets

By Glen E. Fryxell

OK, I’m going to ask a stupid question. What does bullet lube do?

I’ll bet most of you answered that bullet lube lubricates the passage of the bullet down a rifled bore, to eliminate galling of a soft metal as it traverses a hard metal cutting edge. Well, yeah, I suppose that’s true enough, but that’s not all it does, nor is it necessarily even the most important job that it does. Let’s assume for the moment that lubrication is the sum total of its job -- is the lube on a given bullet lubricating the passage of the bullet that carries it, or the bullet that follows after it? Another way that I’ve had this question posed to me was, should the lube groove(s) be on the front of the bullet (where they could lube the passage of that bullet), or towards the rear of the bullet (where they could leave a healthy lube films for the next bullet in line)?

Part of the problem with this line of reasoning is that it assumes that the lube is delivered to the bore by simple bullet/barrel contact and smearing, and hence the lube can only lube that which is behind the reservoir (lube groove). Looking at things in this manner results in a fairly simplistic, almost static picture (hard surface, soft surface, slippery stuff in between), and the firing of a revolver shot is a very dynamic process. What else does bullet lube do? Or perhaps more accurately, what else is done to the bullet lube?

Let’s just set the record straight, lube is not simply smeared from the lube grooves onto the bore, nor is lubrication the sole function of bullet lube.

There were a couple of excellent articles published a few years back in The Cast Bullet on lube pumping mechanisms. In a nutshell, the conclusions were that bullet lube was pumped to the bore surface by 3 different mechanisms -- compression, linear acceleration and radial acceleration. In compression, the force applied to the base of the bullet causes the compression of the bullet’s core underneath the lube groove, resulting in expansion of the core diameter and shrinkage of the lube groove width. Both of these factors results in the reduction of the volume of the lube groove itself, and hence compress the lube and force it to the bullet/barrel interface. There is solid physical evidence supporting this mechanism (especially in rifles). The linear acceleration mechanism is pretty straightforward -- the inertia of the lube at rest causes it to be forced towards the rear of the lube groove as the bullet is accelerated forward by the burning powder. When the lube encounters the beveled (or radiused) rear face of the lube groove, it is once again forced to the barrel surface. In the third lube pumping mechanism, radial acceleration, as the bullet begins to spin faster and faster as it progresses down the barrel, at some point sufficient radial acceleration (think "centrifugal force") is generated to overcome the viscosity of the lube and it gets flung off of the lube groove surface and outward onto the barrel. All three of these mechanisms come into play when any cast bullet is fired, although the magnitude of each will vary significantly with the application (e.g. .38 target wadcutter vs. .30-06 or .45-70 hunting load), and will be dependant on velocity, pressure, alloy hardness, bullet diameter, etc. Indeed, the magnitude of each will vary for any given shot, depending on where the bullet is in the barrel -- linear acceleration will be dominant early in the shot, compression will take over as pressure peaks and radial acceleration will become more significant as the velocity increases.

Delineation of these mechanisms provides a significant level of understanding in terms of cast bullet shooting and design, as well as bullet lube formulation. However, these mechanisms still have the bullet serving as nothing more than a brute-force paintbrush, slapping on a fresh coat of grease of the bore for the next bullet in line. This is all well and good, but it an incomplete description of the process. I believe that there is another mechanism operating, one that accentuates a second and perhaps even more important role that bullet lube serves.

Back in the 50s and 60s, some very knowledgeable handloaders performed extensive tests to understand what made the best bullet lube and why. One of the more notable efforts in this area was the work done by E. H. Harrison of the NRA Technical Staff. These results were originally published in the American Rifleman, and were subsequently reprinted in "Cast Bullets" by E. H. Harrison, and available through the NRA (buy this book if you don’t already have it!). The most important property of the lube formulation was found not to be the inherent lubricity of the mix, but rather its flow properties (we will return to this shortly). It is interesting to note that Mr. Harrison was singing the praises of moly loaded bullet lubes back in the 1950s. It seems "the wheel" has been rediscovered…

Why are flow properties important? Most barrel tolerances are generally good to less than .001", where can the lube flow to? As the bullet undergoes the violence of being engraved by force, if there is any slippage or variation in groove/land width, this will result in there being a gap between the trailing edge of the land and the groove engraved in the bullet’s face. Gas molecules are very, very small things, and at the temperatures and pressures of burning powder they‘re buzzing like an angry swarm of hornets. Even a gap between the trailing edge of the land and the engraved groove of the bullet of only .001" will leave enough room for over 50,000 of these gas molecules to line up "shoulder to shoulder" and still not bump into the outer boundaries of the gap. The point of bringing all this up is to show how easy gas leakage is through this sort of defect channel, even though at first glance it appears to be quite small. In addition, there are similar (somewhat smaller) channels on the grooves and lands, left over from the machining processes that gave rise to the rifling, and these defects also contribute to potential gas leakage. Gas pressure rises much faster than the bullet is accelerated, so therefore the as the bullet’s surface is ravaged by the lands and gas leaks past the base band, the lube reservoir becomes pressurized, with the gases entering from the rear and pushing forward. This rapid pressurization forces the lube to flow into the defect channels in the engraved driving band in front of the lube groove, sealing off the gas flow and limiting the damage due to gas cutting. If the cast bullet is appropriately sized, then this controlled injection forms a floating pool of lubricant that follows the bullet down the barrel, lubricating the bullet/barrel interface and sealing the high-pressure gases. Kind of a ballistic stop-leak, if you will.

This is why some of the new hard lubes perform their best at higher pressures. Gas leakage into the lube groove melts the lube, and the liquid lube then gets forced into the microscopic defect channels ahead of the groove. Some of the commercial hard lubes work just fine at 800 fps and 1300 fps, but at intermediate velocities or say 1000 fps, they lose some of their shine. At the lower velocities/pressures there are few demands placed on the lube, and these can be addressed by simple frictional smearing of the lube displaced from the lube groove by the land. As the pressures/velocities rise into the intermediate range (+P level, 20,000 psi, 1000 fps) however, the mechanisms outlined above can’t pump the hard lube to the bullet/barrel interface fast enough to keep up with the lubrication/sealing demands of the system, resulting in leading and poor accuracy. As pressures/velocities climb into the magnum level (35,000 psi, 1300+ fps), enough hot gases are injected into the lube groove to melt some or all of the hard lube, allowing all of the lube pumping mechanisms outlined above to come into play, resulting in effective lubrication. These high-pressure gases also cause the molten hard lube to be injected into the defect channels in the forward driving bands, thereby sealing off gas cutting. Lube pumping and high-pressure injection cannot take place efficiently until a hard lube melts. For a soft lube, it’s not necessary to melt the lube for this injection to happen, the soft lubes are capable of flowing from the start, which is why they lubricate cast bullet revolver loads effectively across the entire range of velocities from 600-1500 fps. The commercial hard lubes are well-suited for magnum revolver and rifle cast bullet velocities.

Undersized cast bullets leave a gap between the bullet and barrel, leaving them unable to restrict this pressure-induced lube flow. As a result, the lube very quickly gets blown out of the barrel in front of bullet, leaving the bullet "naked", unlubricated and unprotected. This phenomenon is especially problematic with the hard lubes; once molten, the low viscosity liquid lube gets blown out rapidly if the bullet is undersized.

Concerning the flow properties vs. lubricity issues cited above, E. H. Harrison explored the use of molybdenum disulfide (aka "moly") as a bullet lube back in the 1950s. He found that dry moly was inadequate as a bullet lubricant for .30-06 loads at 2000 fps, but that when it was incorporated into a more traditional grease/wax lube formulation, that it worked quite nicely indeed. By incorporating moly into a soft lube, the desirable flow properties of the lube are maintained, as is the ability to leave behind a moly coating on the barrel. This moly coating serves to protect the bore from oxidation, in addition to serving as a lubricant, preventing adhesion of leading deposits. More recently, a lot of work has been done looking at hard-cast bullets dry coated with moly, and this has been found to work nicely for routine handgun velocities in the 800-1000 fps range. These observations reinforce the conclusion that simple lubrication is sufficient at lower velocities, but as pressures and velocities climb, the role of bullet lube is also that of a fluid gasket to seal the bullet/barrel interface.

In summary, bullet lube is pumped from the lube groove to the barrel surface by compression, linear acceleration and radial acceleration. In addition, lube is injected forward during the firing process, as the result of high-pressure gas leakage into the lube groove. This injection process forms a floating fluid gasket around the bullet, and serves to limit gas cutting and is a kind of ballistic stop-leak. Hard lubes must first melt before they can be pumped or injected by any of these mechnisms. By incorporating moly into the mix, the lube delivered to the barrel surface can serves to prevent adhesion of future leading deposits by passivating the steel surface.

G.E.Fryxell@worldnet.att.net

HOME - SHOOTING RANGE - BUNKHOUSE - BRANDING CREW - TAFFIN TESTS - GALLERIES - ORDER TAFFIN'S BOOKS

257 Shooter
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I sent Mr. Evans a request to make Cast Bullets and Supplement 1 available as an E-Book or CD. I hope they will look at doing this. I cannot find a copy for under $75.00.

TCLouis
12-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I have a copy of the Harrison book and enjoy it, but I think some at this site has progressed beyond some of their testing. Technology, available chemicals, and much more tinkering by man more folks have advanced some things greatly

IF NRA wants to claim they are there for shooters a reprint, or better yet an update with both paper and CD versions would be great.
Of course Lyman and RCBS need to update their cast bullet manuals also.

Hopefully they will spell it correctly this time . . . "BOOLIT" that is.

In the meantime I go with what I read from all of the experts here and . . . . Verify.

Recluse
12-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Jack

Absolutely!

:coffee:

Shepherd2
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
JIMinPHX - Copyright National Rifle Association of America 1979. Probably got my copy shortly after that.

beagle
12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I agree that this is a worthwhile project and I'd be jumping on it with both feet if I didn't have a copy and the supplement.

But, the data in it is getting a little long in the tooth as has been pointed out and it's time for a revised edition.

Still, it's a good read and has much pertinent data in it/beagle

257 Shooter
12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I received this reply from the NRA. More e-mails will help.
Mr. Dudley,

I appreciate your response. We do get a decent amount of requests for this book as it is no longer in production. In order to carry the book again, we would have to establish a production run. Since I’ve been here, I’ve been informed that it likely won’t happen. However, if enough requests are made, it’s possible something could be done. I believe it’s an option as well that another party can purchase production rights, I’m not sure though. A digital version of the book may be a good compromise and obviously easier to produce. I’ll see what more I can find out, and hopefully give you some information. Thank you again for your email and your lifelong support of the NRA.

Sincerely,

Brian Evans

11250 Waples Mill Road

Fairfax, VA 22030

bevans@nrahq.org

www.nrastore.com

Dear Mr. Evans,

I would like for the NRA store to make available reprints of Col. Harrison's book Cast Bullets and Supplement 1 available as a CD purchase or a convenient e-book down load. I know you have had many requests for a paper reprint and that might be a hard thing to put into action. However with desk top publishing tools available creating an E-Book or CD is a very cost effective method to get this information into the hands of NRA members.

Sincerely,

HollandNut
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
How old is the copyright? Is it time to make this thing into a PDF yet?

I got my first copy in the late '70's , along with the supplement as well ..

Copyright is 1979

I have a copy that is dated 1990 and fifth printing , wish I could find the supplement now as well ..

I dont know about these copyright things , but I doubt the reprints extend the copyright ..

What is copyright ?? 28 or 30 years IIRC ??

BCall
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
What is copyright ?? 28 or 30 years IIRC ??

28 yrs for stuff before 1978, after 78 it is the life of the author plus 70 years. Billy

Wayne Smith
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
E-mail sent, referencing this site and our purchasing power. If only half of us buy it there would be a guaranteed profit for them I would guess.

HollandNut
12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm sure our "technology" has passed the good Colonel's writings , but it is still a great reference ..

C.E. "Ed" Harris did a lot of the work with Colonel Harrison ..

I dont know if he is here , but he is at the CBA forum ..

Dont know if he has any weight with them or not ..

Something along the lines of a CD would be much more cost effective than printed matter ..

mpmarty
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Yahoo! Mail

Close this window

Flag this message
RE: cast bullets by E. H. Harrison book request
Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:41 AM
"Products" <Products@nrahq.org>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"'Marty Patrovsky'" <mpatrovsky@yahoo.com>

Mr. Patrovsky,

Thank you for your lifelong support of the NRA. As of now, there are no plans to re-produce the “Cast Bullets” book. I will look into the logistics of getting the book re-printed. We do get requests regarding the book.

Thank you,

Brian Evans

11250 Waples Mill Road

Fairfax, VA 22030

bevans@nrahq.org

www.nrastore.com

Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 2:39 PM
To: Products
Subject: cast bullets by E. H. Harrison book request

Greetings:

I am a member of a group of cast bullet shooters and the above captioned title is in short supply and the demand is great.

Would it be possible for the NRA Book store to offer this item again?

Thank you,

Marty Patrovsky

tding
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Mr. Weidinger,

I appreciate your response. We do get a decent amount of requests for this book as it is no longer in production. In order to carry the book again, we would have to establish a production run. Since I’ve been here, I’ve been informed that it likely won’t happen. However, if enough requests are made, it’s possible something could be done. I believe it’s an option as well that another party can purchase production rights, I’m not sure though. I’ll see what more I can find out, and hopefully give you some information. Thank you again for your email and your lifelong support of the NRA.

Sincerely,

Brian Evans

11250 Waples Mill Road

Fairfax, VA 22030

bevans@nrahq.org

www.nrastore.com

Harry O
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Are you aware that there are at least two different versions of that booklet? I have two I bought on gunshow tables about 10 years apart, long before they became collectors items. The two are different printings (one in 1987 and one in 1993). They have exactly one page different in the two. It is page 17. The one printed in 1993 is of more interest to me. On it, there is an article on the Lyman Composite Bullet Casting Kit. The 1987 book has an article about using different cast bullets in different T/C Contender barrels for Iron Critters (shilouette shooting).

Evidently there were at least two other printing, which I do not have copies of and do not know if they are the same.

bruce drake
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I mailed my letter to Mr. Evans today asking for them to make an electronic copy available in pdf format for people to purchase.

Bruce

Blacksmith
12-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Here is a link to the "skinny" on copyright from Cornell University:
http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Blacksmith

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I have one also and the wolf 3 books.plus the cast bullet book. my NRA book is 1961.cost $3.50.my goodness $75 wow.
I also just found I could cut and past that email address and have sent a request.
hope it helps.

BarryinIN
07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I know it's old info in the book, but I still want one. I just don't want to pay anything near what they bring.

I asked the NRA before, but never got a response. Today I got an email from the NRA Store selling stuff, so I sent one back asking again.
I actually got a response within an hour. Not much different from those posted above, though:

Thank you for your support of the NRA. Currently, I have yet to hear of any plans to reproduce the book. That decision is made by the executives. I have received requests for the book. You are more than welcome to submit a formal request to our Office of the Secretary regarding the book. That's where the requests ultimately end up.

NRA Office of the Secretary
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you,

Brian Evans
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Dannix
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
To be honest, what we should really be doing is asking them to release it under a creative commons attribution license. Then we could break the binding on one, scan it, and make it freely available. Even added a few chapters if the veterans here would like to do so.

Little assets would be required for them to release it under such a license. I don't know the numbers, obviously, but I imagine they could lose quite a lost of money even just digitizing it.

Right now it's just locked-up info, helping only part of its intended audience. :-?

I wonder if we had a group buy with a hundred names at $50 each, if that would be enough to convince them to print and/or digitize it?

SciFiJim
07-06-2010, 08:40 PM
To be honest, what we should really be doing is asking them to release it under a creative commons attribution license.

Since they don't seem to have any interest in reprinting it, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Any idea who would be the person to ask?

oldtoolsniper
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
And here is what I think folks are looking for. It is called "The Art of Bullet Casting Collection" on dvd.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?ProductID=809
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Bullet-Casting-Collection/dp/1879356759

Pepe Ray
07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
NOPE!!
That's a Wolfe production.
Harrison's is purely NRA . There's also a suppliment.
Wolf was smart. They realized how vulerinable they were to pirating and so decided to reap the rewards for themselves. The NRA management are idiots. They'll set on it till it's too late.
Oh well'
Pepe Ray

tonyjones
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
If there is enough interest for a group buy and NRA will allow someone else to republish the book Precision Shooting Magazine may be willing to do it.
Regards,
Tony

Dannix
07-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Well, now that I have a moment to be more specific here, perhaps it would be best to ask for:
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported Licence. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/)

This way if the NRA wants to print it later, they can, and not be concerned with competing against another hard-copy publishing firm (or at least a commercial one anyway).

For the record (for any of the other techy guys here), I did consider ShareAlike, but after consideration I would strongly not recommend it for reasons you many PM me about if you are unaware of what they may be.

Dannix
02-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Did this dwindle out? Maybe we need a few Egyptians on board?

nanuk
02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
sometimes it is difficult getting the big wheels of an inertia machine to loosen up.

sometimes you can't

seems silly to me that if they are not going to reprint it, and have no interest in doing so, that they would not allow someone to put it out there on CD or PDF.

it would only increase exposure of the NRA. They could also ask for a donation with each download. even if only 10% did, that would still be more than they are getting now.

HammerMTB
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
seems silly to me that if they are not going to reprint it, and have no interest in doing so, that they would not allow someone to put it out there on CD or PDF.

Fear- the great motivator....
NRA fears they might not make money.
Individuals fear they might violate copyright laws and get in trouble.
I have an idea- what if an NRA member made a pdf electronic copy available, for a contribution to the NRA. Make it reasonable, but enough to more than equal the profits of the print version.
NRA would have to shoot themselves in the ____ to prosecute anyone who was seeking contributions in that way.
Lotsa folk get a copy of the book, and those who want one printed just take it to the copy/print store and print it out.
I have the original book, but not the supplement. Anyone have the means to make it into a pdf?

SciFiJim
02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
NRA would have to shoot themselves in the ____ to prosecute anyone who was seeking contributions in that way.

Still a bigger chance that many are willing to take.

If you can scan it, making a pdf is easy. Google "CutePDF"

HammerMTB
02-16-2011, 12:02 AM
If you can scan it, making a pdf is easy. Google "CutePDF"

If I could scan it, I'd already be more than 1/2 way there. I'm already NRA Patron.
I do think the supplement would be nice to have, too.

CATS
02-16-2011, 12:29 AM
I have not seen a copy of this book so would one of you who has a copy give us an idea of the range of content? If the members think that this is a must have then I am very interested.
Thanks!
CATS

crawfobj
02-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Has anyone asked the NRA how many they'd need to kickstart production on this? If we have an idea on the volume they're looking for, we could see if it's a volume we could drum up here or elsewhere. Seems to me there is a market for this and it's an ideal target for a group buy.

I'm proof that recent increases in ammo costs have driven more folks to roll their own (been doing that for 10+ years) and cast their own (I'm a noob at this) and that the demand is higher now than it's been in a while. I'd be willing to bet that Lyman's sales of it's updated cast boolit manual have been brisk. I bought one and would buy the NRA book too.

Just a thought.

crawfobj
02-16-2011, 12:44 AM
One more thought. Wolfe Publishing reprints a bunch of old books. Wonder if they or someone like them would be interested in buying the rights to this one if the NRA isn't going to reprint. Win for NRA, Wolfe, and us...

quasi
02-16-2011, 02:53 AM
I have both the book and the supplement. A lot of the info. in them is wrong and/or outdated as we now understand things. This website and the Cast pics website are much more useful and current.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
E-mail sent to Brian Bevans at bevans@nrahq.org

Mike

DukeInFlorida
02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
If any of you have a copy of the book that you would allow to be copied, I have a good scanner, and the means for making it into a pdf file.

I could post the resultant pdf file for free download.

The scanning part would require that the binding be freed, so that single pages could be scanned, one after the other. I'd be happy to do the work, and would return the book to it's owner after the scanning was complete.

I'm taking the NRA's librarian's comments to mean that it might be OK with them if someone just digitally published the work.

adrians
02-17-2011, 03:18 PM
i e-mailed "mr brian" and he said he was going to look and see if lyman even own the publishing rights anymore, thats as far as he would go with an answer.:evil::violin::twisted:

Leadmelter
02-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I have both the book and supplement in my collection. This is a collection of all his articles and columns from the American Rifleman. Good reading.

Gerry

nanuk
02-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Fear- the great motivator....
NRA fears they might not make money.

Yeah.. so instead they do nothing and make nothing.

I worked for a company that only saw Gross Profit (GP)

I was criticized as my GP was only 15% when they wanted 25% minimum.

I suggested that 25% was possible, but it would require throwing out much product and removing it from my inventory, thereby fooling the bean counters.

I also suggested that although my 15% was less, my actual profit in real dollars was more, as I was throwing out less, and therefore, my inventory was not being artificially reduced. AND I was providing a fresher product. (Fresh meat sales)

the answer I got was "We don't care what you think"

Seems the corporate Profit-think has run amok

HangFireW8
02-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah.. so instead they do nothing and make nothing.

Wrong. They get plenty of donations of $$$ and free hunts from the gun mfg's and bullet mfg's while they write articles telling us why we should pay $2 each for premium bullets... not premium cartridges, just the premium bullets.

I've said it before, we are not the growth market.

-HF

HARRYMPOPE
02-20-2011, 12:51 AM
I have both the book and the supplement. A lot of the info. in them is wrong and/or outdated as we now understand things. This website and the Cast pics website are much more useful and current.

yes agree 100% it was good for its time but with the 'net all of the info is available and current.Original copies bring good money for nostalgia not for unavailable cast bullet secrets.

HMP