PDA

View Full Version : Agreat book

Jim
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
My wonderful wife surprised me with a near mint condition copy of "PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF LOADING AMMUNITION". Man, this book has ALL KINDS of info in it!

Bret4207
06-07-2009, 09:29 AM
A truly outstanding read. Despite it's publishing date being so long ago, it still has all the information a reloader needs. Naramore wrote 2 or 3 shorter volumes that had much to offer also.

Another truly great book in this line is J.R. Matterns "Handloading Ammunition". If anything Matterns book is even better than Naramores. The noobs these days miss a lot by ignoring the older volumes.

Jim
06-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Bret,
"Preciate the tip on that book. I'm gonna see can I find one. My wife is a book worm from the word GO and nothing suits her better than me wanting another book.

Bad Water Bill
06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Good books are like good guns. Can you EVER have enough?

Jim
06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Nope.

MtGun44
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Bret,

I went looking for the Mattern book - all I found was one on Amazon for $100 ! I'll keep an
eye out for a more reasonably priced copy.

Bill

Jim
06-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I ran into the same problem.

Bret4207
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Keep an eye on Ebay. The NRA "Firearms Classics Library" reprinted the books, and a lot of others and they come up fairly often. You can also check the Firearms Classics Library (Google?) and get them that way. Beautiful books- leather with gilt edges, all the bells and whistles. Keep and eye out for "Practical Dope on the 22" and "Practical Dope on the Big Bore" too, they're great and CS Landis had a short series, maybe 3-4 books that are all good, but not so much handloading- more on hunting.

jhrosier
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
A lot of the books from the Firearms Classics library are available at Alibris for much better prices than Amazon

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=&keyword=Firearms+Classics+Library&hs.x=9&hs.y=18&hs=Submit

Jack

MtGun44
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Bret and Jack --- Thanks, I just ordered Practical Dope on the 22 from Alibris.

Bill

The Double D
06-08-2009, 12:25 AM
WWW.abebooks.com the world wide book store data base has 11 copies of Matterns book running from $35 to $125.

I'm not sure the hit list will hot link, but here it is. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=j+r+mattern&x=66&y=13

37 hits for Earl Naramore. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=earl+naramore&bi=0&bsi=0&bx=off&ds=30&sortby=2&x=19&y=11&prevpage=2

alamogunr
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Try Abebooks. I have found most of the ones I have looked for there. They are a loose group of book dealers from all over that list on this site. Sometimes you run across a good deal. This is where I found Naramore and Mattern as well as Phil Sharpe's book. If you stay after it, occasionally someone will list what you want at a really good price.
John
W.TN

The Double D
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
If there is a title you are looking for you can log in to www.abebooks.com and make a wants list. When one of the 1000's book dealers taking part list your title you will get an email notice the book is available.

Bret4207
06-08-2009, 07:05 AM
A couple more really meaty books are "The Bullets' Flight- From Powder to Target" by Dr. Franklin Mann, try and get the reprint of Harry Popes personal copy. It has all Popes notes as he wrote them in the margin. Interesting stuff. Phil Sharpes "Complete Guide to Handloading", try and get the 3rd edition, that;s the last with the most meat. Sharpes "The Rifle in America" is a must have for any rifle buff. Henry Stebbins "Pistols- A Modern Encyclopedia" is a fantastic book written in a remarkable style, very friendly, just like you were talking with Henry himself and it has a good deal of cast boolit info. The same goes for his "Rifles- a Modern Encyclopedia", but it lacks a little something I find in the "Pistols" books. Can't put my finger on it, but it's still excellent. Paul Esteys "The 'Chuck Hunter" is an interesting read if you're into the older style of chuck hunting where you actually got out and walked around. Ned Roberts "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" is fascinating, a real good one and so is the later "The Breech Loading Match Rifle" ...no, that's not the right name come to think on it and I can;t find my copy at the moment. Probably I'm looking right at it and not seeing it. Anyway, it's co-authored by Ken Waters and you should be able to find it that way. Excellent books. And anyone that doesn't have Ken Waters "Pet Loads" is just not a real handloader. I'd give up all my other manuals before giving up "Pet Loads", all of them!

jhrosier
06-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Bret,
I would add "Hatcher's Notebook" to your list, near the top.

Jack

Bret4207
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
"Hatchers" is good and so is his "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers". I think the Roberts/Waters book is "The Breech Loading Single Shot Rifle" now that I think on it.

C1PNR
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, this place has done it again! My wallet is further lightened by what I see here.

I just received "Hatcher's Notebook" a month or so ago, still haven't read it all, and now I have Naramore's on the way.

I need to find a quiet corner and get to reading!:drinks: